Steel Framed Cycle Touring Holidays

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Steel Framed Cycle Touring Holidays

Postby Rob74 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:32 am

Noted Bretonbikes Cycle-Touring anyone done something similar....or have other family friendly Cycle-Touring Holiday options/recommendations?

Rob
Rob74

by BNA » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 am

BNA

Re: Steel Framed Cycle Touring Holidays

Postby elantra » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 am

Rob74 wrote:Noted Bretonbikes Cycle-Touring anyone done something similar....or have other family friendly Cycle-Touring Holiday options/recommendations?

That looks like a really good outfit.

I have no experience of cycling in France but i did do some cycling in Moselle valley (Luxemburg and Germany) and Holland many years ago. Was great+++, stayed in cheap hotels mainly, occasionally had difficulty getting a suitable or affordable place to stay.

This outfit has a good reputation, http://www.bikestyletours.com/, though their main focus is on sports riding/events from what i can see. I have spoken to quite a few weekend warrior type riders in Brisbane and the feedback on TdF tours with Bikestyle or Fusion (a brisbane bikeshop) is always very positive +++
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Re: Steel Framed Cycle Touring Holidays

Postby pug/city » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi Rob,
My wife and I hired bikes from http://www.brittanybordersbicycling.com/cycle-hire.html in 2010 to do a cycle tour in Brittany, our plan was to stay in B & Bs, ended up buying a small tent and sleeping bags and camping out. Ate a breakfast at the B & B or patisserie, a big lunch at a cafe or pub, dinner was self made platter of local produce, cheese, crackers, olives, sundried tomato and beer and wine.
The owners, John and Veronica are English ex-pats living in France, easy to communicate with and very helpful.
We followed pretty much their 'Coastal Classique' tour. We hired touring bikes, with a set of panniers, bar bag and map.
Don't recall if the bikes were steel, or ali framed.

Also got a lot of helpful info from Cycling France, a Lonely Planet guide book, second edition from 2009 was current when we went.

Great trip, only difficulty was trying to buy bag of ice [le sac glasson] to cool the beer and champange each afternoon. Frogs must drink hot beer like the poms.

When you speak with people, French, let them know you are Aussie, not poms, French love Australians and hate the poms.
Neil
pug/city

Return to Retro biking