Help identify this frame - Hillman?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Help identify this frame - Hillman?

Postby Beams » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:38 pm

HI,

Wondering if anyone can help me out and identify the frame below. I picked it up from a fellow cycling enthusiast and I am unsure whether its authentic.

The frame has Hillman decals and is very light, sporting a Reynolds 501 Double Butted sticker. The paint scheme I suspect is original; there is yellow overspray inside the head tube and areas where the colours merge are untouched. However, the bottom bracket and drop outs have been attacked with paint, likely from a spray can.

The frame measures 48cm seat tube with a 52cm top tube, which is meant to be unusual. The frame has two bolts positioned on the down tube, near the bottom bracket and feature V brake bosses. I've stripped paint from the bottom bracket and can't find a build number.

Before I send Hillman a email - is there anyone that can shed some light on the frame?

Beams

by BNA » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 pm

BNA

Re: Help identify this frame - Hillman?

Postby GaryF » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 pm

I asked Henry Hill about a Hillman Decal Set like the one on your bike frame and he said that he didn't have any decals of that style anymore. I bought a later version of the Hillman decals instead. That was around 1992. If it is a forgery, it must have happened quite a while ago. I would think it's original. BTW yellow was Henry Hills favourite bike colour.
GaryF

Postby munga » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:39 am

'bolts' are perhaps for a 3rd bidon cage?
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby utedeej » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Like munga said, looks like a touring frame with that third spot for a bidon. My Hillman has got different decals too.
utedeej

Postby Beams » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

I emailed Hillman and they asked for a serial number from the bottom bracket - so it appears that this is the only way to identify if its a custom Hillman. Did Hillman ever make "off-the-shelf" non custom frames? Having a look around the internet - it seems many others also have psuedo-Hillman without any numbers. I also read somewhere that in the 70s Hillman sold a whole bunch of decals, which might explain all the imitations.
Beams

Postby Beams » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:56 pm

I had the frame blasted and a serial number has appeared on the seat tube.

It looks about 10 digits long: A903(?)615492. I think old Treks had longer serial numbers, but they started with T instead of the A.

Beams

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:47 pm

Could try an ultra violet light over it, may show up more details.
wurtulla wabbit

Postby jonbays » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 pm

In the 70's before I could afford to have a custom frame built for me I had my old frame resprayed by Hillman with my name on it like you did if you were trying to be a racer and it came back with Hillman decals even though it wasn't a Hillman frame at all.

Beams wrote:Thanks for the replies so far.

I emailed Hillman and they asked for a serial number from the bottom bracket - so it appears that this is the only way to identify if its a custom Hillman. Did Hillman ever make "off-the-shelf" non custom frames? Having a look around the internet - it seems many others also have psuedo-Hillman without any numbers. I also read somewhere that in the 70s Hillman sold a whole bunch of decals, which might explain all the imitations.
jonbays

Postby HLC » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:08 pm

jonbays wrote:In the 70's before I could afford to have a custom frame built for me I had my old frame resprayed by Hillman with my name on it like you did if you were trying to be a racer and it came back with Hillman decals even though it wasn't a Hillman frame at all.

Beams wrote:Thanks for the replies so far.

Serial number is nothing like either hillman's I have owned (still have one)

They have a 4 digit serial number on the BB shell and steerer. Both mine have been 32xx
HLC

Return to Retro biking