WILLO?? id help needed

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

WILLO?? id help needed

Postby servicimo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi guys, I have just picked this up and I'm prett sure its not a willo as the stickers suggest. Seems like a fairly nice frame an fork exept for a dent in the tt. Its a 56 which is too big for me so it will be going to the bay. I just want to check what it is before doing so. It has suntour dropouts so would I be correct in thinking it is tange tubes? Any help is appreciated!
one nice bike.....
servicimo

by BNA » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:17 pm

BNA

Re: WILLO?? id help needed

Postby sunho » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:17 pm

what does the bb say? letter number letter and 5 numbers?
what size was the seat post? 26.4?
the dropouts aren't cheap stamped ones but even with forged, doesnt mean you have anything that much more $$$
what is the running gear on the shifters, RD, and FD?
high probability if it had shimano/suntour gear it's going to have some kind of tange tubing.... you'll know if they are gas pipes if they bike frame weighs over 4kg!
as to the quality of the tubing, it could be worth something if the seatpost is 27.2 or thereabouts...

i'd price it at less than 50 unless it had some very nice components on it... and it looks like someone's already stripped her down...

:S
sunho

Postby morini » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:05 pm

What size is it? I'm chasing a 60cm frame. Looks close.
morini

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:50 pm

morini wrote:What size is it? I'm chasing a 60cm frame. Looks close.
:D Stop drooling over the pics and read the OPs text ;)
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby servicimo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Ha, yeah its a 56 tt morini. I guess its just one of those generic types that could have been stickered many things. I'll check the seat post to be sure, thanks for the info sunho. It doesnt seem to weigh too much at all. $50 was what I was thinking too! It would make a good shop bike...
one nice bike.....
servicimo

Postby RetroPilot » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:05 am

so this 'Willo" was someone called Peter Williamson, I gather?

this is a frame I have, thinking of selling it, Ive removed the rear derailleur but probably still have it in spares somewhere unless I used it, what type would it be likely to be?

21" frame..seat pole seems to be 27mm even, a 27.2mm one is too tight, a 26.8mm I have is an acceptable fit would probably work but not as firm as this short one which must be 27mm even presumably..

RetroPilot

Postby t-rav » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:02 pm

RetroPilot your frame looks quite similar to a frame I was trying to identify. Mine does not have willo on the seat stay. Lugs look the same, cable routing offset on the left, single bidon, colour is even pretty damn close if no the same with no decals. Mine has long tabs on the inside of the forks, champion on the bb with a frame size and low serial number, shimano droputs.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

servicimo is that a cyclone rd? Could be keen if you want to split.
t-rav

Postby TimW » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:40 pm

Carl Wilson used to make bikes , and used to own a shop . i believe his brand was "Willo". I ride with him occasionally,on the M7 Cycleway and his Son Trent is the DS for Wilson GPM Racing. Tim

Edit, I have Carl on my Facebook contacts, and just had a look, and found this
Image[/URL]

a friend of his posted this bike up, so it appears the "Willo" brand was indeed made by Carl. :D
TimW

Postby RetroPilot » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:51 pm

t-rav wrote:RetroPilot your frame looks quite similar to a frame I was trying to identify. Mine does not have willo on the seat stay. Lugs look the same, cable routing offset on the left, single bidon, colour is even pretty damn close if no the same with no decals. Mine has long tabs on the inside of the forks, champion on the bb with a frame size and low serial number, shimano droputs.

no, interested in all intel, as I only just noticed the 'Willo" stamps today and came looking for what it means, and what the frames features are..was given it maybe 4 years back, complete bar rear wheel..along the way Ive taken the rr deraileur off and used it I fear..
RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:53 pm

TimW wrote:Carl Wilson used to make bikes , and used to own a shop . i believe his brand was "Willo". I ride with him occasionally,on the M7 Cycleway and his Son Trent is the DS for Wilson GPM Racing. Tim

Edit, I have Carl on my Facebook contacts, and just had a look, and found this
Image[/URL]

a friend of his posted this bike up, so it appears the "Willo" brand was indeed made by Carl. :D

So it's Carl wilson, not James Williamson?
RetroPilot

Postby TimW » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:56 pm

Correct!
TimW

Postby t-rav » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:06 pm

RetroPilot wrote:
t-rav wrote:RetroPilot your frame looks quite similar to a frame I was trying to identify. Mine does not have willo on the seat stay. Lugs look the same, cable routing offset on the left, single bidon, colour is even pretty damn close if no the same with no decals. Mine has long tabs on the inside of the forks, champion on the bb with a frame size and low serial number, shimano droputs.

no, interested in all intel, as I only just noticed the 'Willo" stamps today and came looking for what it means, and what the frames features are..was given it maybe 4 years back, complete bar rear wheel..along the way Ive taken the rr deraileur off and used it I fear..

Sorry not interested in your rd, was more thinking about the first post, not realising it was an older thread.

Do any of those features match your bike?

In here are some pictures of my frame.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68077
t-rav

Postby RetroPilot » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:43 pm

supposed to have at least some VIN underneath BB, is it?

cant see showtime, on this one..

RetroPilot

Return to Retro biking