Help with missing Bianchi BB cable guide

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Help with missing Bianchi BB cable guide

Postby Discodan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Well I finally picked up my ebay Bianchi frame and unwrapped it, it's a bit exciting and looks like it will be a fun toy (2001 Bianchi Talledega)

I have discovered that the cable guide under the BB is missing however so I will need to do something about it and would appreciate any guidance (boom tish) you can offer. I've attached a photo of the BB where you can the imprint left by the old guide. Will a generic guide work with a bit of muscle (there are quite a few Campag ones on ebay for example) or does anyone know what guides were used by Bianchi then? I can't see any around for sale that have the same footprint of the missing one.

thanks in advance

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9k6ksdx2h8rkout/photo.JPG
Discodan

by BNA » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:41 pm

BNA

Re: Help with missing Bianchi BB cable guide

Postby familyguy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:41 pm

Any LBS worth its salt will have one. Some screw in, others just have a plug that pushes into that hole if its not threaded. They're a pretty generic item, despite any branding.

Jim
familyguy

Postby munga » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:44 pm

i think my old europa had a blob of a cable guide with a similar footprint. can't recall if it had any significant identifier on it tho.
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Looks to be Shamino Octalink G1 BB. Chances are the rest of the group-san would be too...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Discodan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:40 am

Thanks guys, I suspect the LBS might be the best option so they can try a few on for size. Yes it is an Octalink 1 BB on it originally so that might be a good start
Discodan

Postby Joe H » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:12 am

Discodan,

Good luck on your project! If it's of any help, here is a picture of the BB cable guide from a mid-80s Bianchi:

I'm not sure why there is an extra cable run in the center - maybe for a different front derailleur...

And here is one from an early 90s model:

Neither has any "Bianchi" logos or markings and you can see the 80s version covers up some of the BB stampings. It doesn't look like this was an area given much aesthetic thought on the lower level bikes I've got. Good luck on the build.

Joe
Joe H

Postby Discodan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos Joe. I took it down to the LBS today and yes a standard Shimano guide does the trick even if it's purple (they were out of Celeste ones). Got the BB guide and the shims to fit a 31.8mm front mech on steel seat tube for $5 all up so can't complain about that.

On a side note, have you found a decent source of Celeste touch-up paint? Looks like your garage has a very Bianchi tinge to it

cheers
dan
Discodan

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:38 pm

If its touch up paint, eBay has a lot of them! Never owned a Bianchi, so dunno how accurate they;; be.
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby Joe H » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:11 pm

I've had pretty good luck with forest green, white and dark blue model paint. I use a mixture of white/green to get close and then add a few drops of blue to get the color to match. probably wouldn't work for a whole frame or even be economical, but OK for the odd nick and scratch. Probably a couple of cans mixed up at an auto repair shop would be the fastest/least costly, depending on how much you need to do. I really wanted a Celeste/yellow Bianchi back in the mid 90s when el Pirato was winning all those Giros! Good luck.

Joe
Joe H

Return to Retro biking