Healing Ladies Loop Frame Restore

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Healing Ladies Loop Frame Restore

Postby gryphon » Fri May 10, 2013 4:11 pm

A big hello to everyone here and a chance to introduce myself as i journey into the restoration of this old loop-frame 28" Ladies bike. I purchased this at a farmer's auction with another vintage Healing Men's commuter both in shed-stored very restorable condition (for a grand sum of $55). The men's bike i have posted photos of in the 'Healing frame number registry' post - put new tyres on it provided with the bike and took it for a magic test run the same weekend. I believe the loop-framed bike is also a Healing as it has William's cranks (EW stamp with letter T dating the build to be around 1932) and a Perry rear coaster hub. The loop-framed bike has obviously been repainted in pretty unappealing colours so i thought i would repaint and restore it to most of its former glory. Before stripping it i carefully sanded parts where decals may have been though it had been sanded down to primer previously so unfortunately no evidence of it's make. The seat stay on the loop-frame is slightly out of wack and i'll have to grudgingly deal with this before i go any further. For a change most parts came off relatively easy, a bit of heat and gentle pursuasion and lots of fist pumps later. Usually i use paint stripper though this time i thought i'd pull out the ol' Primus gas torch and strip the paint using gentle heat and the obligatory tools. Not everyone's chosen method though worked out really well and produced a clean result especially around the lugs and hard to get at places - took about an hour and a half to get it to this stage. When i sort the seat stay issue, i'll give it a final sand, etch prime it and send it to the powder coaters. Hope you enjoy the process and pics so far.

Nearly Half way there!
ID Frame make anyone?
Finished for now!
gryphon

by BNA » Sun May 12, 2013 10:04 am

BNA

Re: Healing Ladies Loop Frame Restore

Postby Torana68 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:04 am

no idea but whats the little number/letter/thing in front of the frame number?
Torana68

Postby ldrcycles » Sun May 12, 2013 11:23 am

Looks like a good project, what are your plans for wheels on the ladies bike? I actually think the colour scheme it had looked really nice, i'll have to keep that in mind the next time I have a similar bike to restore.

I've also got a his n hers pair of Healings, the men's bike is a 1954 my dad has owned from new, and when I was restoring that I found the ladies bike.
I got the decal sets from Cyclomondo aka Greg Softley by the way.

When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby gryphon » Fri May 24, 2013 8:45 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Looks like a good project, what are your plans for wheels on the ladies bike? I actually think the colour scheme it had looked really nice, i'll have to keep that in mind the next time I have a similar bike to restore.

Hi there, thanks for responding, had read your post on restoration of your Dad's Healing - fantastic result and smashing looking old gentleman's bike. Thanks also for the Healing decal contact. Well yes the bike came complete though I forgot to photo her complete doh! The wheels are steel 28" and as can be expected for this age show little chrome & much exposed steel. It's a big question here as far as restoration possibiities, resources and what is achievable. I noticed your comment about alternative choice of 27" wheels, is this the route you travelled? I'd prefer to restore the original rims & hubs - and as discovered today if i go this route will be requiring approx. x100 14g x 308mm preferably stainless spokes + nipples. Any ideas or contacts greatly appreciated. Also 28" whitewall tyres, tubes & tape please!

I've also got a his n hers pair of Healings, the men's bike is a 1954 my dad has owned from new, and when I was restoring that I found the ladies bike.
I got the decal sets from Cyclomondo aka Greg Softley by the way.

I really like the resto of the Ladies Healing and the lovely retro transformation into a cruiser beach bike. Very cool :) I'm yet to confirm the loop-frame as Healing built though like to imagine original owners/lovers purchased the bikes together long ago in a happy moment. The Mens Healing that came with the Ladies bike i've posted pics at bicyclepassion's 'HEALING frame number registry post':

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34079

All the best!

gryphon

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 28, 2013 11:07 am

The downtube decal on your men's bike is unusual, I've not seen one like that before.

Both of my bikes had salvageable original 28" wheels, they were in pretty poor shape but a bit of TLC saw them right.
Rim tape is an easy one, I would use the adhesive Velox stuff, very readily available though if I remember correctly 28" rims need a bit more than one roll each.

Bear in mind too that there are 2 different 28" sizes, 28 x 1-1/2 and 28 x 1-3/8, they use different sized rims and are not interchangeable.
I would be surprised if you could find whitewall tyres in either size, 27" whitewalls are common but I haven't seen them in 28". FWIW I wouldn't consider whitewalls to be period correct.

Moruya bicycles are a local supplier of 28" and 650A tyres and tubes http://www.moruyabicycles.com.au/conten ... -tyre.html .

I got the spokes for my men's bike through my local bike shop, i'm pretty sure they were DT Swiss, so not cheap. If you're respoking the Westwood rims on the mens bike, you will need to salvage the oval spoke washers on the inside of the rim, if they are rusted out they are still available but not common, I got mine from a bloke in Canada through ebay.

I know bicyclepassion (warren) has the English type headsets if the ones on your bikes are not usable, I would expect he would have a lot of other things too.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Return to Retro biking