Vintage Fork - NOS or even just new?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Vintage Fork - NOS or even just new?

Postby misterhorsey » Tue May 14, 2013 5:12 pm

Friend of mine bought a rusted Ken Evans frame from Ebay, rebuilt it into his 3 speed commuter. Turned into a unique vintage commuter.

Unluckily he got hit by a car while navigating a round about. Luckily he wasn't hurt, just shaken. Unluckily the car bent the fork on the bike and now he is on the hunt for a new fork.

He'd like to keep it vintage. And apart from scouring ebay, I'm just wondering if anyone builds and sells steel forks like yesteryer. He's wanting a something Reynolds 531c ideally.

I've looked at Soma and Bob Jackson, but can't see anything to that level available, of if it is available it seems to be 4130.

Thanks for your time and suggestions!
misterhorsey

by BNA » Tue May 14, 2013 6:57 pm

BNA

Re: Vintage Fork - NOS or even just new?

Postby LugNut » Tue May 14, 2013 6:57 pm

I faced the same predicament a few months ago, and found the only options to be Surly, Soma, Bob Jackson and IRD http://www.scvimports.com.au/45rk-p-3463.html.
IMO, Soma are the best option - their frames and forks are very nicely made (better than Surly) and not to be underrated. Alternatively, Hillman would custom build another fork, but it depends on the budget and I wouldn't even be able to take a guess at the price!
LugNut

Postby misterhorsey » Tue May 14, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks LugNut.

I have a feeling my friend is going to continue to trawl ebay. I can understand the appeal. You never know what's going to pop up, and then some amazingly unique items pop up and often go for prices that are lower than you think. However I've sent him a link to that fork you linked to so at least he has some options to fall back on.

He's not a premium vintage snob, but i think he seems obsessed with vintage - so we shall see what he comes up with. But thanks for the suggestion.

Also, I'm quite pleased that we ended up with the same options, ie. soma and bob jackson. I have a feeling i'm starting to be less clueless about these things!
misterhorsey

Postby munga » Tue May 14, 2013 8:30 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Columbus-roa ... e50&_uhb=1

depends on how much steerer your friend needs, and whether he likes the look of them..
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby Paddles » Wed May 15, 2013 7:39 am

mate, i think ken evans frames may still be available, there is certainly has a website saying that, why doesn't your friend try to get them to build him a new fork?
Paddles

Postby misterhorsey » Wed May 15, 2013 9:40 am

munga wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Columbus-road-track-chrome-fork-1-inch-threaded-stem-campagnolo-dropouts-/121107365456?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item1c328fbe50&_uhb=1

depends on how much steerer your friend needs, and whether he likes the look of them..

My friend actually sent me the link to that same fork, which is what prompted me to start the thread!

I pooh poohed it due to the plastic crown covers. If anyone can shed light on that it would be most welcome. Strikes me as quite strange.

But thanks for the tip about the steerer length. You may have save him quite a bit of heartache down the track as he hadn't taken that into consideration. And neither had I!

edit: changed typo.
Last edited by misterhorsey on Wed May 15, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Wed May 15, 2013 10:00 am

Paddles wrote:mate, i think ken evans frames may still be available, there is certainly has a website saying that, why doesn't your friend try to get them to build him a new fork?

He's actually had brief corro with Ken to date his frame, but I'm not sure he's still building. But thanks for the reminder. I'll get him to check it out.
misterhorsey

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed May 15, 2013 10:46 am

Planet X in the UK are clearing out some 1" chromed 700c forks that they claim as vintage. I suspect it is part of their SAB clearout. 230mm and 270mm steerers. 42 quid.
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FOV ... _road_fork
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Postby misterhorsey » Wed May 15, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks! Great tip.

Btw, my mate IS a steel snob. I don't think the kind of steel that is in his frame makes a difference, other than make him feel happy. But it makes him happy so its got to be worth something. So I do wonder what they are made of.
misterhorsey

Postby utedeej » Wed May 15, 2013 11:11 am

Put an ad up in the Wanted to Buy section with a good description or pic of what you're after. i.e, is it a unicrown fork (like the planet x one) or one with a fork crown. Someone usually always has something. I've got a couple of standard chromo ones but think they are unicrown. With a bit more info, i'm sure something will turn up.
utedeej

Postby Velo13 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:31 pm

I have a couple of new CrMo 1" threaded forks here. The kicker is they are 1) unicrown, and 2) straight bladed. They are however, good quality, and uncut steerer. $65 + post. PM me if interested.
Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:47 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:Planet X in the UK are clearing out some 1" chromed 700c forks that they claim as vintage. I suspect it is part of their SAB clearout. 230mm and 270mm steerers. 42 quid.
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FOV ... _road_fork

If mid/late 90s is vintage. Perfectly functional though.
Velo13

Postby misterhorsey » Thu May 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks Velo13.

I have a feeling my fussy friend is wanting to retain the lugged look, so unicrown will probably be a deal breaker. Also, like I said earlier, rightly or wrongly he is a steel snob - so he'll want to get something a bit fancier than cro-mo.

It also just occured to me that since the frame is all vintagey, rusty and beat up, he'll also probably want to retain that look through out the bike.

So essentially he will probably scour the earth to spend much time to ensure the bike retains its vintage unloved look. Going to great pains to make sure it looks like its not looked after. So maybe NOS isn't even an option. Quite ironic really.
misterhorsey

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 16, 2013 2:24 pm

misterhorsey wrote:Thanks Velo13.

I have a feeling my fussy friend is wanting to retain the lugged look, so unicrown will probably be a deal breaker. Also, like I said earlier, rightly or wrongly he is a steel snob - so he'll want to get something a bit fancier than cro-mo.

It also just occured to me that since the frame is all vintagey, rusty and beat up, he'll also probably want to retain that look through out the bike.

So essentially he will probably scour the earth to spend much time to ensure the bike retains its vintage unloved look. Going to great pains to make sure it looks like its not looked after. So maybe NOS isn't even an option. Quite ironic really.

I can understand not wanting to go to a unicrown fork & I can relate to the desire to keep the details right. As for the steel though, the weight will weed out hi-ten, and probably butted v non butted forks, but I would be gobsmacked if he could accurately pick between forks made from 531c, columbus SL or "plain" 4130, in the absence of visual clues such as stickers or stamping.

If you want to tease /challenge your mate, ask him how he is going to determine if it is really made from 521c and not 4130 with a Reynolds sticker on it.
find_bruce

Postby LugNut » Thu May 16, 2013 2:30 pm

misterhorsey wrote:Thanks Velo13.

The 'vitangey and beat up' bikes that I see, i.e. bikes that have been ridden every single day since 1976, are on their third, forth and fifth set of replacement forks. Therefore it could be argued that a lugged 4130 black or chrome fork retains the look he is going for more than any other option, and by pranging it, he has become 'the look' and should just go with the (Soma) flow :D
LugNut

Postby misterhorsey » Thu May 16, 2013 2:38 pm

find_bruce and lugnut, i totally agree with both of your suggestions.

I think sometimes too much is placed on technical specifications, and not so much on real world experience and riding. But I guess its partly because when your chained to a computer all day its hard to quantify real world experiences, but it is easy to scour the net and go by brand names and technical differences which have far less impact on real riding than the manufacturers would lead you to believe. Then again, who doesn't love the occasional irrational geek out?

I will try and steer him towards something a little more practical, or at least, easily obtainable.
misterhorsey

Postby munga » Thu May 16, 2013 4:09 pm

surely it's not that hard to find a suitable fork? damn hippies. lets hug it out for misterhorseys steel snob mate.
put aside $150 and find a fork on ebay worldwide. the price will soon be forgotten.

munga

Postby misterhorsey » Thu May 16, 2013 4:22 pm

Ha!

You have to remember my friend does enjoy the search. He's the type of person who loves garage sales and flea markets. We mustn't deny him this pleasure. I was just sounding out possible other options, as I was curious.

Anyway, there's no rush. Turns out the bumper or bonnet of the car gave him a hairline fracture of his arm, so drop bars are a no no for now. His solution to this was to buy a vintage $50 ladies apollo on ebay to tide him over until he heals properly. See. Not really a snob!
misterhorsey

Postby munga » Thu May 16, 2013 4:59 pm

we're all snobs to a degree.

munga

Return to Retro biking