80's era Concorde build advice.

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

80's era Concorde build advice.

Postby simurs4 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Hey guys ive scored an 80s concorde frame with slx columbus tubing which i have been hunting for for awhile. Is juat the frame and fork and ive been thinking of what components to build it up with. Im wanting to use campy parts but want to keep everything 80s specific. Ive been checking out c-record and chorus groupsets but unsure what would be best suired and how much i should be paying for a good used set.
Also what rims would you guys recommend? Ive been eyeing off a set of campy omega strada hardox rims but unsure when they where made.
Any advice would be great as im abit lost when it comes to oldskool gear.
simurs4

by BNA » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:30 pm

BNA

Re: 80's era Concorde build advice.

Postby Kermit TF » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Has everyone suddenly bought Apollos this week ?
Personally Id stick to shimano or suntour , if you want to maintain some originality...
Last edited by Kermit TF on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When in doubt......mumble.
Kermit TF

Postby munga » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:52 pm

i think it might be a real concorde, like this:

pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby simurs4 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:46 pm

yeh sorry its a Concorde Aquila, not an Apollo. is there much difference between 1st gen Chorus and C-Record? they both look like they use similar cranks, only the C Records look like they use the Delta brakes, which im not too interested in using, bumps up the price too much for Delta's :/.
simurs4

Postby Kermit TF » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Hehe, for a moment I did wonder why youd put top shelf campy on a Apollo Concorde. :mrgreen:
When in doubt......mumble.
Kermit TF

Postby LG » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:59 pm

The concordes are very nice bikes, I take it yours is later 80s rather than early. I think quite a few of them might have been built by CIOCC at some stage. I have an early 80s Falck tubed model, maybe a little overkill, but its now built with super record.

Chorus or record, you could go either depending on your budget. Hell, if you weren't focussed on campy and wanted something that worked really well, you could even go suntour superbe pro or dura ace.
LG = Low Gear
LG

Postby TDC » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:00 pm

munga wrote:i think it might be a real concorde, like this:

DROOOOL!
TDC

Postby Dan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:09 pm

Drool indeed. Those Concordes come up week in, week out on the dutch offering of the devil auction site.
Classic late 80s/early 90s setup there - silver aero post and black stem. I like, times 2356
Dan

Postby simurs4 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:06 pm

Just another quick question. What size bottom bracket and headset would I need for the concorde? Im assuming they would both be italian thread?
simurs4

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:09 am

My mates Aquila has an Italian threaded headset and bottom bracket. His is built up with 8 speed Record. Downtube shifters and delta brakes. It is a sweet looking bike.
singlespeedscott

Postby Velo13 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:39 pm

simurs4 wrote:Hey guys ive scored an 80s concorde frame with slx columbus tubing which i have been hunting for for awhile. Is juat the frame and fork and ive been thinking of what components to build it up with. Im wanting to use campy parts but want to keep everything 80s specific. Ive been checking out c-record and chorus groupsets but unsure what would be best suired and how much i should be paying for a good used set.
Also what rims would you guys recommend? Ive been eyeing off a set of campy omega strada hardox rims but unsure when they where made.

In the late 80s, C-Record had quite a few differences to Croce D'Aune (aka CdA - the next in the line up) and then Chorus (IIRC) was third. CdA was a mixture of the two, but at one stage had it's own rear derailleur.

An SLX frame will mean that your Concorde is late 80s, so any of the above groups would be appropriate, expensive and difficult to obtain. It all depends how important that is to you.

You can pay from a few hundred $ for a clapped out Chorus set, up to a few thousand for a New Old Stock C-Record.

Late 80s/early 90s Shimano groups are far cheaper, and (IMHO) work far better. That said, I have ridden Campag almost exclusively for the last 20 years, so I understand the appeal that polished silver has ...

Campy Omega Strada Hardox - there were two versions. A box section being mid/late 80s. A V profile arrived about '89 and lasted until Campag stopped selling rims, in about '94?

Both are excellent choices - particularly the latter (but won't be period specific).
Velo13

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Velo13 wrote:Campy Omega Strada Hardox - there were two versions. A box section being mid/late 80s. A V profile arrived about '89 and lasted until Campag stopped selling rims, in about '94?

Both are excellent choices - particularly the latter (but won't be period specific).

Just make sure that you get them NOS. The V profile ones have a reputation for cracking around the eyelets.
singlespeedscott

Postby GaryF » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:03 pm

Velo13 wrote:
simurs4 wrote:Hey guys ive scored an 80s concorde frame with slx columbus tubing which i have been hunting for for awhile. Is juat the frame and fork and ive been thinking of what components to build it up with. Im wanting to use campy parts but want to keep everything 80s specific. Ive been checking out c-record and chorus groupsets but unsure what would be best suired and how much i should be paying for a good used set.

In the late 80s, C-Record had quite a few differences to Croce D'Aune (aka CdA - the next in the line up) and then Chorus (IIRC) was third. CdA was a mixture of the two, but at one stage had it's own rear derailleur.

An SLX frame will mean that your Concorde is late 80s, so any of the above groups would be appropriate, expensive and difficult to obtain. It all depends how important that is to you.

You can pay from a few hundred $ for a clapped out Chorus set, up to a few thousand for a New Old Stock C-Record.

Late 80s/early 90s Shimano groups are far cheaper, and (IMHO) work far better. That said, I have ridden Campag almost exclusively for the last 20 years, so I understand the appeal that polished silver has ...

Campy Omega Strada Hardox - there were two versions. A box section being mid/late 80s. A V profile arrived about '89 and lasted until Campag stopped selling rims, in about '94?

I agree with this advice but I'd hang out for Campy components. The C-record looks great but I do have a soft spot for Chorus as I think it looks fantastic and works pretty well to boot. I like the Croce d'Aune rear derailleur too. With an SLX frame I wouldn't be adverse to using Super Record or Victory group sets. Singlespeedscott's advice re the Campy rims is spot on.
GaryF

Postby simurs4 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. I pretty much had my mind made up on either c record or chorus so will probably have to collect peices individually over time as most complete groupsets ive seen for sale have wrong sized cranks or seat posts etc.
it will be a pretty eye catching thing once its on the road the original paint job is wild! Pure 80s!
simurs4

Postby GaryF » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:26 pm

simurs4 wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. I pretty much had my mind made up on either c record or chorus so will probably have to collect peices individually over time as most complete groupsets ive seen for sale have wrong sized cranks or seat posts etc.
it will be a pretty eye catching thing once its on the road the original paint job is wild! Pure 80s!

Great decision.
GaryF

Postby dayne » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:49 am

Here's the questions you need to ask your self,
1, how often will I ride it?
2, is it mainly a wall/show bike
3, what is my budget.

There's three main generations of c record.
First is dt shifters, circa 88
Second had a few changes to the brakes, circa 90
Third had the new deltas, ergo shifting and a rubber ring headset like the off road (from what I can tell) circa 92

During these periods it was common for people to run c record with monoplaner brakes as a cheaper option.

If you want an amazing group incl wheels Dubrat has a mint century grey group for sale for about $1500

It will cost a lot more to build a group one part at a time because your paying a premium plus shipping on each piece but at least you can do it as you get the money,
If this will be a rider I would ditch any attempt to buy nos or vintage used rims, they just are not as good as today's new rims, I would go for hplus son tv 14's they look just like a vintage rim but are stronger wider and finished better.
Good luck with the build
dayne

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Here's something worth watching. Odds are it will go cheaper than a "Buy it Now" auction.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330943713921 ... 1423.l2649
singlespeedscott

Postby frailer5 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:28 am

dayne wrote:I would go for hplus son tv 14's they look just like a vintage rim but are stronger wider and finished better.

Got curious there, dayne, reading this. One of the most minimalist sites I've seen, but interesting, for sure. Particularly enjoyed the vimeo link on producing a rim.
What's your experience with buying/using them?

hp plus son
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
frailer5

Postby TDC » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:14 pm

frailer5 wrote:
dayne wrote:I would go for hplus son tv 14's they look just like a vintage rim but are stronger wider and finished better.

Got curious there, dayne, reading this. One of the most minimalist sites I've seen, but interesting, for sure. Particularly enjoyed the vimeo link on producing a rim.

hp plus son

I have 2 sets of wheels with these rims. 32 spoke 3x DT DB on ultegra 6700 hubs for both sets. I have had them since march 2012. They have performed faultlessly.
Solid old school wheels good for all purpose riding. They have remained true and have needed no maintenance as yet.

They are not particularly light but are rugged as anything else. Handling is great as they feel like they have good torsional stiffness (I cannot prove this though). Turn in on fast corners is very positve. I can corner faster with these than i can on a set of DA 7850 24mm wheels I have, although the DA wheels are very compliant and give a smoother ride.

On one set i have 23mm Vittoria EVo SC tyres and they measure 26mm wide at 100 psi. The other set has veloflex master 23mm and the measure about 24 mm at 100 psi.

I would buy again and thoroughly recommend them.
TDC

Postby funnybike » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:26 pm

frailer5 wrote:

hp plus son

I've seen these up close. They are an extremely similar design to the old Campy Omega Strada V section rims that Velo13 was describing. They are so similar that I reckon if you got a set of repro campy decals, no one would notice at first glance. Up close you can see that they have a machined braking surface, but the anodising goes over the machined surface, so they don't look too modern.

Secondly, the rim join is quite possibly the best I have ever seen, bar none. Very, very impressed.

470g rim is nice and sturdy, so they should be a dream build for an experienced set of hands, and a good choice for the inexperienced.

However...... These are a 23mm wide rim. If anyone is thinking about building a set for their retro bike, then get something 23mm wide, shove it between your brake blocks and check that your brake callipers are going to handle the extra width and still give you good braking function.

The grey colour is quite nice. The polished look is a bit off with the aero shape, and the black is beautiful & reminded me of many days working in a particular bike shop with old mate Velo13, building Campy Omega Strada rims with 8 speed hubs, both Campy and Shimano. Man, how many of them did we build?

Lastly, the wheelset I looked at was a 32 hole set, 2013 Campy Record hubs, DT Comp spokes with alu nipples, & H Plus Son rims. Just a shade over 1600g. Pretty damn good for a classic set of wheels with a beefy rim.
funnybike

Postby simurs4 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:52 pm

those wheels look pretty sweet, im after a grey or blackish rim and want to go with a tan walled tyre, i always liked that look. and i would be riding the bike hopefully as much as my scott foil so i would want a rim that can with stand the way i ride.
simurs4

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:02 am

funnybike wrote:
I've seen these up close. They are an extremely similar design to the old Campy Omega Strada V section rims that Velo13 was describing. They are so similar that I reckon if you got a set of repro campy decals, no one would notice at first glance. Up close you can see that they have a machined braking surface, but the anodising goes over the machined surface, so they don't look too modern.

Secondly, the rim join is quite possibly the best I have ever seen, bar none. Very, very impressed.

470g rim is nice and sturdy, so they should be a dream build for an experienced set of hands, and a good choice for the inexperienced.

However...... These are a 23mm wide rim. If anyone is thinking about building a set for their retro bike, then get something 23mm wide, shove it between your brake blocks and check that your brake callipers are going to handle the extra width and still give you good braking function.

The grey colour is quite nice. The polished look is a bit off with the aero shape, and the black is beautiful & reminded me of many days working in a particular bike shop with old mate Velo13, building Campy Omega Strada rims with 8 speed hubs, both Campy and Shimano. Man, how many of them did we build?

Lastly, the wheelset I looked at was a 32 hole set, 2013 Campy Record hubs, DT Comp spokes with alu nipples, & H Plus Son rims. Just a shade over 1600g. Pretty damn good for a classic set of wheels with a beefy rim.

This is the best post I can recall reading on BNA in a long time.
Dan

Postby dayne » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:16 am

Like the others have said, I have owned and ridden them, and recommended these wheels to many people, I have nothing but good things to say about them.

You won't regret them at all, I would pair them up with some nice 23-(25mm if they fit) gum walls and you will have a great set if wheels.

If you really want to ride this alot why not choose campagnolo Athena 11 in polished silver?
dayne

Postby Dave2011 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 am

I'm riding a late 80's Concorde myself. Its a PDM replica in Columbus Aelle tubing. Though this tubing isn't the lightest the bike still rides fantastic. I've built it up with late 105 10spd stuff but stuck to downtube shifters to keep the look.
Getting onto topic though, if I were to restore it back to original I believe it had Shimano 600 components and Mavic rims, I forget the exact model though. I do recall I ran singles so someone here would have an idea what they would have been.
Dave2011

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Possibly GP4's.... like these?

And no, they arent mine.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Next

Return to Retro biking