1950's speedwell

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

1950's speedwell

Postby kelsnotbilt4lycra » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:28 am

I've just found what I think is an early fifties speedwell which I want to restore. It has the same frame detail as the 1951 model in another post on here, three speed hub, and I've dated the crank to 1950. The problem I have is that the frame has been painted over in some crappy mission brown colour. I've found enough of the original colour for my mate who is a spraypainter to be able to match it but I can't find where all the decals/pinstriping etc should go and I don't really know where I can get reproductions either. I've been was just wondering if anybody could help me out with some info. Thanks in advance for your time,

Kel.
kelsnotbilt4lycra

by BNA » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:32 pm

BNA

Re: 1950's speedwell

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:32 pm

I don't know enough about speedwells to advise on replacement decals but I can almost guarantee the pinstriping would have been done by hand. You can get rolls of pinstripe stickers/paint in varying widths/colours from some auto parts stores which may be an option, or there are tools that are available with a roller and paint reservoir.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Typhoon Ken » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:48 pm

G'day Kel,

Google is your friend, you will find a shedload of pics to get ideas from, try Bennett & Wood as well for some history on the brand. Also the very best repro decals around come from right here in Australia IMO. Get onto cyclomondo.net or the ebay store of gts753 which is Greg Softley in Coffs Harbour (he is both). He has a large range of Speedwell decals from all eras. I have found someone here in Sydney who is painting and striping a 1940s Speedwell for me at the moment (Greg is doing some decals that I need as well) but I can't recommend him because the bike is in progress atm. Although looking at his work has left me laying awake at night thinking how beautiful it will look when I get it back.

Good luck with it and I would love to see how she comes up, I have a soft spot for Speedwells.

Ken
Typhoon Ken

Postby kelsnotbilt4lycra » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks for the speedy replies guys.

I guess seeing as it's not going to be the original paint anyway accuracy is probably not going to be all that critical. It's just a really cool old frame and I wanted to do it justice:-). I've been feverishly googling every arvo this week and I've found plenty of detailed Photos of newer stuff but nothing with the same headtube detail that mine's got. Paradoxically, the guy who painted it looks like he's done it a favour though because the frame is actually in pretty good nick considering a lot of the chrome stuff (rims, bars, stem etc) is pretty rusty so it looks like it's spent a fair bit of time out in the weather. I've had a little bit of a go at the cranks though and they don't seem too bad.

I'll try and post some photos as I'm going so you can see how it's turning out but I can't promise they'll be all that great because most of my bike photo's I've taken for my FB page have been fairly average.

Thanks for your help,

Shane
kelsnotbilt4lycra

Return to Retro biking