Are these parts considered retro?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby dayne » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:14 am

I've just done my head in reading this thread,all in hindsight now but i see this a lot.
You have spent a fair bit on putting this bike together but what i see is a complete miss match of parts,
what is it that you want to achieve with this bike?

It's a 90's ti frame so it would be 8 speed 7400 why not just buy a full 7400 group?

As for the bar's, swapping bars when it rains is just ridiculous to be honest it's a bloody bike just ride it and in a year or two's time buy another roll of tape.
I also must mention that polishing parts is ok if they are beyond leaving but they will start to look terrible in a mater of months and you will be constantly polishing them.

The next thing is the saddle do you like it? i personally would run a nice brown regal or turbo/rolls to me its kind of like running a set of wooden spoke model t wheels on a brock commodore,

Have you had a bike fit on this?

But i know it may sound doom and gloom but i think you have done a great job with the bike for a novice builder im just not sure what you are trying to achieve with it?

May be the answer is build two, pick up a nice old cheap frame and repaint it with a vintage look and put all the brown leather gear on it and have it dt shifter cruiser and build this ti beast up as a more modern road bike that can do your all weather riding

Well done though
Dayne
dayne
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

by BNA » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:15 am

BNA
 

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby dayne » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:15 am

rheicel wrote:And here she is today:

Image


I think this looks perfect
dayne
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:33 am

dayne wrote:I think this looks perfect


Less chat more snowboarding pics ;)
User avatar
Dan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby rheicel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:06 am

dayne wrote:I've just done my head in reading this thread,all in hindsight now but i see this a lot.
You have spent a fair bit on putting this bike together but what i see is a complete miss match of parts,
what is it that you want to achieve with this bike?

It's a 90's ti frame so it would be 8 speed 7400 why not just buy a full 7400 group?

As for the bar's, swapping bars when it rains is just ridiculous to be honest it's a bloody bike just ride it and in a year or two's time buy another roll of tape.
I also must mention that polishing parts is ok if they are beyond leaving but they will start to look terrible in a mater of months and you will be constantly polishing them.

The next thing is the saddle do you like it? i personally would run a nice brown regal or turbo/rolls to me its kind of like running a set of wooden spoke model t wheels on a brock commodore,

Have you had a bike fit on this?

But i know it may sound doom and gloom but i think you have done a great job with the bike for a novice builder im just not sure what you are trying to achieve with it?

May be the answer is build two, pick up a nice old cheap frame and repaint it with a vintage look and put all the brown leather gear on it and have it dt shifter cruiser and build this ti beast up as a more modern road bike that can do your all weather riding

Well done though
Dayne

Thanks for your comments Dayne, they are all well noted. I must say I am trying to achieve different thing here everyday. Its white, no its brown, maybe its yellow! Will be keeping this bike as I love the frame.

As for the bar swapping, I realised that it is not so practical, and therefore I am now building my new commuter. :lol:

I now have a 7402 RD and 7402 Crankset. Sorry, no to 8 speed so I will try my luck to make them work with my 10 speed. Caliper will be the last bit of 7400 that will go in this bike.

Bike fit? What is that? I may not be an expert but I know which geometry works for me. I am always open to suggestions though.
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby Velo13 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:38 pm

rheicel wrote:I heard that the 7400 RD have different cable pull, or I am probably mixing things up here.


Correct.
User avatar
Velo13
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:24 pm
Location: Lennox

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby Velo13 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:40 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
rheicel wrote:I think you can get them for about $65 at wiggle. Do you think its worth it? I heard that the 7400 RD have different cable pull, or I am probably mixing things up here.

No I think you are right here (tho willing to be corrected). For some inane reason Shimano originally made the Dura Ace gruppo with a different pull ratio/cog gap to all their other stuff.They gave this up PDQ when they realized they couldn't change the world (at least back then :P ) and Dura Ace went to 'normal' indexing. However, my wife's ALAN has basically full Shimano Dura Ace 7400 except for the rear derailleur and gear levers which were swapped out by the previous owner because of the 'weird indexing' so I would suggest that the 7400 series rear derailleur fall into the 'weird' category.
Cheers
Richard


Correct. 7400 only. All DA since has the same geometries to lesser groups.
User avatar
Velo13
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:24 pm
Location: Lennox

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:42 pm

Velo13 wrote:
rheicel wrote:I heard that the 7400 RD have different cable pull, or I am probably mixing things up here.


Correct.


Mine works just fine with 8, 9 or 10 speed depending on what wheels I put on. Friction levers rock!

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:44 pm
Location: Bruce, ACT

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby rheicel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:20 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
Velo13 wrote:
rheicel wrote:I heard that the 7400 RD have different cable pull, or I am probably mixing things up here.


Correct.


Mine works just fine with 8, 9 or 10 speed depending on what wheels I put on. Friction levers rock!

Cheers,

Cameron

+1 Cameron, Friction Lever Rocks.
7402 Crankset and 7402 RD now installed and working. Working on a bike stand at the moment.

The pulleys that came with my 7402 RD are 10Ts only. They are fitted with ceramic bearing. While they are working fine, I am not so happy with snappy shifting. I dismantled them and used the 11T's from my 7700 RD. They now work like charm.

Front shifting is also good with the 7402 Crankset. I previously have a SRAM RED FD paired with RIVAL Crankset. I intend to use them on my other build, so I have fitted a Shimano Tiagra FD.

The 7402 Crankset is 2.5mm shorter than the RIVAL, this will now give me more clearance from the front wheel.

That is it for now, If I can find a suitable 7400 FD and Calipers, I might replace them.

Bike now weigh 9.10kg :( , It used to be 8.6kg when I initially assemble it.
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby rheicel » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:15 pm

Test ride to/from work today.
Compared to 7700 RD, Rival Crankset, Red FD....
7402 RD (using 7700 RD rollers), 7402 Crankset (with UN55 BB), 4600 FD works better IMO in terms of shifting front and rear, and also have less noise. Friction shifting on the 7402RD seems to be always spot on.

Common parts for both combo are Dia Compe friction shifters, 10 speed 1071 Chain, 1071 12-26T cassette, and of course, the Rider.
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby Velo13 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:39 am

I love 7400 series stuff. Bombproof, works beautifully and looks nice. Sure, a little heavier, but (in the grand scheme of things) that's not a major issue.
User avatar
Velo13
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:24 pm
Location: Lennox

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby rheicel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:19 am

Would be good to get hold of a pair of 7400 calipers and brake levers too. Levers are still selling like gold in some EU/US eBay sellers.
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby munga » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:45 pm

and a month or so ago i sold off a complete 7400 groupset piece by piece..
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
User avatar
munga
 
Posts: 6637
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: wowe

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby dayne » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:46 pm

I think 7400 levers/brakes would be great, and even a nice brown regal.
dayne
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby rheicel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:38 am

Growing comments on the saddle, I am now taking it seriously :twisted:
I have spotted some Regal in Fleabay, normally how much are they?

munga, I missed your 7400 train but I will wait patiently on other 7400 levers.

In fact, I am not happy with those DiaCompe levers, they looks so cheap, performs awful and I can't seem to find the right spot for it. In a nutshell, they will be gone soon.
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby dayne » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:59 am

Regals are all ways on sale from one of the big online shops for about $80
The brown suede ones are nice,
It's a personal thing but the bike is all 90's with a saddle most stoped using pre 60's.
It just looks a little out of place on a race bike, if this was a touring/audax/rando it would be perfect.
Another tip is build the bike with cheap cork tape and do a few weeks on it, make sure your 100% happy with everything then swap out the cork for nice tape,
This lets you adjust the levers and bars to find what you really are happy with before using the leather.
Dayne
dayne
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby rheicel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:22 am

dayne wrote:Regals are all ways on sale from one of the big online shops for about $80
The brown suede ones are nice,
It's a personal thing but the bike is all 90's with a saddle most stoped using pre 60's.
It just looks a little out of place on a race bike, if this was a touring/audax/rando it would be perfect.
Another tip is build the bike with cheap cork tape and do a few weeks on it, make sure your 100% happy with everything then swap out the cork for nice tape,
This lets you adjust the levers and bars to find what you really are happy with before using the leather.
Dayne

Good point Dayne, thanks.
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby rheicel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Looks like this is the one I like.

Image
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:54 am

I prefer the suede brown ones over the smooth.
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3229
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby dayne » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:02 pm

Either or, the suede is nicer in my opinion but either will look bloody smart.
dayne
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby rheicel » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:35 pm

If you have this in your stash, please give it to me (ooops, sell it to me, lol)

Image
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby rheicel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:35 pm

Saddle came in today. Not sure what will the audience will say! I am replacing the handlebar tape as well. Just waiting for the right moment.

Image
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Are these parts considered retro?

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:03 pm

Saddle looks good. Your right about the brown tape. Maybe white would be better?
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3229
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby rheicel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:39 pm

It weigh 8.8 kg at the moment. There is really nothing I can do now to make it lighter unless I am willing to spend more on wheelset and light tubes (not tyres).

singlespeedscott wrote:Saddle looks good. Your right about the brown tape. Maybe white would be better?

I have some white that I can try. My friend is telling me to put gray, lol.

edit, ...light tubes not tyre.
Last edited by rheicel on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:10 pm

I like the brown, works well with the saddle and hoods.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25778
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Are these parts considered retro?

Postby dayne » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:18 pm

+1 on the brown tape,
I think it looks great now I'd leave it as is.
Now just ride it
dayne
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Retro biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tinker



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit