Reasonably priced Aussie frame builder?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: Reasonably priced Aussie frame builder?

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:11 pm

You northerners have all that AND the worst drivers in AU. Great place to visit with lovely friendly people but I never wanna drive there again. Tyre tracks ON TOP of Jersey barriers :shock:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

by BNA » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:38 am

BNA

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:38 am

And no daylight saving.
Dan

Postby Rob74 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Hillbrick send Paul an email enquiry with your measurements and thoughts on tubing type then give him a ring and chat,

I've had frames repaired by Paul Hillbrick, rang up and chatted, then drove the frames down to Sydney on a Saturday & met him at the Repair Shop, Paul opened up of Saturday for me. We had a chat about the repairs he offered suggestions and showed the different replacement frame tip options he had readily available. Choices made, I left the frames there for the work to be completed. Frames were freighted back in bike box well packed with frame tip spacers fitted by tracked courier. Did a really great job. If I have steel frame repairs required again, I would have no hesitation and do the same again.

Rob
Rob74

Postby Mustang » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:04 pm

At your young age & fantastic ability Scotty, thinking of the years you have to ride, I think you owe it to yourself to get the best you can afford.
If you cant afford it now, wait until you can, cause that frames going to get a lot of work!!!
Mustang

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Mustang wrote:At your young age & fantastic ability Scotty, thinking of the years you have to ride, I think you owe it to yourself to get the best you can afford.
If you cant afford it now, wait until you can, cause that frames going to get a lot of work!!!
nice rap Mustang.

Unfortunately I'm 42 and I think my ability has long since peaked and gone :lol:
singlespeedscott

Postby dayne » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:12 pm

What about the Beretto frame building course?
Make your own
dayne

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:24 pm

Actually talked to him about it yesterday (I sold him back one of his old frames). It's just a matter of me getting it to fit around my shift work.
singlespeedscott

Postby xerlex » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:33 pm

dayne wrote:What about the Beretto frame building course?
Make your own

Dayne, have you got any info on that course? I'm struggling to find anything on it.
xerlex

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:03 pm

It's run part time at the Bracken Ridge TAFE

http://coursesearch.skillstech.tafe.qld ... hx#bso_811
singlespeedscott

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:31 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Unfortunately I'm 42 and I think my ability has long since peaked and gone :lol:

42 years old eh? Just a young fella then... :wink:

Cheers
Richard
WyvernRH

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Maybe a need to get on the same gear as Chris Horner :lol:
singlespeedscott

Postby xerlex » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:31 am

singlespeedscott wrote:It's run part time at the Bracken Ridge TAFE

Cheers!
xerlex

Postby Wazza » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:31 pm

xerlex wrote:

Cheers!

Just rang and there are not enough participants for the course to start tonight. I'll keep you posted!

Waz
Wazza
Mont Ventoux 2014 - Must train hard
Wazza

Postby Kid_Carbine » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:35 am

I have just had a frame made for me by Peter Bundy, although his father Jim actually did the work in Peters shop.
It was a bit of an odd one in that I had a junk 1942 Carbine frame to start with. [No fork] I'm a bit of a Carbine fan & I couldn't bear to scrap the frame but it was useless as it was.

ALL of the tubing was removed from the lugs [except the head tube] & junked. [It was all crook] so we had the head tube with lugs, a seat lug & BB shell. I also supplied a NOS Renolds 531 double butted tubeset from the 60's/70's that I had bought some time earlier, just because it was there. I also threw in a NOS set of Campy 1010A fork tips & dropouts that I found on eBay. These are the 'short' type without the little threaded lugs on them for mudguard bracket mounting. Real racer stuff this.
The Bundy's came up with a suitable fork crown that fitted in well with the lug design & a 'new' Carbine frame is born.

The original pre war type headset bearing cups had been cut off many years ago so the head tube has been reamed to take a vintage Campy Super Record headset. The frame is made to modern bike specs as I will be running a 2004-2006 Campy Record Titanium 10 speed groupset that was sourced [mostly new] one piece at a time from all over the world. It is built to take 700c wheels with tight clearances & a higher than original B/Bracket as modern cranks are longer that what we rode 'back in the day' [6-1/2" or 165mm]

The new 3TTT 'Ergopower' handlebar [TDF bends, 44cm outside dimension] came from Italy. 3TTT measure their bar width outside to outside so it is really 42 C to C. Yes, it will be built with the old type Quill stem, ... I couldn't help myself as I wanted a real mix of new & heritage components, all Campy/3TTT of course as it is top quality gear, reasonably cheap & still readily available to those who are prepared to look for it. [Cinelli is super nice too]

Once the braze-on deraileur mount is fitted [he needed to know if I was running compact or standard chainrings] it will be ready for paint.
The 27.2mm vintage Super Record seat post is all shiney & newish looking & the new Brooks Swallow saddle is ready to mount. Naturally the seat post will be clamped tight with a NOS Campy seat clamp bolt.
The new Campy Vento wheels are hardly high spec but I liked the retro High Flange look.
The only thing missing is the stem & I am holding off on that untill I determine the length required.

You want a custom steel frame? Talk to Peter Bundy, he is prepared to go the extra mile. [or 1.6Km if you are a metriphile]
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
Kid_Carbine

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:03 am

Kid_Carbine wrote:I have just had a frame made for me by Peter Bundy, although his father Jim actually did the work in Peters shop.
It was a bit of an odd one in that I had a junk 1942 Carbine frame to start with. [No fork] I'm a bit of a Carbine fan & I couldn't bear to scrap the frame but it was useless as it was.

ALL of the tubing was removed from the lugs [except the head tube] & junked. [It was all crook] so we had the head tube with lugs, a seat lug & BB shell. I also supplied a NOS Renolds 531 double butted tubeset from the 60's/70's that I had bought some time earlier, just because it was there. I also threw in a NOS set of Campy 1010A fork tips & dropouts that I found on eBay. These are the 'short' type without the little threaded lugs on them for mudguard bracket mounting. Real racer stuff this.
The Bundy's came up with a suitable fork crown that fitted in well with the lug design & a 'new' Carbine frame is born.

The original pre war type headset bearing cups had been cut off many years ago so the head tube has been reamed to take a vintage Campy Super Record headset. The frame is made to modern bike specs as I will be running a 2004-2006 Campy Record Titanium 10 speed groupset that was sourced [mostly new] one piece at a time from all over the world. It is built to take 700c wheels with tight clearances & a higher than original B/Bracket as modern cranks are longer that what we rode 'back in the day' [6-1/2" or 165mm]

The new 3TTT 'Ergopower' handlebar [TDF bends, 44cm outside dimension] came from Italy. 3TTT measure their bar width outside to outside so it is really 42 C to C. Yes, it will be built with the old type Quill stem, ... I couldn't help myself as I wanted a real mix of new & heritage components, all Campy/3TTT of course as it is top quality gear, reasonably cheap & still readily available to those who are prepared to look for it. [Cinelli is super nice too]

Once the braze-on deraileur mount is fitted [he needed to know if I was running compact or standard chainrings] it will be ready for paint.
The 27.2mm vintage Super Record seat post is all shiney & newish looking & the new Brooks Swallow saddle is ready to mount. Naturally the seat post will be clamped tight with a NOS Campy seat clamp bolt.
The new Campy Vento wheels are hardly high spec but I liked the retro High Flange look.
The only thing missing is the stem & I am holding off on that untill I determine the length required.

You want a custom steel frame? Talk to Peter Bundy, he is prepared to go the extra mile. [or 1.6Km if you are a metriphile]

Pictures please. This sounds very cool.
singlespeedscott

Postby Wazza » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Wazza wrote:
xerlex wrote:

Cheers!

Just rang and there are not enough participants for the course to start tonight. I'll keep you posted!

Waz

Got a call today, course starts February 2014 at Bracken Ridge Tafe-$1464, Every Tuesday night for 20 weeks
Wazza
Mont Ventoux 2014 - Must train hard
Wazza

Postby Thoglette » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:24 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Kid_Carbine wrote:I had a junk 1942 Carbine frame to start with.

Pictures please. This sounds very cool.

+1.

And the bananas are better in QLD. I just love that there's a dozen different types in the shops :-)
Thoglette

Previous

Return to Retro biking