My Falcon is back

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Postby rogerrabbit » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:15 pm

The Falcon is finished! Image

More pics of the finished bike at http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogerrabbit1964/sets/72157606069400901/

Fitted to finish it are a Record circa 1979 front derailleur with lip, Christophe Special toeclips, Christohe straps (NOS), a Maillard SC Pro cluster 14-18 NOS, Regina chain NOS, some nice old white bar plugs, NOS Campag brake cables, NOS Campag brake cable clips and down tube gear cable guide, Campag shifters (cant work out exact model/year).

Not sure I can bring myself to ride it!. I still haven't glued the tyres, and may build another set of wheels for riding.

Cheers
Roger
rogerrabbit

by BNA » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:41 pm

BNA

Postby GaryF » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:41 pm

Wow - your falcon looks really great. Such a nice bike. I'm sure you will always get many admiring looks as well as lots of questions whenever you take it out for a ride. (I'm betting that you will ride the Falcon)
GaryF

Postby rogerrabbit » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:51 pm

OK, you were right!. I have glued the tyres onto the rims this afternoon, and have taken it for a gentle maiden voyage down the street and back. It feels like a twitchy racing beast compared to my regular ride (a custom made 1991 Clamont Professional, designed for "comfortable racing"). It has steeper angles, and is a bit shorter and was designed with only one purpose in mind.

Tomorrow I will take it for a more energetic blast once the glue has dried properly. The brake cables feel pretty rough, so I am going to take them out and clean up the outer cable ends better. It feels like something is amiss there. The seat is surprisingly comfortable.

Now to get used to toestraps and downbar shifters again....
rogerrabbit

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:17 pm

rogerrabbit wrote:OK, you were right!. <snip> It has steeper angles, and is a bit shorter and was designed with only one purpose in mind.

Tomorrow I will take it for a more energetic blast once the glue has dried properly. The brake cables feel pretty rough, so I am going to take them out and clean up the outer cable ends better. It feels like something is amiss there. The seat is surprisingly comfortable.

Now to get used to toestraps and downbar shifters again....

That is way impressive.... also you must be one tall dude....

Cheers

Richard
WyvernRH

Postby rogerrabbit » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks Richard, I am pretty happy with it.

I am 190cm, and the frame is 62cm ctt. I have two 63cm frames being painted at the moment.

Cheers
Roger
rogerrabbit

Postby GaryF » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:49 pm

Hi Roger,

You have me very interested..... Have you measured the frame angles? I have a bike with really steep angles, it is really twitchy to ride yet it is most enjoyable.

Oh, by the way, it would have taken priest -like restrain not to have ridden the Falcon.
GaryF

Postby rogerrabbit » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:21 am

I am pretty sure the frame is 74 deg front and back. It is a nice bike to ride, well mannered and balanced on corners, and not skittish. It could get a touch unsettled if you hit bumps at speed with one hand on the bars though, but nothing too dramatic. This is from my recollections of years of riding this bike until 1991 when it was replaced with my current ride, the Clamont. It will be interesting how I feel about it now with a bit more age (me, not the bike) and riding a lot less regularly.

Chdeers
Roger
rogerrabbit

Postby janus77 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:22 am

Bike looks great Roger.

Let me know if you're keen for a ride to Palmy on the weekend, thinking of doing it Sunday if weather permits.
janus77

Previous

Return to Retro biking