Beasley frame info help

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Beasley frame info help

Postby radpants » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:05 am

Ahoy there bike peeps, not sure if this is in the right section or whether it should be in the fixie section, but i found a frame in someones hard rubbish the other day that i was hoping you might be able to give me some info on.

It looks old, old enough that the Beasley label has been Hand Painted on. All i can find out so far is that its most likely from beasley cycles in footscray.

Anyhow onto the the pics

Hand Painted label

Serial number on the drop out

Very faded beasley cycles info

Crank has the big gaps between teeth

Says BSA and PRIOR

Phillipe stem

It also has a little hole into the bottom bracket, for oiling maybe???

So there it is, anyone know anything about it, ie age, its history and of course its worth if anything.

Thanks in advance

trent
Last edited by radpants on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radpants

by BNA » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:11 am

BNA

Re: Beasley frame info help

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:11 am

Welcome to BNA radpants.

Retro is definately the right section for this, there is more knowledge around here than you can poke a stick at. One thing I will point out thought is its unlikely you will get much love on the value front, we tend to get a lot of one hit wonders trying to get a free valuation and as a result any request along those lines usually doesnt got looked upon to kindly by the general populace. Im sure however that anyone who can help you with info about the bike itself will be more than willing to do so :D
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby radpants » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:31 am

Yeah thats cool, I didnt plan on selling it straight away, I asked more out of curiosity, and also just in case if it is worth something, i dont go ruining it by doing a restoration on it.
radpants

Postby spirito » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:34 am

Hi trent .. nice find !!!

Are you keeping this or will you be looking to sell it?
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.
spirito

Postby radpants » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:24 am

Not sure what ill do with it yet, was going to base what i did when i found out about its history etc.
radpants

Postby Torana68 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:46 am

radpants wrote:Not sure what ill do with it yet, was going to base what i did when i found out about its history etc.

its a nice quality frame, it should be preserved as is, restoration will ruin it, so if your after something to strip and rebuild this isnt a good choice. History ? who knows the name doesnt ring a bell just now but it wont have the collector interest that a Super Elliott ,Malvern Star, Speedwell or one of the other big names would have.
Roger

could be from J. Beasley cycles, Buckley St. Footscray, they are still operating
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"
Torana68

Postby dayne » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Just pass it on to me.
dayne

Postby seddo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:55 pm

dayne wrote:Just pass it on to me.

or me
seddo

Postby bicyclepassion » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:51 pm

It has high end BSA fluted cranks, Prior hollow BB axle, so someone loved it once. The prior axle and Phillipe alloy stem are post war items. So maybe it is a late 1940's bike?
bicyclepassion

Postby dayne » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:18 pm

I was thinking the same warren,
What are the hubs? Airlite ?
But seriously it's not worth huge dollars but more special than expensive and needs preservation not restoration.
Please don't do anything to it without consulting the right people.
Nice find.

Also the gaps in the chainring are correct,
It's called inch pitch, it uses less teeth with a bigger gap in the chain.
So don't go cutting the chain off to put on a new one because they are not somthing you can get st your local bike shop.
dayne

Postby radpants » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:03 am

WOW, late 40's!! Thats pretty old! Ive sent the pics over to the beasley store to see if they have any info on it.
When you say dont do anything to it without consulting the right people, who would the right people be?? Im a bike newb and have only ever bought off the shelf gear.
Im in melbourne if that helps,
thanks again for your all your info
trent
radpants

Postby spirito » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:17 am

radpants wrote: Ive sent the pics over to the beasley store to see if they have any info on it.

Call me a cynic but I doubt that will yield any meaningful response.

Trent the best thing you can do is leave it as it is and sell it. Not that's it's beyond you but by the time you add up the cost and effort of properly refurbishing this I'm sure you'll realize it's beyond what you had hoped and anticipated for. It's a worthy bike but you won't get much for it .. by doing so, people who know and enjoy bringing bikes like this back will do a good job of it and you'll have helped it survive. That bike karma will serve you well elsewhere ;)
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.
spirito

Postby Torana68 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:58 am

radpants wrote:WOW, late 40's!! Thats pretty old! Ive sent the pics over to the beasley store to see if they have any info on it.
When you say dont do anything to it without consulting the right people, who would the right people be?? Im a bike newb and have only ever bought off the shelf gear.
Im in melbourne if that helps,
thanks again for your all your info
trent

yep you probably wont get much out of the shop, unless grandad Beasley is still about that is :) 1940's isnt long ago but the people who were owning shops back then have long past. "the right people" no idea :D but Id say it does not mean "hipster fixie retro" people for a start, Id say, again ,that its best left as is, service the bearings oil the chain, ride it sundays, keep it in a warm dry place othertimes. Dont replace anything that cant be used (even cracked tyres) if that doesnt suit , sell it on. If you want advice on something to replace it just ask there are 1000's of bikes on Ebay daily that may suit you better depending on what you want to do. What you get for this should get you a reliable daily with some class if you shop well.
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"
Torana68

Postby dayne » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:36 pm

I guess the question is what do you want out of the bike?
Do you just want a bike to ride?
The more you tell us the more we can help.
dayne

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 pm

I agree with the previous posters. A bike is not valuable simply because it is old. There are hundreds of old bikes. In the 40's everyone rode bikes. Old bikes are valuable if they have sentimental value for a person. For example my dad and his brothers all rode a certain brand of bike. They were all champion cyclists. I would pay money if I could find one of those branded bikes, like the ones they used to own. I would not want to ride such a bike. I would not want to restore or repaint it. I would like to replace missing parts with similar vintage parts and then hang it on the wall of my garage / games room with one of my dads old jerseys, his lace up bike shoes and his sausage helmet.
If this Beasley means nothing to you, then sell it or pass it on to someone who has some sort of sentimental association with Beasley, and use the funds to buy yourself a bike that you like.
This is not a bike to repaint and ride. It has possible historical value to someone. That may be 5 people, 10, or none.

(PS my dad did not ride for Beasley so I'm not interested)
Derny Driver

Return to Retro biking