Anyone know the maker AMI?

silverlight

Anyone know the maker AMI?

Postby silverlight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:17 pm

Hi All
Sometime back i was shown a frame that was very appealing, it was soon placed on my wanted list and after years i finally got it.
It was Pre-War (1930's) and had lugs that i totally admired. Im yet to see another like this and im very curious about the maker, it has AMI on the downtube with Super Club on the front.
It is all blue as in image and i would doubt very much it is original paint, there is a decal on the seat-tube which has reno but im unable to read it as has faded away
Though i doubt ill find what it could be does anyone know anything of AMI maker (stand for anything) ? sydney based?
Any help would be much appreciated.

SL

Johnj

Re: Anyone know the maker AMI?

Postby Johnj » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:42 am

AMI stands for A M Inglis, who had a bike shop in Eastwood and later Thornleigh. I believe he was probably Albert Inglis and was a brother of Douglas M Inglis who had a bike shop in West Ryde (very clos to Eastwood) where he sold bikes branded DMI.

I presume your bike was a reno, as both Inglis's did a trade in refinishing bikes. There's another AMI reno'd bike recently finished on Fleabay here. More pics would be nice.

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks JohnJ for the info
I will get some more pictures asap,
The ebay one recently listed is what sparked me to get more info on the one i have, the script on down-tube looks very much the same.

SL

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi JohnJ
Here are some more images and yes you are correct sold frames branded DMI, i actually thought it was AMI on d/t.
Some more images below, looks to have had a name on top tube between the fancy patterns.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Well, that's a bit of puzzle isn't it?

DMI bikes were named after Douglas Malcom Inglis, but his brother was Albert Ernest Inglis, so I'm not sure why his bikes were branded AMI. But the reno on this bike is clearly signed A M Inglis, even though the downtube says DMI. Maybe Albert started out with Douglas, branched out on his own, but used DMI for a while, before changing to AMI?

Nice frame, I like the snail cam dropouts.

italianbikefan

Postby italianbikefan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:39 am

Hi johnj and silverlight.
I joined Australian Cycling Forums after seeing your posts on the subject of AMI cycles.
Looking for a bit of nostalgia from my early years of cycle racing, I googled DMI cycles and these posts were about all that I found.
My father was a very good friend of Doug Inglis, who built DMI bikes. (I can safely assume that they were his initials, but I am not sure what his middle name was).
Encouraged by my father I called him Uncle Doug which was the custom in those days.
He had a beautiful little bike shop on Victoria Road West Ryde opposite the Water Board Pumping Station,
My father had a small engineering business across Victoria Road, on the corner of Hermitage Road.
Doug Inglis lived on Rutledge Street Eastwood and died of cancer somewhere around 1970.
I became involved with him when I started racing as a Junior in 1962 with Northern Suburbs Amateur Cycling Club and bought a used DMI bike from a member of the club. It was very well made and featured Reynolds 531 tubing and Nervex lugs.
He had a son named Alan who started a bike shop business in Eastwood and built bikes with the name AMI. He lived at Eastwood at the time and that is when (I would assume) that he refurbished the frame that you are talking about, maintaining his father's brand on it.
Later Alan Inglis moved to Murwillumbah in Northern NSW and had a bike shop in Commercial Road, still selling AMI bikes.
My sister who lives in Murwillumbah tells me that Alan has now passed on, but has a son John who still lives in the town.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Thanks for that mate. This certainly cleared up a few mysteries for me. I thought AMI might have been Doug's brother Albert, but obviously its his son Alan.

Don't know whether you've seen my 1962-ish DMI. It features Nervex lugs, Campag dropouts and is probably built out of Reynolds 531. Do you know if Doug Inglis built his own frames, or had them built by someone else? I'd also be interested if you could throw any light on this bike, or have any idea who Rod Thomas is/was.

You might also be interested in the Wynnall bike refinished as a DMI that's in the Powerhouse Museum collection.

italianbikefan

Postby italianbikefan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:54 am

Hi John,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Where do I start? Joining this forum and reading your suggested links has brought back so may memories that I certainly got more than I bargained for.
I love your bike. You were very lucky to buy it. It makes me think that I should have kept mine, but if I had applied that logic to all the great things that I have owned, I'd need an aircraft hangar to house it all.
I am now 72 y.o. and bought my DMI in 1961 from Dick Stevens who lived at Ryde, not far from Doug's shop. His name was painted on the top tube as is yours with NSACC for Northern Suburbs Amateur Cycling Club. I don't recall the name Rod Thomas.
Doug Inglis was the patron of Northern Suburbs Amateur Cycling Club and I would safely assume that both Rod Thomas and Dick Stevens were members of that club.
I'm sorry that I can't tell you if Doug actually built the frames that carried his name. Via my sister, I'll contact Doug's grandson in Murwillumbah and do my best to find out.
Just trying to recall the setup on my DMI, it did have singles and high flange hubs. It had a French Ideale saddle and Universal side pull brakes. The crankset was Stronglight with Cinelli bars and stem.
I really admire the hand paintwork these bikes had on them.
Regards,
Greg