Oval Chainwheels.

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Oval Chainwheels.

Postby The Fixer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Sorry if this has been done (to death?) before, but 'Delie', my '88-89 Apollo 'Delta', has a Sakae Dual-Tech chainwheel setup (original equipment).

I did some research on it (Sheldon etc) and learned the principle behind it, and that it is apparently now pretty-well obsolete.

Apparently Shimano and a few others made them as well.

'Delie' is the only one of my machines so fitted, and I do suspect that it's one of the reasons why she is so easy to ride, esp on hills.

Anyone else using, or has used them? Opinions, please? And any advice...
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, if you're riding it, and you're happy, it's a good bike.
The Fixer

by BNA » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:02 pm

BNA

Re: Oval Chainwheels.

Postby spirito » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:02 pm

The Fixer wrote: , and that it is apparently now pretty-well obsolete.

They are quite popular (again).
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -work.html
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/09/osyme ... r-miracle/
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.
spirito

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:11 am

My custom heavy tourer was fitted with a first series Shimano Biopace triple crankset (the really oddly-oval ones) from new (1985). and after many thousands of km the cranks and rings are still there - the rings just don't seem to want to wear out!
(sorry for the blurry photo, must get a new one!)

I personally found that the oval rings made grinding up a hill fully loaded slightly easier, they are after all designed to work optimally at low revs. I generally seemed to be one sprocket lower down the block than with a comparable bike with round rings. As I don't spin much past 95-100 rpm I didn't find they adversely affected my pedaling at higher speeds.
So they must be some good as they've stayed on the bike for almost 30 years (gosh :shock: getting old...) but when they finally wear out, if I had to replace them with round rings due to unavailability I wouldn't be too sad about it.

Cheers
Richard
WyvernRH

Postby minhyy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:08 am

+1, I've got a set of later ('88-'90) on my Pug and they seem pretty durable. When I switch over to my other bike with with circular chainrings it does feel slightly different pedalling. My brother runs Biopace on all of his bikes but he rotates them 90deg before installing them on the crank spider, because he believes he gets more power out that way?
Party like it's 1999
minhyy

Return to Retro biking