Latest addition

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Latest addition

Postby cludence » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:19 pm

Ive been flat out with work thus it being quite from me lately. Thought I would stop by and post a pic of my latest addition. A friend gave me this on the weekend. By fluke it turns out the original owner is still around, was riding up until two weeks ago, (is 80) and is good mates and used to race with another friend of mine.

This bike is from the 50's, is a Bizmyre made frame and is currently on my workstand getting cleaned up as it is my size. Cant wait to take this one out for a spin.

Karen.

cludence

by BNA » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:33 pm

BNA

Postby ausdb » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:33 pm

Way cool lugwork :D
ausdb

Postby GaryF » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:42 pm

Hi Karen,

Very impressive. Very original.

Stronglight cranks (Campy didn't have cranks then), Campy Gran Sport derailleurs, Universal brakes with hard to find gum hoods, pump umbrella on the gear lever clamp, Nervex pro lugs - all top shelf stuff.

I notice that even though your new bike has the best of everything available in the 50's, it doesn't have a 2 bolt micro adjustable seatpost. this may be a clue to it's build date. Campagnolo introduced their steel 2 bolt seatpost in 1956 - perhaps your bike is pre 1956.

The Gran Sport rear derailleur also changed a few times throughout the 50's. Yours is probably the 3rd version which is the most common version. I think the bottom pivot bolt's spring cover got bigger (more internal room for the spring) over the course of the 50's. The cover width changed from 3.5mm to 5mm wide in 1953 then to 8mm wide in 1956.

This info. may help you date the bike if the original owner has forgotten the actual build date.

Very, very nice and your size too - life (bike collecting) doesn't get much better than that.

Congratulations,

Gary.
Last edited by GaryF on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryF

Postby vx255 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Thanks for sharing that Karen, what a fantastic "find".
Striving for mediocrity.
vx255

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:11 am

It sure is yet another example of Cludence's amazing luck.

This one has Nervex professional lugs which is all but a guarantee of top quality tubing. The brakes are Universal Mod 51's & the levers are the same as was used with the Super 68 brakes. This lever was introduced in the earlier 60's or possibly the late 50's.
The cranks are the earlier non 'Marque' trade mark type, [This additional word was added in the late 50's or early 60's] so are of the second generation of these model 49D cranks.

The rear derailleur is a Nuovo Record so I presume it replaced the original sometime during the bikes life.

A nicely broken in Brooks Professional saddle will set it off perfectly.

Most certainly an extremely good score that was saved from a terrible fate at the last moment.
Congratulations yet again.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
Kid_Carbine

Postby stevendavid75 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:34 am

everyone appears to have overlooked the bell!! :roll:

Nice find Karen
stevendavid75

Postby cludence » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:40 am

The bike is going for a short car trip today to see Jim Bundy. He used to ride with the previous owner of the bike and wants to see it. Its been half dismantled as I am hoping to have it on the road by the weekend. (Wishfull thinking) I have the brooks saddle which will go on it. Just got to sort the odd wheels out.

Karen.
cludence

Postby GaryF » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Hi Karen,

I think Kid is right in saying the rear derailleur is a Nuovo Record; on closer inspection it does have the Nuovo Record look.

Just a question on the make of frame - There was a John or Jan Bylsma who represented Australia at the 66 Empire games as a pursuit rider. I understand that he was the Aust. Pursuit champion in 65, 66, 67 & 68 as well as a junior champion. I was wondering if Bizmyre and Bylsma are one in the same?

Jan or John Bylsma was a sponsored rider for Master Sports bikes in the mid 60's so this could put a hole in my frame name question.

Gary.
GaryF

Postby 531db » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

GaryF wrote:Hi Karen,

I think Kid is right in saying the rear derailleur is a Nuovo Record; on closer inspection it does have the Nuovo Record look.

Just a question on the make of frame - There was a John or Jan Bylsma who represented Australia at the 66 Empire games as a pursuit rider. I understand that he was the Aust. Pursuit champion in 65, 66, 67 & 68 as well as a junior champion. I was wondering if Bizmyre and Bylsma are one in the same?

Jan or John Bylsma was a sponsored rider for Master Sports bikes in the mid 60's so this could put a hole in my frame name question.

Gary.

Gary, oddly enough when Karen told me about the Bizmyre a few days ago, I thought of John Bylsma as well, although after talking more with Karen it was apparent there was not a connection. I saw the two Bizmyre's today at Jim Bundy's and the white one especially is a very nice bike. I can confirm the rear derailluer is a NR, and the Universal 51 calipers are the first I've seen in a while.

531db.
531db

Postby cludence » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:30 pm

Thanks 531, saves me typing a big reply. George Bizmyre is still around and is 95. A good friend of mine also has one of George's track frames. Its stunning and his has the original inch pitch chainring he used to ride on.

Picked up a campag hub on the way home which would fit the white bike but is from a later date so still got to find something more age apropriate.

Karen.
cludence

Postby Kid_Carbine » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:02 am

DO NOT attempt to remove the cranks with a regular crank puller as these Stronglight cranks have a unique thread & the correct puller is required in order to avoid thread damage or destruction.

I suspect that Jim has one & of course I have one, so if you wish to service the bottom bracket, you will need to steal, beg, borrow or buy one of these.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
Kid_Carbine

Postby feelthewheel » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:48 am

Congratulations Cludence - a wonderful frame going to a more than worthy guardian! Enjoy the km's breaking the Brooks in a little more :D
feelthewheel

Postby cludence » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:51 am

DO NOT attempt to remove the cranks with a regular crank puller as these Stronglight cranks have a unique thread & the correct puller is required in order to avoid thread damage or destruction.

Yes I knew this and I have already sorted the apropriate crank puller.

Thanks.
cludence

Postby cludence » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:40 pm

I confess, the above white bike came with a friend. This was the owners brothers. This one has incorrect components and will be stripped and repainted as it has unfortunately had a few decorations added to it.

It is the same size so I am going to rebuild both for me to ride.

Karen.

cludence

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:54 pm

cludence wrote:I confess, the above white bike came with a friend. This was the owners brothers. This one has incorrect components and will be stripped and repainted as it has unfortunately had a few decorations added to it.

It is the same size so I am going to rebuild both for me to ride.

Karen.

OK i'm going to stick my neck out here and say that this blue frame is a British built, just post WWII/early 50's lightweight. The fancy lugs are obviously hand cut, it has the high mounted mudguard eyes which vanished in the UK in the early 50's but has the 'Continental' or modern style headset which (almost certainly) fixes it as post WWII. It also has the Semi-Russ or Italian long sweep forks common at the time. The lug pattern looks very Holdsworth to me but the fork crown is unusual, normally they are more ornate to match the lugs.
I havn't seen a period Aussie frame with the high mudguard mounts and given that Aussies seem to view mudguards as unnecessary I can't see them being added cos the dropouts weren't drilled :)
I would be very interested to see if any original markings are under that blue paint. Karen, can you see the frame number and where is it positioned? What do the rear dropouts look like?
Cheers
Richard
WyvernRH

Postby cludence » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:08 pm

Richard,

I will get some clearer pics tomorrow of the bike. I should have mentioned this is also a Bizmyre frame. Same frame builder made both of them. I have the builders name, just not in front of me at the moment.

Karen.
cludence

Return to Retro biking