Michalo info.

xerlex

Michalo info.

Postby xerlex » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:32 pm

A bunch of years ago I came across a Michalo road bike that had been painted up as a 7/11 Merckx and, thinking it was a cheap merckx, snapped it up. Long story short it ended up getting a full restoration but try as I might I couldn't get much information in who or what Michalo was. Fast forward to about 8 months ago I was selling up a bunch of stuff to help pay for a new ride and was contacted by the grandson of Ron Mitten who was/built Michalo and ended up getting Ron's number. I just got off the phone from him and have a bit of info to share about the marque.

The story goes that Ron had a tool making business in Airport West and was at that time making trays for the biscuit industry and when things started to slow down, rather than put workers off, he turned his hand to frame building after talking with his friend Ken Evans. Between 1979 and 1994 somewhere between 200 and 250 frames were built, the last of which was made of Reynolds 753 and is still in the Mitten family, he also built a frame for Kathy Watt. Ron told me all Michalos were silver brazed and tubes were mitred on his mill. He mostly built road frames and built for veterans and raced as a veteran himself but also built some track frames (I know of 4 personally) and a handfull of touring frames that were produced for a fellow by the name of Ian (unsure of last name). The frames were painted at Mascot Cycles when they were located in Carlton. Some frames were also built for Vern Smith Cycles in Footscray.

Ron said he had to stop building when he broke his back in an accident and could no longer stand for the time needed to build frames and after doing some repair work here and there sold all his equippment to Cecil Walker. He also said that he was not a person to do things by halves and that if he couldn't do it properly then he didn't do it at all.

He sounded like a nice bloke and was happy to talk about his frame building days. I'm glad I pulled my finger out and called him!

xerlex

Re: Michalo info.

Postby xerlex » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:39 pm

He also said that most of the frames he build were 22 inches.

cotterpin

Postby cotterpin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:56 am

Thanks xerlex,
Great story, lots of familiar names.
The fellow you refer to as Ian, was probably Ian Christie. Ian had a shop in Hawthorn specializing in touring bikes and tandems.
Mascot Cycles painted close to 90% of all hand built frames made in Melbourne through the 70's and 80's.
Does your Michalo have the Mascot ID cuts under the c/stay and on the steerer? e.g. XIII.

Cheers
This add appeared in the National Cycling mag June-July edition 1982
a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:29 am

Thanks, Cotterpin!

Ron couldn't remember Ian's surname but Ian Christie makes perfect sense. Ill have to keep a closer eye on any Christies that come up in future.

Ill have a look for the Mascot I'd cuts.

The geo of the frame in that advertisement looks very aggressive, thanks for posting the image too:-)

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:34 pm

For reference, the Mascot ID cuts on the BB shell of my Vitesse (built by none other than Cotterpin himself).

Nice story Erle

spirito

Postby spirito » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

this thread needs bigger advert scan .. :wink:

Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

rhett_racer

Postby rhett_racer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:11 pm

Hey guys - I just wanted to say thanks for this thread!

So I am another of Ron Mitten's grandsons (there are 5 of us, although I'm only a step-grandson if that is such a thing). I've never really known much about the bikes he made, but stumbled across this article and will be printing out the old ad for him.

I'm sure it really made his day talking to you xerlex, thanks.

I can remember back when I was only 4-5 years old in the mid 1980s the workshop he had behind his house in Pascoe Vale, with all the old bike posters on the wall (including one of 100's of topless girls riding bikes in france, which I got embarrassed about but could stop looking at. ;-) I think he'd stopped making many bikes by then, and just did it as a bit of a hobby. He made me my first bike for my 4th(?) birthday, a tiny Michalo. Unfortunately it lasted less than a month - I left it in the driveway at home and my other grandpa reversed over it...

Any other info or memorabilia that anyone has would be appreciated.

cheers,
Rhett

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:19 pm

rhett_racer wrote:Hey guys - I just wanted to say thanks for this thread!

So I am another of Ron Mitten's grandsons (there are 5 of us, although I'm only a step-grandson if that is such a thing). I've never really known much about the bikes he made, but stumbled across this article and will be printing out the old ad for him.

I'm sure it really made his day talking to you xerlex, thanks.

I can remember back when I was only 4-5 years old in the mid 1980s the workshop he had behind his house in Pascoe Vale, with all the old bike posters on the wall (including one of 100's of topless girls riding bikes in france, which I got embarrassed about but could stop looking at. ;-) I think he'd stopped making many bikes by then, and just did it as a bit of a hobby. He made me my first bike for my 4th(?) birthday, a tiny Michalo. Unfortunately it lasted less than a month - I left it in the driveway at home and my other grandpa reversed over it...

Any other info or memorabilia that anyone has would be appreciated.

cheers,
Rhett
Glad you've posted here, Rhett, it was great to talk to you grandpa. The one Michalo I have left is one bike I'll be keeping for life, I still owe him a few photos of it too.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:31 am

makes me smile reading this thread…another great piece of cycling history in Melbourne!'
thanks everyone!

LG

Postby LG » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:26 pm

Dredging up an old thread, this Michalo popped up on gumtree in Hobart recently. Bit of a mixed bag of parts mostly from the very early 80s which I assume would be about the construction date, but a very nicely built bike in very good condition. The seller had owned it for about 20 years, and had bought it second hand which was when I assume the Tassie Cycles shop sticker was added to it. Reasonably relaxed angles with space for mudguards so would make an excellent randonneur style bike. It's a 55cm bike, so a bit small for me unfortunately, let me know if you're on here and have been looking for one of these for ages.
LG = Low Gear

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:02 pm

LG wrote:Dredging up an old thread, this Michalo popped up on gumtree in Hobart recently. Bit of a mixed bag of parts
And here it is with a newer mixed bag of parts.

steelfan

Postby steelfan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi Guys,

I know this an old thread but I have just been given a Michalo so I thought I'd research the brand.

The bike I have been given has no wheels, the brake levers are Shimano and the shift levers are Shimano 105. The rest of the components are Campagnolo or Cinelli (bars and stem). It has Reynolds 753 stickers on it and the number 37 stamped on the bottom bracket. It also has Ultra Record stickers on the chain stays.

I was going to use some of the parts off this bike but if someone has a keen interest in the brand and would like to restore this bike I would be willing to let it go, as is.

Thanks for the tread. It was an interesting read.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:17 am

^ Can you post up some photos? What size is it?

shiftyg23

Postby shiftyg23 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi Steelfan

I would love to get my hands on the frame if I could. As discussed above I am one of the builders grandsons and Ron passed away last year and have been hunting for his frames for a while now with no luck. Do you know the size?

Cheers
Spencer
steelfan wrote:Hi Guys,

I know this an old thread but I have just been given a Michalo so I thought I'd research the brand.

The bike I have been given has no wheels, the brake levers are Shimano and the shift levers are Shimano 105. The rest of the components are Campagnolo or Cinelli (bars and stem). It has Reynolds 753 stickers on it and the number 37 stamped on the bottom bracket. It also has Ultra Record stickers on the chain stays.

I was going to use some of the parts off this bike but if someone has a keen interest in the brand and would like to restore this bike I would be willing to let it go, as is.

Thanks for the tread. It was an interesting read.

steelfan

Postby steelfan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi Spencer,

Sorry I thought I would get a notification of a response so I haven't checked back to this thread. I am not sure of the size but it is smaller than my bikes so I am going to guess and say probably 55/53cm. I also have some photos but I can't figure out how to attach them.

shiftyg23

Postby shiftyg23 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Thanks - have you a private message
steelfan wrote:Hi Spencer,

Sorry I thought I would get a notification of a response so I haven't checked back to this thread. I am not sure of the size but it is smaller than my bikes so I am going to guess and say probably 55/53cm. I also have some photos but I can't figure out how to attach them.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 am

Alleged Michalo tourer for sale in Mentone: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mentone ... s_bicycles

Coffs1962

Postby Coffs1962 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:17 am

Hi
I have an old Michalo I built up as a project and now looking to sell, I did the frame in a two pack clear, finish I read the history and this frame is the touring version I believe, with an extra set of bidon cage holders on the down tube. The frame and fork are Reynolds 531, with silver brazed main frame lugs and Campagnolo drop outs.
I can sell the whole bike as is for $640.00, or the frameset on it's own if anyone is interested.
Some of the additions I made as the old parts were worn out
Nitto Noodle Bars
Velo Orange Grand Cru seatpost (looks brilliant)
Selle San Marco Royal Saddle
Found an old Zefal HP frame pump
Lezyne Bidon Cages
I am in Mentone, Melbourne, Give me a call if interested
I also have it listed on Ebay and Gumtree at the moment

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/132858829522
Last edited by find_bruce on Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove phone number

Coffs1962

Postby Coffs1962 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:21 am

P!N20 wrote:Alleged Michalo tourer for sale in Mentone: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mentone ... s_bicycles
Hi, Yes that is correct, I do have the original photo taken before I did the strip down and rebuild, I did it clear with no stickers, I know someone makes them up but figured I would leave it bare. The frame under the bb and the fork have the markings, I think they were used when sent off to the painters for identification. Happy to ask any questions about it. Cheers

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:10 am

Can you post a before picture?

Interested in why you didn’t put Michalo in the eBay ad?

Also, probably not the best practice to post your mobile number.

Beautiful bike, pity it’s a touch too big for me - assuming that 58 is centre to centre.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:50 am

Coffs1962 wrote:I am in Mentone, Melbourne, Give me a call if interested
For privacy, email addresses and phone numbers generally should not be published. As a member however, you can send others a PM (Private Message) which is a forum internal messaging service and through that, contact details can be shared.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Coffs1962

Postby Coffs1962 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:16 am

The only photo I could find was the old Gumtree ad where I picked it up but the quality is poor, the mainframe triangle was white with a red/maroon band in the centre of each and the rest was white, it was in poor condition when I picked it up hence the replaced saddle, seatpost, bars, all cables and outers cages my total spend was around $996 excluding the hours mostly removing the paint. The top tube is more like 56cm and the seat tube is more like 58cm ctc. I tried using the Michalo name and even posted the old ad to see if that drew interest but no good on either Gumtree or Ebay so I decided down the Reynolds 531 path, found the markings on the frame tubing after lots of sanding. Anyway considering stripping it down and selling as parts if I can't sell it as a complete bike. Cheers

simonsausage

Postby simonsausage » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:19 pm

I picked this up recently, not knowing what it was. I was pretty happy to discover it was a Melbourne made bike.
Looks like it has barely been ridden too. The groupset is in excellent condition and the rims have no wear at all. I'm almost nervous about riding it...

Image[/URL]
Hoarder of the lowest order.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:24 pm

simonsausage wrote:I picked this up recently, not knowing what it was. I was pretty happy to discover it was a Melbourne made bike.
Looks like it has barely been ridden too. The groupset is in excellent condition and the rims have no wear at all. I'm almost nervous about riding it...

Image[/URL]
Suffering a fairly severe attack of envy right now....

I mean, goddamn, it's my size and everything... :(
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

jon kirk

Postby jon kirk » Fri May 24, 2019 10:11 am

hi guys,
not too sure if this page is still active, i have a michalo frame that i have had for at least 25 years. i too am curious about the bike and builder as i would like to restore it back to original. when i bought it, it had colnago stickers on it, pearl white paint job and chrome tommisini forks. the bloke i bought it from was trading up for carbon. this bike also has a mismatch of components, shmano, campy, cinelli. looking at changing it all to campy. if anyone does have any further info on this bike, id love to hear from them. and just in case you were wondering, no i dont have any interest in selling it.