Shimano Aero AX gruppos

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Shimano Aero AX gruppos

Postby koen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:53 am

Just thought I'd start a thread as I can't find one for this gear. Adamas/600/DuraAce.
I'll dig out the catalogue I have and scan some of it in too.
I am just putting the best gear back on my old Madison. Its not worth anything, heavy as, but I like it anyway.

These are two adamas rear mechs. One made june 81, the other April 82. There is a minor change in that the first has steel parallelogram.
The chainrings on Adamas is a very light assembly on a splined bb with splined cranks. Only the 'pickup' teeth are steel
Last edited by koen on Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koen

by BNA » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:13 pm

BNA

Re: Shimano Aero AX gruppos

Postby koen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:13 pm

Some decals present on many bikes of the period
koen

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:06 pm

I have some DuraAce AX cranks and pedals. Excellent condition. Was going to put them on a retro rebuild but am open to offers if anyone wants them. I have the chainrings somewhere too.
Derny Driver

Postby KGB » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:29 pm

I picked up some of the same DA cranks and pedals recently on fleabay for $50. Condition is not the greatest but cranks are probably one of the easier components to polish up.
The pedal bearings are a bit crunchy and stiff - any info or tips on opening them up and servicing them? I also got a set of reducing adaptors so I can attach normal pedals but they're steel and weigh a tonne so if I actually get the cranks cleaned up and want to use them I might get some alloy adaptors made.
KGB

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:59 pm

Interesting thread guys. Well done. Keep the pics coming.
Opening up some details about the gruppo family I didn't realise.

Did the Adamas group have the funky big pedal attachment size?
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby koen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Adamas has standard pedals..or an aero platform style but heavy and for plain shoes. The oversize was to drop the centre which was a good idea but stupid too if you know what I mean. A lot of the AX stuff has interesting ideas. Its like the Ford Edsel of Shimano I think.
koen

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:52 pm

Any love here for Positron shifting?

(sound of crickets)

thought not ;)
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby koen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:06 pm

The catalogue has this dude in a few places. Got to get me one of those latex suits :oops:

Then starts on about wind tunnels and pages of silly history of bicycles and wind powered craft.

This is about page 6 when it starts to talk about the gruppos development
koen

Postby koen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Back page is this spreadsheet of all the components. Interesting that the Adamas stuff pictured in other pages in more detail is alot of steel, especially brakes, but in production was mostly alloy like the 600 and DuraAce.
koen

Postby t-rav » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:36 pm

I got some shimano Dura-ace AX stuff recently, but the brakes were the dia compe aero brakes. Interesting also.
t-rav

Postby alrsv1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:21 am

Recently picked up a Tange Aero frame (probably a Standish) with full Dura Ace AX groupset.
I'm restoring it as we speak.

See thread here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=72674

KGB, the pedals are quite easy to service, mine were all stiff and crunchy as well as the grease had dried up. On the back of the pedal there is a big Allen
bolt. Just undo that and the bearing assembly will come apart. There are two separate bearings (all loose so be careful), just slowly pull them apart and then clean
and re-grease. Its easy. Mine feel like new now. I had to do the same with the bearings for the wheels and BB/Headset.

I'm not sure how well the AX will work but it's beautiful made and has "quirky" value. It polishes up nice as well:

Cheers....

Al.
alrsv1

Postby P!N20 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:12 pm

Well we can't have a Dura-Ace AX thread without the best bit - hidden bolt stems!

When I bought my McBain it came with an AX stem and AX 'aero' seat post to fit* the Tange Aero tubing. I originally wanted a full AX groupset, but soon discovered it only came as a road group, so just kept the stem and seatpost. I kinda like how optimistic the early 80's aero thing was; as if a slightly modified shape was going to really counter the big chunk of flesh and bones sitting atop the saddle!

I polished out the silkscreened D-A AX logos which were pretty banged up anyway. The stem was missing the cap when I bought it, so I had a buy a whole new stem just for a cap!

If money (or time) was no object I'd love to find some AX bars to put on it as there's not many bars that match the AX stem's 26.0 clamp. The grub screw seatpost, er, binder is arguably the worst thing to come out of that aero period.

* It doesn't fit very well.
P!N20

Postby KGB » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks for the tips on the pedals Al, I think mine have just dried up and glued themselves stiff too. Once I started working one of them around a bit it loosened up (and all the dried grease started flaking out!)
Great polish job.
KGB

Return to Retro biking