Shimano Aero AX gruppos

koen

Shimano Aero AX gruppos

Postby koen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Just thought I'd start a thread as I can't find one for this gear. Adamas/600/DuraAce.
I'll dig out the catalogue I have and scan some of it in too.
I am just putting the best gear back on my old Madison. Its not worth anything, heavy as, but I like it anyway.

These are two adamas rear mechs. One made june 81, the other April 82. There is a minor change in that the first has steel parallelogram.
The chainrings on Adamas is a very light assembly on a splined bb with splined cranks. Only the 'pickup' teeth are steel
Last edited by koen on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koen

Re: Shimano Aero AX gruppos

Postby koen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:13 pm

Some decals present on many bikes of the period

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:06 pm

I have some DuraAce AX cranks and pedals. Excellent condition. Was going to put them on a retro rebuild but am open to offers if anyone wants them. I have the chainrings somewhere too.
Last edited by find_bruce on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photobucket fix

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:29 pm

I picked up some of the same DA cranks and pedals recently on fleabay for $50. Condition is not the greatest but cranks are probably one of the easier components to polish up.
The pedal bearings are a bit crunchy and stiff - any info or tips on opening them up and servicing them? I also got a set of reducing adaptors so I can attach normal pedals but they're steel and weigh a tonne so if I actually get the cranks cleaned up and want to use them I might get some alloy adaptors made.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Interesting thread guys. Well done. Keep the pics coming.
Opening up some details about the gruppo family I didn't realise.

Did the Adamas group have the funky big pedal attachment size?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

koen

Postby koen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Adamas has standard pedals..or an aero platform style but heavy and for plain shoes. The oversize was to drop the centre which was a good idea but stupid too if you know what I mean. A lot of the AX stuff has interesting ideas. Its like the Ford Edsel of Shimano I think.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:52 pm

Any love here for Positron shifting?

(sound of crickets)

thought not ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

koen

Postby koen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:06 pm

The catalogue has this dude in a few places. Got to get me one of those latex suits :oops:

Then starts on about wind tunnels and pages of silly history of bicycles and wind powered craft.

This is about page 6 when it starts to talk about the gruppos development

koen

Postby koen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Back page is this spreadsheet of all the components. Interesting that the Adamas stuff pictured in other pages in more detail is alot of steel, especially brakes, but in production was mostly alloy like the 600 and DuraAce.

t-rav

Postby t-rav » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:36 pm

I got some shimano Dura-ace AX stuff recently, but the brakes were the dia compe aero brakes. Interesting also.

alrsv1

Postby alrsv1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:21 am

Recently picked up a Tange Aero frame (probably a Standish) with full Dura Ace AX groupset.
I'm restoring it as we speak.

See thread here: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 23&t=72674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KGB, the pedals are quite easy to service, mine were all stiff and crunchy as well as the grease had dried up. On the back of the pedal there is a big Allen
bolt. Just undo that and the bearing assembly will come apart. There are two separate bearings (all loose so be careful), just slowly pull them apart and then clean
and re-grease. Its easy. Mine feel like new now. I had to do the same with the bearings for the wheels and BB/Headset.

I'm not sure how well the AX will work but it's beautiful made and has "quirky" value. It polishes up nice as well:

Cheers....

Al.
1997 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Frezoni MAX,
1992 Cannondale M2000, 201Pivot Mach5.5.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:12 pm

Well we can't have a Dura-Ace AX thread without the best bit - hidden bolt stems!

When I bought my McBain it came with an AX stem and AX 'aero' seat post to fit* the Tange Aero tubing. I originally wanted a full AX groupset, but soon discovered it only came as a road group, so just kept the stem and seatpost. I kinda like how optimistic the early 80's aero thing was; as if a slightly modified shape was going to really counter the big chunk of flesh and bones sitting atop the saddle!

I polished out the silkscreened D-A AX logos which were pretty banged up anyway. The stem was missing the cap when I bought it, so I had a buy a whole new stem just for a cap!

If money (or time) was no object I'd love to find some AX bars to put on it as there's not many bars that match the AX stem's 26.0 clamp. The grub screw seatpost, er, binder is arguably the worst thing to come out of that aero period.

* It doesn't fit very well.
Last edited by find_bruce on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photobucket fix

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:39 pm

Thanks for the tips on the pedals Al, I think mine have just dried up and glued themselves stiff too. Once I started working one of them around a bit it loosened up (and all the dried grease started flaking out!)
Great polish job.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:09 pm

Thought I'd bring up a past thread to see if anyone has managed to figure out a way to replace the brake pads on the Adamas brakes.

The 600 brakes had a cartridge system that is close enough to modern cartridge brake pads, however the Adamas brakes fit directly into a rectangular space and are held in by an M4 bolt with a captive nut.

I'm thinking that perhaps a pair of the bolt on skinny V brake pads might be able to be shaped to fit, however the bolts are typically M6. If I can make the back of the pads fit into the recess then I can drill the hole out to suit. Whilst I am loathe to drill holes OR otherwise permanently modify the calliper, I would rather have brakes that function than maintain their originality.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Cheers,

Cameron

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:04 am

ironhanglider wrote:Thought I'd bring up a past thread to see if anyone has managed to figure out a way to replace the brake pads on the Adamas brakes.
Koolstop have this

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:36 am

Clydesdale Scot wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:Thought I'd bring up a past thread to see if anyone has managed to figure out a way to replace the brake pads on the Adamas brakes.
Koolstop have this
That's the one!

Now all I need to do is find someone who can get them in...

Do you happen to know any purveyors of rocking horse poo? Oddly enough no-one seems to stock pads that were only made for one model which was last manufactured over 30 years ago.

I have made a couple of calls, but the item number doesn't appear on the stock lists.

The right part would be much better than mutilating stuff.

Cheers,

Cameron

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:21 pm

And found!

Abbotsford Cycles, who have a good reputation for finding rare stuff have come through. A set of salmon pads now on order. Not cheap, might take a while, but in the meantime I now have an reason to give the brakes a clean and polish.

Cheers,

Cameron

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:13 pm

that was quick
I need to get some pads for the GB Courer and Weinmann shoes. I will also give Abbotsford a try before ordering from overseas.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue May 10, 2016 8:49 pm

My pads have arrived!

I am really looking forward to my ride tomorrow.

Cheers,

Cameron

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:35 am

Continuing on from this thread.
find_bruce wrote:We seem to be drifting away from frame weights.

As you say Velobase is good, its not god. Looking at the catalogue photo of the 3 posts, I see standard round with fluting, round insertion with aero top and oval insertion with round top. I haven't seen a 7300 standard round seat tube with or without fluting. The way I read it is
  • 7300 A-type - standard round seat post - ie round all the way
  • 7310 B-type - round insertion, semi oval aero top
  • 7320 C-type - tear drop insertion, round top
  • 7322 E-type - oval insertion, round top
Good summary, but show me a SP-7300 A-type seatpost which is round all the way.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 24, 2017 4:59 pm

P!N20 wrote:Continuing on from this thread.
Good summary, but show me a SP-7300 A-type seatpost which is round all the way.
It is consistent with 7400 with A type being fluted & b type having the aero top. Only place I have seen one is page 16 of the 1982 shimano cattledog you linked to

But there are plenty of dura ace fluted 7200 & 7400

Just one more

Postby Just one more » Wed May 24, 2017 5:46 pm

A few images for the thread , hopefully handy for people to get dates right, this bike was bought new in 1982,
And is as it came out. Bit tatty but you get the idea

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 25, 2017 6:45 am

In digging around about ax gruppos I came across Disraeli gears - the turbulent AX story given the site, it is about the rear derailleurs. I particularly liked this quote
The Shimano Positron AX (AX10) manages to bear two of the most infamous monikers in Shimano History - ‘Positron’ and ‘AX’. All it needs is ‘Biopace’ shaped pulley wheels and the set would be complete. In marketing terms, it is the kind of laughing stock that gets laughed at by other laughing stocks.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu May 25, 2017 1:57 pm

Maligned and peculiar though it is, Positron is important as the original indexed shifting, which we now all take for granted. :-)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu May 25, 2017 10:54 pm

find_bruce wrote:In digging around about ax gruppos I came across Disraeli gears - the turbulent AX story given the site, it is about the rear derailleurs. I particularly liked this quote
The Shimano Positron AX (AX10) manages to bear two of the most infamous monikers in Shimano History - ‘Positron’ and ‘AX’. All it needs is ‘Biopace’ shaped pulley wheels and the set would be complete. In marketing terms, it is the kind of laughing stock that gets laughed at by other laughing stocks.
Biopace is unlikely, 10mm pitch on the other hand...

Cheers,

Cameron