Castigating Cottered Cranks

Gazukes

Castigating Cottered Cranks

Postby Gazukes » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:41 pm

Tinkering around with some run-of-the-mill bicycles at moment, and am wondering when cottered cranks went out of production? And are they loathed by all? Since I prefer vintage, I like them for their simple mechanics, bang a stick in the hole to stop it moving :idea:

Cheers, TC

koen

Re: Castigating Cottered Cranks

Postby koen » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:47 pm

If you treat them well/properly they are fine. Most are just heavy compared to newer alloy cranks. They were still common until the late 70's on basic bikes but then square taper took over.

commando

Postby commando » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:59 pm

I've grown to like them as well, a piece of pipe, a punch and a hammer are all that's needed to get them in or out. The only issue these days is getting quality cotters, and if you've got a Raleigh you need the right profile. They're simple as.

Gazukes

Postby Gazukes » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:18 pm

I haven't explored the BB on my Raleigh Twenty, ever, lol. I'll be mighty gentle when I do. The rest of the machine seems bomb proof.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:57 pm

koen wrote:If you treat them well/properly they are fine. Most are just heavy compared to newer alloy cranks. They were still common until the late 70's on basic bikes but then square taper took over.
Weight wasn't the issue - they tended to loosen up as the cotters get out of shape. They were somewhat softer than the cranks.

However, cotters were just one more consumable, as reflected in the price. You just had to replace them as necessary and that would be about the easiest of any bike maintenance task. If you rode hard then you replaced them more often.

I guess I'm happy that we don't have them anymore but they were no big issue.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle