singlespeedscott

Re: Miyata/Koga Miyata Appreciation Society

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:25 am

+2

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:05 pm

Crikeys this topic is due for a revival

Today was perfect riding weather in SE Qld.
And the early morning sunlight gave some good lighting opportunities.
picture taken in the Brisbane suburb of Toowong after a 31km ride with lots of lumps in it.

1983 KogaMiyata light tourer bike, relatively original
except now runs Suntour early 90's derailleurs and early 90's indexed Shimano shifters.
Other non-original improvements - early 90's ITM stem, (compact) 3TTT bars, and Shimano 600 aero brake levers.
Original Shimano crankset had a very unusual 122mm BCD, currently running a late '70s Tourney crankset with hill-friendly 46/39 chainrings.

koen

Postby koen » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:19 pm

Handlebar tape! Thats unusual for you Steve :-)

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:36 pm

koen wrote:Handlebar tape! Thats unusual for you Steve :-)
Phew! bet you didn't notice that one SPD-SL pedal is black, and the other is silver :wink:

morini

Postby morini » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:01 pm

Lovely spot up in the Toowong cemetery too.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:06 am

handlebar tape that doesn't look like you chose the most offensive colour for that frame, too! :D
so happy that you enjoy your koga so much. you must have thousands of miles on it by now.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:14 am

I picked up this Miyata One Thousand earlier this year after a tip on the ebay thread, as a gift for my gf. A bit of elbow grease and a small fortune in german touring bits and english leather later it was enjoying it's first loaded adventure. It rides wonderfully and looks great, even if I do say so myself :-)

ImageLinda's Miyata fully loaded by Grant White, on Flickr

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:27 pm

Beautiful. Good touring bikes have their own 'presence'.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:40 pm

Nice build Grant.

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:59 pm

Heres my "restored" 414 - 100year anniversary model. (A quick photo between rainshowers)

I have owned this one since new, bought in 1990 and my first ever bike purchase in my first year of work. From memory (25years ago) this was around $550-$600 - about a months wage at the time. Bought from Dick Tressider in Hamilton.

I upgraded sometime in the early to mid 90's to a mainly shimano 105 ensemble with Mavic Open SUP rims, Cinelli bars and stem and Selle saddle

Has been sitting in the back of the shed for some time when family came along. Recently getting back into cycling and decided to rebuild/restore. New parts essentially brakes and levers, front deraillleur, seat post. Other than the usual suspects (handle bar tape, cables, chain, tyres, pedals) the rest is as it was mid 90's

Paint - "passion purple and dark platinum" and stickers are original. I was surpised how good the paint came up with a buff and polish.

Finished weight 10.75kg - not bad for a midrange steely
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

ianb58

Postby ianb58 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:17 am

91 Carbon Tech 3000
No original equipment on it except the front changer and gear levers
Slowly changing everything to 600 Tri Colour
I just love the Carbon weave
It is missing the "miyata" decal on the other side of the down tube. Does anywhere supply individual decals, or do I have to get the full set?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:40 am

ianb58 wrote:It is missing the "miyata" decal on the other side of the down tube. Does anywhere supply individual decals, or do I have to get the full set?
seen these at Velocals?
http://www.velocals.com/miyata-team-miy ... down-tube/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ianb58

Postby ianb58 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks. I have only just started looking and had only seen full sets.
As nothing else on the bike is original, they will be near enough

Ian

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:16 pm

ianb58 wrote:they will be near enough
Ian
you can select letter colour, accent colour and size.
You need to ensure that the font is the same.

ianb58

Postby ianb58 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:47 pm

Thanks, should have looked properly - too excited

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:09 pm

if there is any variation you require, just ask JR (at Velocals) to customise it for you.

QuangVuong

Miyata/Koga Miyata Appreciation Society

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:51 pm

That's a nice Miyata. I was considering it, but it's huge for me. Id love to get the gold lugged one.

I haven't heard from JR in a couple weeks. Maybe Christmas/New Years break or something. Then again email contact never was that efficient with them.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:33 am

I've finally got around to taking a decent picture or two of my 310. As it always the way the driver was I needed some photos in order to sell it as it's been declared surplus to requirements, my wife just doesn't seem to understand that one road bike is not the same as another and despite the fact that I only have one set of legs that it's fine to have multiple road bikes. Anyway, the old girl has been a nice memory trip to have around despite not being ridden much. It's also reinvigorated my love of old steel so maybe I'll need to fill that spot in the shed at some point :)

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:45 am

That 310 looks nice

I picked up a GL212 recently, it's in very nice condition and looks to be a well made bike. I'm still undecided about what to do with it

ShredR

Postby ShredR » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:45 pm

I just purchased this 1990 Miyata 414 for my first restoration project.

The thing is, restoration is not urgent - it's in very good condition - the pearlescent paint is better than it deserves to be for a 26 yo bike. The Alex wheels are obviously non standard the the black seat post needs to go but it's running Shimano Exage Motion which I'm sure is original (although the 1990 Miyata Catalogue mentions Suntour Blaze 7 speed for the 414 http://www.miyatacatalogs.com/2007/12/m ... ecial.html).

I've got a new brushed alloy seat post coming as well as new Exage brake hoods (current ones are worn and gummy). It rides very smoothly and all it then needs is a rear hub service.

The question is, given the decent quality of the original paint, do I get it resprayed or do I just replace & restore the shabby bits? The original decals are in reasonable shape but looks like impossible to faithfully replace the 414 livery - velocals.com does't have the decals.

Can't seem to find much reference material for Miyata in general and the 414 specifically.

Anybody got any good source material on the 414?

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Wed May 18, 2016 7:33 am

ShredR wrote:I just purchased this 1990 Miyata 414 for my first restoration project.

The thing is, restoration is not urgent - it's in very good condition - the pearlescent paint is better than it deserves to be for a 26 yo bike. The Alex wheels are obviously non standard the the black seat post needs to go but it's running Shimano Exage Motion which I'm sure is original (although the 1990 Miyata Catalogue mentions Suntour Blaze 7 speed for the 414 http://www.miyatacatalogs.com/2007/12/m ... ecial.html).

I've got a new brushed alloy seat post coming as well as new Exage brake hoods (current ones are worn and gummy). It rides very smoothly and all it then needs is a rear hub service.

The question is, given the decent quality of the original paint, do I get it resprayed or do I just replace & restore the shabby bits? The original decals are in reasonable shape but looks like impossible to faithfully replace the 414 livery - velocals.com does't have the decals.

Can't seem to find much reference material for Miyata in general and the 414 specifically.

Anybody got any good source material on the 414?
I've had my 414 since new - in passion purple and gunmetal. Mine came new with 300ex from memory with biopace cranks. I upgraded it a bit to 105 components/cinelli stem and bars/mavic open SUP rims at some point in the mid 90's.

I think the original rims were Araya - gun metal colour from memory.

My paint finish is still very good and with a bit of polish it has come up really nice. The paint finish's on the Miyata I have seen have generally been very good so I'd give it a light cut and buff first to see what it comes up like. Agree its a nice smooth ride. Need to get my picture back up
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

markw2830

Miyata one ten 1980s free

Postby markw2830 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:04 pm

Free miyata 1980's 110 for anyone who may want to restore or use for parts.
I put straight bars on it years ago to use as a commuter. It is in ordinary condition. More details email mark5916@gmail.com
Avaiable for pick up from Katoomba NSW 2 hours from Sydney.

Thanks Mark