Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa
Waiting For_The Perfect_Koga Miyata

Miyata_912

Re: Miyata/Koga Miyata Appreciation Society

Postby Miyata_912 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:47 pm

love em, have a 1986 Team Miyata posted on here somewhere. Also have just about finished my rebuild of a 1988 912.

N + 1
1986 Team Miyata
1988 Miyata 912
Prototype handmade Bamboo 3 speed
1996 Kona Kilauea

Heff

Postby Heff » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:01 pm

Beautiful examples! I have followed your build thread with interest. I've loved the bikes and the history for a while, and have just dipped my toe in with an 86 Koga Miyata Pro-Triathlon. Next to zero info on that particular frame, however its the full Hardlite FM-1, frame and fork which I believe is the top of the line tubing set. looking forward to the build.

Keep em coming.
Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Miyata_912 wrote:Image
incredible, kudos on the resto.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:46 am

Very nice...

And early days on this one. Had just had it in a few days from Colorado, when I sustained a stupid injury in my own hallway, (not on a bike!). Somewhat delayed as a result. Probs with headset, so looking into that via VO, again.
Am not going for faithful resto, rather period, or modern-period stuff that I like. It had had the Shimano swapped out for the Campy. The Campy will be sold off. Pedals, Shifters, RD. So back to full Japanese, as I'll be using SunTours stuff; well except for those VO SunTour-copy pedals, which are a modern gem. (see one on already, just for own edification). Looks to have low kms.
Actually, I'm lying; I think I'll leave the Campy cranks/chainrings on... She'll be an attractive bitzer, nonetheless, IMO.
Oh, and I have to swap the brake levers over. Front was on L, Rear was on right. Could see myself going over the bars. :|
FWIW so far, a pic, plus a Gallery Link to the others on SmugMug. ---> Gallery pics
Click on each featured pic to enlarge. Esc. key to zoom back.

Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:23 pm

My first real racer was a Koga Miyata Gentsracer that I got in about 1987. Olive metallic, 600 Arabesque, very nice. Rode it lots, had it repainted at some stage, and crashed it into a car in 1992 and bent the DT a little. If I could find one that fitted me now (I was about 15 back then, and much shorter) I'd like another.

Jim

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:26 pm

familyguy wrote:My first real racer was a Koga Miyata Gentsracer that I got in about 1987. Olive metallic, 600 Arabesque, very nice. Rode it lots, had it repainted at some stage, and crashed it into a car in 1992 and bent the DT a little. If I could find one that fitted me now (I was about 15 back then, and much shorter) I'd like another.

Jim
Doesn't come much more Japanese than that. :lol: On a par with Datsun Fairlady. :?: Streets ahead of the clunky MGB of the day, but the name!?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:15 pm

Great site this one:
http://vintagekogamiyata.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine was a dead ringer for this one:
http://vintagekogamiyata.com/koga-miyat ... 79-58cm-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim

Heff

Postby Heff » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Yeah http://vintagekogamiyata.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; always has really good quality stuff. I tried to import one from them in 2012, but they weren't sending to Australia back then. Dirk Claassen is the owner, in 2013 he said they were now sending to Australia for 150 euro. I tried to get my hands on a FullPro-Aero they had advertised but then he decided to hold onto it. I pretty much gave up trying after that. You have to be quick with them, because the stock gets snapped up. Still nice eye candy though.

This is the frame I just bought,

I will probably make it a bitsa at first to get on the road, and then maybe get it close to original over time.
Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:06 pm

familyguy, that would have been a pretty classy ride for a 15 year old in '79.
And Heff, beautiful. As long as you put quality Japanese stuff on it, it can only look even better. 8)

munga

Postby munga » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:16 pm

familyguy wrote:My first real racer was a Koga Miyata Gentsracer that I got in about 1987. Olive metallic, 600 Arabesque, very nice. Rode it lots, had it repainted at some stage, and crashed it into a car in 1992 and bent the DT a little. If I could find one that fitted me now (I was about 15 back then, and much shorter) I'd like another.

Jim
i think that's the same model koga i sold to elantra last year. was dark green, and had mid-spec shimano. way to big for me, but i picked it (and an identical ladies version) for a song, and passed it on at cost.

no pics unfortunately.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:16 am

My dadicked it up for a bargain in 86, so it was a few years old, but very nice. I used to park it outside the LBS when we went down there round that time, and had some offers from customers in excess of 3 times what he paid for it.

Jim

Heff

Postby Heff » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:44 pm

family guy, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/vintage-Koga ... a1f&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

your size? ....get on it!
Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa

Minority

Postby Minority » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:28 pm

One day it will get done (1981ish ProRacer)

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56 am

Heff wrote:family guy, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/vintage-Koga ... a1f&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

your size? ....get on it!
Way too small. Gotta be 60+ for me now.

In other KM news, a brief flickr set here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/miyatatrack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which includes this beauty that was for sale on LFGSS a while back: https://flic.kr/p/9TuH8A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:37 pm

munga wrote:

Jim
i think that's the same model koga i sold to elantra last year. was dark green, and had mid-spec shimano. way to big for me, but i picked it (and an identical ladies version) for a song, and passed it on at cost.

no pics unfortunately.
Munga here is the little gem that you passed on to me more than a year ago.
She is a 24 inch "Traveller" model (1983) which is really some sort of a light tourer, complete with braze-ons and cable holes for dynamos.
Purchased new in Holland and came to Australia with its original owner AFAIK, who obviously cared for it VERY well :D

You can see decals on the chainstay, which apparently identifies the original bikeshop from which it was purchased.

For better or worse it has been modified by me and has done about 3000km since i got it from you.
Mainly these mods are taller / longer handlebar stem, shimano 6-speed indexed downtube shifters mated to Suntour Blaze RD that gives precision indexed shifting.
The original Shimano "500" centre-pull brakes are terrific good stoppers.
Interestingly the original crankset is a 122mm BCD thingo for which chainrings are almost unobtainable now, it is in storage and now runs a 130mm BCD, similar Shimano crankset.
Front wheel pictured is an Alex and not original, but is notable for its durability and light weight if not its authenticity.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:54 am

almost kinda close, then. 8)

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:09 pm

Some photos taken on Coottha this morning....
Yes i know, needs some bar tape, got some in the garage somewhere...

P.S. got my first ever Strava segment KOM this morning - on this bike !
I kid you not :shock:

munga

Postby munga » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:47 pm

i have some 122mm cranks/chainrings in the Marketplace for sale. If you're interested, let me know.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:15 pm

elantra wrote:Some photos taken on Coottha this morning....
Yes i know, needs some bar tape, got some in the garage somewhere...

P.S. got my first ever Strava segment KOM this morning - on this bike !
I kid you not :shock:
Well done elanta. If I remove my bar tape will I get a KOM too?

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:04 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:Well done elanta. If I remove my bar tape will I get a KOM too?
No, you just need to find an obscure little segment that has only ever been hit on by 20 (Strava) cyclists :)
http://www.strava.com/segments/5719533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:53 pm

elantra wrote:
Lots of steel bikes wrote:Well done elanta. If I remove my bar tape will I get a KOM too?
No, you just need to find an obscure little segment that has only ever been hit on by 20 (Strava) cyclists :)
http://www.strava.com/segments/5719533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or be in a rush to get home.
http://www.strava.com/segments/4209756" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: On a single speed MTB...

Miyata_912

Postby Miyata_912 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:12 pm

I have 4 Miyatas at the moment.

1986 Team Mitaya that is at the top of the page, 1988 912 that is just about finished, just need to run the cabels.
Then I have two 1988 Three Tens. One is about to be my sisters and the other one is soon to be a single speed.

Such nice bikes.

1986 team MIayata track bike is my all time favorite.
N + 1
1986 Team Miyata
1988 Miyata 912
Prototype handmade Bamboo 3 speed
1996 Kona Kilauea

jools

Postby jools » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi! I just picked up a Miyata 310, probably a 1985 model. It needs some work and some parts to get it ridable but it seems like a nice bike. How would this compare to an Apollo IV in the retro scale of quality? The apollo has shimano 600 arabesque compared to the newer 105 gear on the miyata, but is there much difference in the frame?

fitz

Postby fitz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:22 pm

Posted these here before....
Suntour superbe pro running gear, nitto bars and stem. I love riding this thing.

Can I have some of these?