MH Jones Bicycles Perth(?)

MHJonesRegister

Re: MH Jones Bicycles Perth(?)

Postby MHJonesRegister » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:18 pm

sandy wrote:It is actually red, though it may appear orange-ish on some monitors, the size is 63cm (24.75 inch).
It has a wheelbase of just 960mm, 9 kgs weight, not bad for that sized bike.
It was used for criterium racing mainly, the frame is not far off being a track-bike geometry.

Still got your MHJ? I have started a register and am researching and contacting more and more owners to share info and maybe do the occasional ride. I'm new to this forum so not sure how it all works but look around for stuff I've recently posted. I plan to issue acrylic tags for verifiable frames/bikes. Contact Frank West via mhjonesregister@gmail.com. Thank you!

MHJonesRegister

Re: MH Jones Bicycles Perth(?)

Postby MHJonesRegister » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 pm

redbike wrote:Sorry to be a bit slow and infrequent with visiting this forum, but getting the email that there was a new post was great, clever people out there are keeping this web site running - thank you clever people. I want to answer Richard about the origins of my MH Jones bike.

Richard, there was no shop, I went to Spike's house and into the shed. There he sat me on a jig and took measurements and asked me what kind of riding I wanted to do, that determined the frame geometry and size, and there and then we picked out the frame lugs and the other components and decided on the finish. That was it, I went back some weeks later with the balance of the payment and took the finished product home. Sadly now, I regret I didn't keep a record of payment or date of purchase. At the time the process was a bit "sensitive" in terms of family budgets and priorities. My red bike was not top of the order!
It got a little bit of paint chipped off the cross bar some weeks ago (about 6 to 8 mm dia) which is a real shame, otherwise its in very nice original condition. I have no idea yet how this can be fixed. There is a clear laquer finish over the paint which will be hard to do. The "MH Jones" decals were peeling up at the corners so I took them off a long time ago (I think now I should have left them alone), the "MHJ" decal is still on the seat tube. If I could get the original style decals I would put them on, it would improve the overall finish and effect, and show respect for Spike's skill and craftsmanship. My priority is to see if I can find someone with the skill to fix the paint that got bumped off. Andrew.

Still got your MHJ? I have started a register and am researching and contacting more and more owners to share info and maybe do the occasional ride. I'm new to this forum so not sure how it all works but look around for stuff I've recently posted. I plan to issue acrylic tags for verifiable frames/bikes. Contact Frank West via mhjonesregister@gmail.com. Thank you!

MHJonesRegister

Re:

Postby MHJonesRegister » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:26 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Richard,

Only just noticed this thread. Have you sourced any more info about the Perth builder?

There might not be any connection, or might even be his son or something - but there is a framebuilder by the name of Jones in Perth that builds under the name Jonesman in more recent years. I think he's working out of a store (which name escapes me) in the suburb of Bayswater.

I understand Tallywhacker has got a custom track frame in the pipeline with him - so I'd PM him and ask if you can get some contact information to start with.

cheers

[edit - you might want to adjust the typo in the subject header, and spell out the "M H Jones" a bit more to catch eyes that might know ;) ]

Don't know if you got one but you seem to be interested. So... FYI.... I have started a register and am researching and contacting more and more owners to share info and maybe do the occasional ride. I'm new to this forum so not sure how it all works but look around for stuff I've recently posted. I plan to issue acrylic tags for verifiable frames/bikes. Contact Frank West via mhjonesregister@gmail.com. Thank you! Just a thought, I could include non-owners so they can keep in touch and if they are interested, if someone wants to sell the recipients could get first offer.