Ladies 1930's Bike

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Ladies 1930's Bike

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:20 pm

I wasn't sure if I should post this in Bike Chic or the Retro section :)
This is a picture of my Mum in 1938 on a trip into Essex (from Paddington in West London) to visit her boyfriend (my Dad) in Woodham Walter near Chelmsford.
This is a recently discovered photo for my family and I am quite keen on re-creating the bike which had long gone after the WWII years. So any ideas you guys have on components etc on scrutenizing the photo would be appreciated.
I can supply a HighRes version if required. Keep in mind that Mum came from a working class family in Royal Oak, a working class area of Paddington near the canal) and the bike would have been the equivalent of the Commodore with wide wheels and fluffy dice in those days. However there was still not a lot of money to splash around. The fact that she owned it at all and was a 'clubgirl' capable of cycling out beyond Chelmsford on a weekend trip says a lot about her character...

Cheers
Richard
WyvernRH

by BNA » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:17 pm

BNA

Re: Ladies 1930's Bike

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:17 pm

Richard,
another project!

one woman who did a bit of riding in 1938 had a Rudge Whitworth.
The catalogue for 1939 is at ThreeSpeedHub
No 82 Sports Model might be a starting point for what could have been a good club bike of the time.

Others are the Raleigh and Sun.
Philip
ˈfiləp/ a movement made by bending the last joint of a finger against the thumb and suddenly releasing it
Clydesdale Scot

Postby scratchman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:49 am

Hi Richard
I don't claim to be any kind of expert, but to me the bike seems to be more of the Golden Arrow type of style
from the Raleigh catalogue.
It's certainly looks to be a quality bike, but I guess they all were then, no chinese rubbish.
Anyhow I'm sure those better qualified will chime in.
Pity there was no side view to get a better idea.
Looks like your mum did a bit of cycling, great pic thanks for sharing
Cheers, Phil
Phil
scratchman

Postby landyacht » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:46 pm

if you cant find a ridable period bike you could always start with a 70's 27" convert to 700x38and build a bike from there. things didnt really change much from the 30's till the mid 80's
landyacht

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:30 am

landyacht wrote:if you cant find a ridable period bike you could always start with a 70's 27" convert to 700x38and build a bike from there. things didnt really change much from the 30's till the mid 80's

Yes, something like this is going to be the plan I think. Get a reasonable quality 70's - 90's ladies frame, de-braze any non-period looking braze-ons, braze on a Cyclo gear hanger to the R/H rear stay and re-wheel with...well possibly 26x1 1/4 if I can get them but it will probably be 26x1 3/8 steel rims with steel hubs and a 3-speed freewheel. Then fit out with period looking bars, saddle etc. Not too hard now the retro theme seem to have taken hold.

Richard
WyvernRH

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:03 am

bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Return to Retro biking