Period groupset or buy cheap bike for components??

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Period groupset or buy cheap bike for components??

Postby dillyboy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi All,

Not sure if this should be in the shed or retro section but here goes.

I have an early 90's Apollo Eclipse that I love but am looking at upgrading to "better" components. Mainly due to it being hilly where I live so wanting a few more gears & being able to shift form the bars.

Would I be best searching here & garage sales to fine some period brifters & or components or just bite the bullet & buy a cheap roadie (ie this from Reid: http://www.reidcycles.com.au/aquila-sti-road-bike.html ) and strip it for all it's components?

My main issue is will these be any better than the components I have (bike currently 12 speed and has Shimano lightaction RD, dia-compe brakes and aleesa wheels) - will the 14 speed tourney gear be an improvement and/or worth the dollars??

Alternatively does anyone have a cheap STI groupset available to give me a better bang for buck upgrade?
Don't ask to ride my bike & I won't ask to shag your missus....
dillyboy

by BNA » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:29 pm

BNA

Re: Period groupset or buy cheap bike for components??

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:29 pm

If you have Facebook get onto the Bicycle Market page, i got a set of 9 speed 105 STI shifters for $20 and complete groupsets are available cheaply all the time.. Otherwise i'd just keep an eye on ebay and wait for a good buy to come up.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby dillyboy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Thanks - just found a "Bicycle Market" and "Bicycle Market Brisbane" page but both are closed groups & I don't know how to join (may just be the capacity on the app on my phone though so will check on the PC when I get home from work).
Don't ask to ride my bike & I won't ask to shag your missus....
dillyboy

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:48 pm

The two main reasons to upbuild the Apollo would be it's sentimental value and upskilling your workshop skills. Best value would be to scour and find a complete bike (second hand) and cannibalise it. Most enjoyment would be assembling a groupset by searching. I unloaded an early 1980s Shimano 600 set (complete with bar end shifters) and I thought the guy who bought them was mad. Alas no, they shined up beautifully and are probably still kicking on. The $80 I got form them went long ago.
Ha ha! Cookies on dowels.
ValleyForge

Return to Retro biking