just picked up a Falcon?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

just picked up a Falcon?

Postby paulos » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:17 pm

I just picked this bike up with a view to reliving my youth, (although the black 10 speed I had back then was a cheap steel framed, steel wheeled, foam-hand-gripped thing), and I wasn't expecting much when I went to get it, but from my limited knowledge based on what I've read on here, it seems to have some decent bits on it. Suntour derailers which work perfectly, some sort of Italian handlebars, a suede seat which is unfortunately damaged, and alloy rims. Not too mention a decent looking frame.

I'm going to tidy it up a bit, don't know about painting it, put new brake cables, pads, tyres, etc. I was after some feedback on the boots that go around the brake levers, grip tape, and a new seat possibly. Basically i'm after a bit of advice on aesthetics. I'm new to fixing up bicycles and i'd like it to look "right"

Thanks in advance.

p.s. any info on the bike itself would be great.

paulos

by BNA » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:37 pm

BNA

Re: just picked up a Falcon?

Postby munga » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:37 pm

so you need some new rubber 'brake hoods' for your levers.
what brand are the brake levers? ebay might be the best place to start looking.
same with the handlebar tape. some faux-leather stuff would be the correct period. you can get black, white, tan, and every colour in between. Ambrosio bar tape is nice, and good value.

a reynolds 501 frame is decent - falcon made mostly mid-range and better frames. yours is entry/mid-level. certainly a keeper if it's your size.

as for aesthetics, keep the original paint if you can. finding the correct decals might be a challenge, and a cheap paintjob turns a half-decent bike into another random clunker.

are the wheels 27" or 700c?
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby rkelsen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:42 pm

Nice one!

+1 for keeping original paint, but I'd put some new Tektro aero levers on it with dual pivot brake calipers of some type.
rkelsen

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Looks like a good solid project base. Not too cheap & nasty on the other hand nothing too delicate from the top shelf to regret anything by way damage or cross pedigree. :D

I'd just start by carefully stripping it all back and cleaning the various parts, reading and researching as you go. What you replace will and can be dictated by a number of factors besides wanton opinions on here ;)

Depending on how thorough you want to be, how worn things are as it's found, or merely how much coin you want to throw at it you could quite easily get away with with just replacing a few basic consumables like tyres, brake pads and cables... maybe even just one or two of those.

I wouldn't go putting a new chain on it without assessing relative wear of the existing ring/cassette/chain combo. Clean it up and ride as is. I'd only start worrying about that if the drive train slips in any particular gear.

Nb: gear slipping is where the chain seems to suddenly lurch over a tooth, but otherwise stay in that gear selection.
Gear skipping, or involuntary shifting (most often from low to high; bigger sprocket to small at the back) is indicative of seperate issues.
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby paulos » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks for all the info guys. I cleaned a little of the grime off the bike this morning to see what was under there. It has 3ttt handlebars with drilled black anodised Galli brake levers. The front wheel looks to be the original Weinmann as are the brake calipers. The wheels are both 27"

I couldn't find any brake lever covers online, I might take them into the local bike shop and see what they have.

Any recommendations on a suitable looking set of tyres?

Cheers
paulos

Postby yugyug » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:26 pm

I'm building up an 80s 501 frame at the moment and I'm curious if you can tell me what you seat post diameter is. Mine's 26.8mm wondering if thats standard across all 501 seat tubes.

If its of interest, I'm using veloflex masters for tyres, but they are for 700c not 27inch.
yugyug

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:29 pm

You can get replacement brake hoods from e-Bay. Cane Creek make top quality ones in black or tan or there are other cheaper options like
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OLD-SCHOOL-BRAKE-HOODS-BLACK-RUBBER-BRAKE-HOODS-VINTAGE-BRAKE-HOODS-/301293389018?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Parts&hash=item46267c44da

You have a nice bike there from about halfway down the Falcon range, a full 501 frame is not bad at all, enjoy!

Richard
WyvernRH

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:39 pm

paulos wrote:Any recommendations on a suitable looking set of tyres?

I use 27 x 1 1/4" Panaracer Paselas from Amazon, because I needed the wire beaded version.
Philip
if you don't want me to see your posts, PM me and I will happily put you on my Foes list
Clydesdale Scot

Postby mxmort » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Can't help much with the bike as i'm a novice

But what i can see is that u have been doing some short circuit and on a 2 stroke (nice)
mxmort

Postby paulos » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:07 pm

yugyug wrote:I'm building up an 80s 501 frame at the moment and I'm curious if you can tell me what you seat post diameter is. Mine's 26.8mm wondering if thats standard across all 501 seat tubes.

G'day mate, this one measures 26.8 as well if that helps?

I don't know about the pole but I've discovered the seat is a Cinelli Volare. Looks like it was brown suede at some stage.

Thanks for all the info so far. I've found a set of those Cane Creek lever hoods. At $27 delivered they were more expensive than the bike :D

Not sure on white or black grip tape. The frame is metallic grey. Might have to consult with her indoors.

mxmort wrote:i can see is that u have been doing some short circuit and on a 2 stroke (nice)

You're nearly there. That's a pseudo-trials tyre on my GasGas enduro bike, but where i ride can be quite technical so its actually a hill-climbing aid. Best tyre i've used!
paulos

Postby paulos » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:04 pm

Nothing too exciting, new tyres/tubes. Some dia compe aero levers and nice new bar tape. Don't know what to do about the seat, can you recover them?

paulos

Postby rollin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:02 am

Yep suede seats are Easy to recover, looking good so far
rollin

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:23 am

paulos wrote: Don't know what to do about the seat, can you recover them?

one of the many threads
Philip
if you don't want me to see your posts, PM me and I will happily put you on my Foes list
Clydesdale Scot

Postby diventare » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:57 am

Nice Falcon, good luck with the tidy up it will be nice once it's done.

Also interesting old YZ125c (is it?) plus trials uni on the modern .. an interest in dirt track?
diventare

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:53 am

paulos wrote:Nothing too exciting, new tyres/tubes. Some dia compe aero levers and nice new bar tape. Don't know what to do about the seat, can you recover them?

Very nice, that's all it needed really. You might find it cheaper to buy a new saddle rather than re-cover the old one. Some good buys available on e-Bay, or, if you are not into doing big distances, a saddle cover.

Richard
WyvernRH

Return to Retro biking