Replacement Stronglight 49D Dust Caps

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Replacement Stronglight 49D Dust Caps

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Just a quick heads up. I'm sure many out there are like me and have found themselves with chainsets that lack the dustcaps. Not a problem if they are the standard size but a big problem if the chainset is an old Stronglight or TA which have larger sized ' holes' in the crank. NOS or reasonable condition replacements are very pricy. Fortunately someone hetre is Oz has come up with a solution for the Stronglight 49D at least. Bespoke Chainrings in Victoria are making replacements. I bought a set to try out (having been disappointed in repro dustcaps before) and I can say they fit perfectly. Depending on the washer you have behind the bolt in the crank they may screw in a little beyond flush but it is hardly noticable. Not 'chep' at $15.00 + p&p but much cheaper than NOS on e-bay!
http://bespokechainrings.com/products/stronglight-dust-caps-23-35mm

Richard

PS, no association with the seller except I own some of his chainrings.
WyvernRH

by BNA » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:19 am

BNA

Re: Replacement Stronglight 49D Dust Caps

Postby redrover3 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:19 am

I was seriously looking at these a couple of weeks ago when it looked like I would have to destroy my originals. Persevered with the tapping, squirting and turning until I eventually got them out. Nice product for reasonable money though. Haven't seen any nice aftermarket ones for standard size holes anywhere though.
Tony
redrover3

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:03 am

redrover3 wrote: Haven't seen any nice aftermarket ones for standard size holes anywhere though.

could these be suitable?
Link is to store rather than ephemeral listing page
Philip
if you don't want me to see your posts, PM me and I will happily put you on my Foes list
Clydesdale Scot

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:34 am

Wow they must have one exceptionally efficient setup to be able to sell them that cheaply, bargain.

And thanks for that link Clydesdale Scot, they have replacement BB oiler caps! :D
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Return to Retro biking