Replacement Stronglight 49D Dust Caps

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Replacement Stronglight 49D Dust Caps

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Just a quick heads up. I'm sure many out there are like me and have found themselves with chainsets that lack the dustcaps. Not a problem if they are the standard size but a big problem if the chainset is an old Stronglight or TA which have larger sized ' holes' in the crank. NOS or reasonable condition replacements are very pricy. Fortunately someone hetre is Oz has come up with a solution for the Stronglight 49D at least. Bespoke Chainrings in Victoria are making replacements. I bought a set to try out (having been disappointed in repro dustcaps before) and I can say they fit perfectly. Depending on the washer you have behind the bolt in the crank they may screw in a little beyond flush but it is hardly noticable. Not 'chep' at $15.00 + p&p but much cheaper than NOS on e-bay!
http://bespokechainrings.com/products/stronglight-dust-caps-23-35mm

Richard

PS, no association with the seller except I own some of his chainrings.
WyvernRH

by BNA » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:19 am

BNA

Re: Replacement Stronglight 49D Dust Caps

Postby redrover3 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:19 am

I was seriously looking at these a couple of weeks ago when it looked like I would have to destroy my originals. Persevered with the tapping, squirting and turning until I eventually got them out. Nice product for reasonable money though. Haven't seen any nice aftermarket ones for standard size holes anywhere though.
Tony
redrover3

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:03 am

redrover3 wrote: Haven't seen any nice aftermarket ones for standard size holes anywhere though.

could these be suitable?
Link is to store rather than ephemeral listing page
Clydesdale Scot

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:34 am

Wow they must have one exceptionally efficient setup to be able to sell them that cheaply, bargain.

And thanks for that link Clydesdale Scot, they have replacement BB oiler caps! :D
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Return to Retro biking