Unknown frame.. now Wyvern,,,

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Unknown frame.. now Wyvern,,,

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:40 pm

I acquired this frame a while back and put it aside for when I could find another competent painter in the Hunter. As it so happened a friend who restores Tiger Moths for a living is convalescing at the moment, wanted a project and offered to paint this frame having been much taken with it when visiting the shed. Well, the offer was taken up faster than a very fast thing and the frame whisked off to his workshop. It returned recently and the paint job was magnificent. Apparently the same paint as used on Tiger Moth engines... Now I had no idea who built this frame it being almost totally bereft of any identifying marks so in the end I decided to go for the old 'Restored By' trick and put my transfers on it. I ran out of seat logos years ago so I used an old, old generic decal with some scrolls I made up.

I have fitted it out as a fixed wheel as I happened to have a set of Harden fixed hub road wheels spare in the shed and used up some old 50's Oz and French parts I had in the shed to make it into a mid-50's style fixed road bike. Rides very nicely and despite the steel stem, bars and seatpost weighs remarkably little. One day I might resurrect the original idea of fitting a 3-speed Cyclo (about 110mm dropout width) but for the moment I am enjoying riding it fixed with no cables or clamps marring the lines of the frame. Philips Honking Rubbers give a great period touch and finished off the brake lever and rest perfectly - highly recommended!

As it was:
As it is Now
'Restored By' decals - the old generic showing it's age in close up

Richard
WyvernRH

by BNA » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:11 pm

BNA

Re: Unknown frame.. now Wyvern,,,

Postby L'iota » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Richard
Great looking bike! Is that a 'Gloria' brake lever? I won a set of Gloria brakes once but later I gave them away, regrettably as they are now quite rare. Also I love the red 'Rocket' outrigger ( stem ), I think my 1956 Speedwell 'Flash' came with one.
Regards
Winston (L'iota)
L'iota

Postby Torana68 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:30 am

excellent outcome. :!:
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"
Torana68

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:37 pm

a very nice result, and an equally impressive spare parts bin!
Philip
ˈfiləp/ a movement made by bending the last joint of a finger against the thumb and suddenly releasing it
Clydesdale Scot

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:20 pm

As always, I like your work. I particularly like the "restored by" decals - tells the story & isn't going to cause confusion sometime down the track when someone is trying to research the Wyvern brand from the 50s.
find_bruce

Postby Typhoon Ken » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Very nice Richard, I would say classy not flashy. Good work.
Typhoon Ken

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Nice work, very 'you' :) .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:10 pm

Indeed, Winston you are correct. The brake lever is a 'Gloria' lever, a singleton I picked up at one of the Dulwich events. You are also on the money with the stem, it came off of a Speedwell Flash I tried to restore but the frame was to far gone to ride so it now hangs on the shed wall.
Cheers
Richard
WyvernRH

Return to Retro biking