Restoration of my 1989 Pulteney St Cycles Elan

10speedsemiracer

Re: Restoration of my 1989 Pulteney St Cycles Elan

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:16 am

All that text and no piccies. ... only joking but also can't wait for photos. Be nice to see some sexy SunTour out on the streets. Good stuff 8track.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

8Track

Postby 8Track » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:40 am

Time for the pictures:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:43 am

Now that is a sweet ride

8Track

Postby 8Track » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:28 am

Some of you may be wondering about the battle scars on the frame and why I've left them there. Well, to fix them properly would require a strip and repaint. I thought long and hard about this and decided that because the original paintjob was a one of a kind, it made sense to keep it original rather than try to reproduce it.
I also like the idea that there is a little bit of age patina. It speaks to the age of the bike and shows that it's an honest bike which has survived well through the years.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:53 am

Love it...

Mmm, SunTour

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:52 am

8Track wrote:I thought long and hard about this and decided that because the original paintjob was a one of a kind, it made sense to keep it original rather than try to reproduce it.
Amen.

Great looking bike, you must be stoked!

The valve caps and washer nuts can be chucked in the bin, they don't do anything.

The ferrule that abuts the cable guide on your chainstay should be a stepped ferrule, like this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/x2-Stepped- ... 2169401243

The narrow end should fit inside the cable guide to eliminate any kink in the cable as it travels to the RD. Ideally you'll go to a bike shop that has been in existence since the landing of the first fleet and rifle through a drawer full of spare parts to find the one that fits.

Hey Bikes

Postby Hey Bikes » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Another (slightly old fashioned) solutionis a drop-bolt.

Cheers,

Cameron

great idea this is. i really like simple fixes for stupid problems

Hey Bikes

Postby Hey Bikes » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:09 pm

8Track wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:Another (slightly old fashioned) solutionis a drop-bolt.

Cheers,

Cameron
DING DING DING! I think we have a winner! This looks like the most elegant solution to my problem with the brakes. I'll definitely be grabbing one of these so I can fit those beautiful GPX calipers.

I'm really pleased to announce the build is finished. Pete, of Hey Bikes has completed the work and I took delivery this afternoon. I can't say how stoked I am with the finished result. The bike looks pretty much like the day I bought it, only better, and the attention to detail is superb.

Pete has done an awesome job with the wheels. They've been rebuilt with stainless spokes using the GPX hubs. They roll so wonderfully and there isn't any observable run-out at all. And the Schwalbe gumwalls look perfect for the era!

Little touches really stand out. For example the cable sheaths were originally clear, and Pete has sourced some new sheaths that are also clear. However, he's gone one step beyond and used Schwalbe inner tubes because they have clear valve caps which match the aesthetic of the cables. It might not sound like much, but little things like that really set the bike off.

Pete worked hard on my old Christophe toeclips. All the rust has been removed and they now present wonderfully. They fitted the GPX pedals perfectly and he's also fitted new white leathers.

The Selle Italia white handle bar tape matches the white Selle Italia Turbo seat perfectly with its black finishing tape and endcaps complimenting the black Turbo logo on the seat.

The GPX groupset looks wicked on this bike. The blue/grey colour really contrasts with the mint green of the frame. I can't wait to remove the Blaze calipers, grab a dropbolt and get those GPX ones on board to complete the look.

Finally the decals from Cyclemondo went on without a hitch and again look superb on the frame!

I'm so happy! I feel like I've gone back in time to 1989 when I first purchased the bike new! Its just stunning and I can't stop admiring it!

So a massive thanks to the guys on this forum who've assisted with recommendations and parts for the build, and a huge thanks to Pete at Hey Bikes for turning my dreams into reality.

Now the bike's age has been turned back 29 years, I need to do the same with my body! This bike is all the motivation I need. Hoping to turn cycling into a regular activity and lose 20kgs over the next 2 years.

Photos to come tomorrow!
Cheers for the kind words. Also it was a pleasure working on your bike

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:11 pm

It's like...restoring a Datusn 120Y to it's initial factory-spec 'glory'. In a good way. I can dig it. I haven't seen hoods that clean since I watched BlacKkKlansman last week.

Can you get those tan Lugano in 27"?

Jim

Hey Bikes

Postby Hey Bikes » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:14 pm

Yeah i don't have any of those stepped ferrules. but i will be getting some. i do like doing restos so i will have to expand my old odd sod bits and pieces.

Enough about me though.

@8track love you the decals. you have done them proud. and im glad you opted for the top tube placement for the smaller decals. looks beautiful

Hey Bikes

Postby Hey Bikes » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:10 pm

from memory schwalbe dont do 27" but brands like Serfas and Duro do tan walls.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:13 pm

Great job

8Track

Postby 8Track » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks Scott! Appreciate your continued interest.

I laughed when I saw the Datsun 120Y comment from Familyguy. I know my bike isn't the two wheeled version of a Ferrari, but i reckon its at least a Datsun 240Z!

I just weighed the bike..... 8.9kg

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Hey Bikes wrote:from memory schwalbe dont do 27" but brands like Serfas and Duro do tan walls.
I think they do
Schwalbe Tyre HS159 Gumwall 27 x 1-1/4

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:15 pm

Also Panaracer Pasela

adsjax

Postby adsjax » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:51 pm

Something to think about with the brake drop bolts. I have never used them so don't know from experience but it looks like you need to completely remove the center pivot bolt in the calipers you have and replace it with the drop bolt. Is your bolt removable? as i think some aren't. And you may need to make sure the drop bolt is the same diameter and thread as what is there.
I may be wrong as i am learning myself but have worked through the same problem recently. (I ended up buying Tektro R539's)

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:44 pm

240Z, much better analogy!

8Track

Postby 8Track » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:27 pm

She's out in the wild. The ride is fantastic! Absolutely loving it. Oh and I've lost 2 kgs in 2 weeks. Thats 10% of my target already!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:54 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Also Panaracer Pasela
+1 but if anyone sees any in the wild in .au. please PM me (I'm currently buying them ex-.de)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

uart

Postby uart » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:54 am

8Track wrote:She's out in the wild. The ride is fantastic! Absolutely loving it. Oh and I've lost 2 kgs in 2 weeks. Thats 10% of my target already!

That looks absolutely beautiful 8Track. Just one question though, how did you get a Tange #5 bike, in a nice large frame size, down to 8.9 kg with period components (I mean without carbon wheels etc).

There must be some very light components there somewhere. For comparison, I've restored a few bikes with Tange 900 (which is about the same or a bit lighter than #5) and with reasonably light period components and wheels I'm usually at about 10.3 kg.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:47 am

Interesting question. I've also just finished a Tange 900 although a restomod, and ended up with 10.4kg

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:53 pm

It's doable J P Weigle go to 9.07 kg including fenders, lights and a (little rack) on this one.
(image from Jan Heine)

But it's unusual and usually requires a fair bit of attention to detail (and time on weight weenies picking parts). Here's a sub-UCI limit zero-carbon complete bike (with Al frame but still 1/2lb under so possible in steel ) More discussion from Velouria

uart

Postby uart » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Thoglette wrote:It's doable J P Weigle go to 9.07 kg including fenders, lights and a (little rack) on this one.
Yes buts that's not a lugged tange #5 frame with period components is it. I can't quite tell at that resolution, but it looks like Reynolds 853 with modern components. Nice bike though. :D

We all know that 9kg is doable on a steel bike.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:39 pm

uart wrote:Yes buts that's not a lugged tange #5 frame with period components is it.
Agreed - wasn't #5 a straight walled tube? [edit - yes it was ]

For those interested there's a whole thread on frame/fork weights including this post with weights of then-current tubesets (uncut)

8Track

Postby 8Track » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:16 pm

uart wrote:
8Track wrote:She's out in the wild. The ride is fantastic! Absolutely loving it. Oh and I've lost 2 kgs in 2 weeks. Thats 10% of my target already!

That looks absolutely beautiful 8Track. Just one question though, how did you get a Tange #5 bike, in a nice large frame size, down to 8.9 kg with period components (I mean without carbon wheels etc).

There must be some very light components there somewhere. For comparison, I've restored a few bikes with Tange 900 (which is about the same or a bit lighter than #5) and with reasonably light period components and wheels I'm usually at about 10.3 kg.
No Idea mate! I just stuck the back wheel on a set of bathroom scales,held the bike stable in a vertical position and that's the number I got!