Restoring a Beretto, need some help

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Restoring a Beretto, need some help

Postby retro rider » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi, just registered onto the forum and this is my first post. A couple of years ago I was walking down to pick up some takeaway and came home with a Beretto racer that was out on the footpath during a road side clean up. I have repainted it and got it back on the road and love riding it.

To complete the resto I am chasing some decals for it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do?
Also unfortunately the rear wheel had been replaced, the front is the original Wolber and would love to find a matching rear.

The gum boots on the brake levers are very weathered and would like to replace those also.

Are there any bike shops that might still stock some old stuff? From the lary colour scheme (it was white with red, yellow, green and blue over sprays) so am assuming it was made early 1980's. It has chrome forks and rear triangle.

Entered in a 45 km bike ride around the river in Brisbane back in April and got a real thrill in passing all these people riding their new big dollar carbon fibre/alloy framed bikes.

Finally, I think I need to wear some retro clothing to suit, so any ideas for that would be appreciated.
Have entered in the Brisbane to Gold Coast Challenge coming up in October so want to have the whole look completed for that.

Best go now and do some training so I can make sure I will be laughing at all those cyclists, as I'm passing them, who laughed at me at the start line. :lol:
retro rider

by BNA » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:52 pm

BNA

Re: Restoring a Beretto, need some help

Postby il padrone » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:52 pm

retro rider wrote:Hi, just registered onto the forum and this is my first post. A couple of years ago I was walking down to pick up some takeaway and came home with a Beretto racer that was out on the footpath during a road side clean up. I have repainted it and got it back on the road and love riding it.

Hi there. Cool to meet you.

retro rider wrote:Also unfortunately the rear wheel had been replaced, the front is the original Wolber and would love to find a matching rear.

Retro rims are gonna be a hard one for you.Most get buckled, worn by brakes and tossed out. And buying online from o/seas is not an option as freight is a killer with rims.

retro rider wrote:The gum boots on the brake levers are very weathered and would like to replace those also.

Several gum hoods at Loose Screws

retro rider wrote:Are there any bike shops that might still stock some old stuff?

Some, like Bicycle Recycle in Moorabin, Melbourne. Don't know about Brisbane.

retro rider wrote:Finally, I think I need to wear some retro clothing to suit, so any ideas for that would be appreciated.

Here's some retro Euro road jerseys - not cheap, but very nice. I have one, mmm merino 8)

And a retro helmet to go with it :lol: [/quote]
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby rogerrabbit » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:46 am

Hi,

I think I have a couple of Wolber 27" narrow clincher rims in the shed (36 hole). I am away this week but I will check when I get back.

Cheers
Roger
rogerrabbit

Postby LittleWheelsandBig » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:53 am

Brett runs the bike mechanic TAFE course in Brisbane. You may be able to get decals from him. Try older shops like Hoffys for NOS rims.
LittleWheelsandBig

Postby MountGower » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:21 am

RR

I'll phone Brett and seek his permission to PM you his number. Check your in box tonight after dinner.
MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:47 pm

MountGower

I'm impressed

Postby retro rider » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:51 pm

Gee thanks for the response. So where is Hoffys bike shop?

Thanks for the link to the retro clothing. Hmm more money, gotta have a Cinzano jersey, then there's the matching knicks, socks ohhh.

Oh yes and I have spelling troubles, there is two R's in Berretto. I admit I was having some trouble on Google :oops:
retro rider

Postby MountGower » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:56 am

Hoffy Cycles is at Sandgate. They do not make bikes any more.

Brett Richardson had a shop on one of the main drags on the north side which closed around 1995 called Berretto Bikes or Cycles.
MountGower

Postby LittleWheelsandBig » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:32 pm

He sold the shop, now Action Bicycles at Chermside.
LittleWheelsandBig

Postby Lark2004 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:48 pm

A good source of retro gear is Ridgeways Cycles at Everton Park.
He's in the little shopping centre at the top of the hill on Stafford Road, just past the highschool.
Andrew
Lark2004

Return to Retro biking