Clamont Appreciation Soceity

busted_stuff

Clamont Appreciation Soceity

Postby busted_stuff » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:30 pm

A Clamont thread to pool all our knowledge on these bikes...

Please post your Clamont bikes, and especially any info on their derivation and original construction and components. Geof Scott bikes are of particular interest, of course, but so are the rebadged Japanese bikes (eg. Miyata).

Here's a few links to some in other threads:
This nice rebuild (but which model is it?)
A Clamont 1500

And here is a Clamont One Thousand I have, which came specced with Shimano 6207 (Sorry for average pic). I've been trying to trace the frame, and it seems it's a good bet that it's a 1984 Miyata 912 (See p8 of the catalogue here):

Looking forward to seeing what you've got...

toolonglegs

Re: Clamont Appreciation Soceity

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:09 pm

Here's mine. I haven't really touched it since I bought it back from Oz. Basically I need a big vice to start work on getting the seat post and stem out ... both seized very solidly!.
I have a near new DuraAce AX group to go on it... hoping to maybe get a guiding gig at L'Eroica this year so may get my arse into gear. WAY too cold in the cellar at the moment to touch any bike!.

busted_stuff

Postby busted_stuff » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:32 am

Nice paint job on the Professional (I think I saw you posted this in another thread). What year is that?

Good luck with it.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:03 am

toolonglegs wrote:Here's mine. I haven't really touched it since I bought it back from Oz. Basically I need a big vice to start work on getting the seat post and stem out ... both seized very solidly!.
I have a near new DuraAce AX group to go on it... hoping to maybe get a guiding gig at L'Eroica this year so may get my arse into gear. WAY too cold in the cellar at the moment to touch any bike!.
Was doing a bit of research recently on removing stuck bolts (not really research, just what counts for research these days Googling it :D ). And i saw quite a lot of posts that talked about a mix of 50:50 acetone and transmission fluid as being the ducks guts for getting seized bits apart. Better than most of the stuff you can buy in a can.

HLC

Postby HLC » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:20 pm

My Old Clamont - actually Gefsco. Was a team bike somewhere between the 84 models (with fork crown mounted bars) and the 88 triple triangle models. Has ace in the BB and I got the decals from Geoff.

Then there was that time i took it to Dunc Gray Velodrome.

Then my new Clamont, built by Geoff in November/December 2014 :)

More pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/44093552@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:28 am

Then my new Clamont, built by Geoff in November/December 2014 :)

More pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/44093552@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

Thats gorgeous, love the rear dropout/seatstay detail 8). Is it special order or is Geoff back producing a few frames ?

HLC

Postby HLC » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:15 am

Geoff is back producing frames again. All sold out of Clarence Street Cyclery in Sydney. This one was a special order though to my dimensions and spec :)

busted_stuff

Postby busted_stuff » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:15 am

HLC, that's brilliant (and the old one is crazy and cool).

What steel on the new one?

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:01 pm

old steel Bikes

Postby old steel Bikes » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:24 pm

Here are 3 Geoff Scott bikes for you may be interested in. Only the white frame is not original paint but I am the second owner and know the original owner. It was red with white lining when new has some unusual front lugs work on it.

Bike 1 Professional running Campagnolo Chorus is being rebuilt but I have all he original group set really only needs painting

Bike2 Professional running Shimano 105 and 600 it should be all 105 and searching for the parts now.

Bike 3 not shore of model running Campagnolo Triomphe when purchased was running Shimano 600 but converted. This frame has some unusually decals

[Image

old steel Bikes

Postby old steel Bikes » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:40 pm

Just looking through some photos and came across these photo of the white bike posted early in its original paint. the first photo was taken 18-8-88 at the NSW State Titles held in Canberra, the second was the start of a handicap race in country NSW this is the scratch bunch. This was the last season it was raced. The original decal where removed before painting white so will have them remained as part of this restoration

On this photo of the decal you can see some of the red paint. You can be lucky

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:39 pm

Geoff's on Facebook, and you can often catch him for a chat on the "Retro Classic Cycles" group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VeloPaint

Postby VeloPaint » Mon May 25, 2015 1:23 pm

Hopefully I'm not stealing Seddos thunder here....but his Gefsco has come out super nice:

https://velopaint.wordpress.com/portfol ... ue-gefsco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seddo

Postby seddo » Mon May 25, 2015 5:22 pm

VeloPaint wrote:Hopefully I'm not stealing Seddos thunder here....but his Gefsco has come out super nice:

https://velopaint.wordpress.com/portfol ... ue-gefsco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No not at all spread the word

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:56 pm

Had this page saved in favourites, sorting out the good from the useless, thought I'd share.

http://veloaficionado.com/bobs-columbus ... 1-clamont/
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

paulg1

Postby paulg1 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:42 am

Hi every one. Does any know about a Clamont two thousand touring bike? It has a triple butted Cr-mo frame. Any info if the fork is also cr-mo. There is no stickers on the fork.
Thank you all.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:03 pm

Clamont made a tiny bit of progress yesterday ... New wheels!. dura ace hubs ( modern but retro enough for me ) with FIR ST120 rims... Know nothing about the rims?. Tubular.
This will be about the seatpost height so will need something like a Thomson.
Aim is 9 speed drive chain, maybe not with a 7400 cranks in the pick. Dura Ace or Ultegra 9 speed with 9 speed down tube shifters only.
Slow process on this one!

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:40 pm

Nice!

Since posting above, I sold my Geoff Scott lo-pro, and have had him build me a new track bike. It was on Cycle Exif a couple of weeks ago!

Boz

Postby Boz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:55 pm

Hey guys and girls I recently picked up a Clamont Six Twelve in good general condition (a little surface rust) and was just wondering if anyone had any info on this model and any restoration tips? Thanks in advance!

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:29 pm

Boz wrote:Hey guys and girls I recently picked up a Clamont Six Twelve in good general condition (a little surface rust) and was just wondering if anyone had any info on this model and any restoration tips? Thanks in advance!
A good tip would be to take it to Geoff himself and get him to restore it. He is still restoring and building bikes out of his home in Camden. His memory is amazing and he will probably be able to tell you when he made it and for who. Geoff is on facebook.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:17 pm

That's just a restickered Miyata Six Twelve. Not built by Geoff.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:52 pm

Thought it was amusing that an old thread gets revived by a new post seeking info on something, and then we see this on Gumtree :

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/chippen ... 1176476296
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

filippimini

Postby filippimini » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:49 pm

I just purchased this bike really cheaply with the intention to fix it up a little cosmetically and make it functional.
I like the look of these, but can't see myself riding it too much as I have a modern roady, mtb and hybrid that are in regular rotation.
I'm really only doing this to see if I like restoring bikes, as I have previously restored classic cars.

The few things I know about this bike are:
- It's a Clamont
- It was purchased from Clarance St Cyclery in the early 90's
- It has a shimano 105 groupset including hubs
- The gears and brakes are still functioning

What I'm thinking:
- Polish all surfaces, but not repaint.
- Replace tyres, bar tape and saddle
- Clean, and adjust mechanicals

Things I don't know:
- What series 105 it is.
- How to fix the gummy hoods which appear to have been white.
- The best place to start restoring this thing
- What its worth
- Would it have had any decals on it.

I'd love some advice.
Cheers
Ryan

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:22 pm

filippimini wrote:The few things I know about this bike are:
- It's a Clamont
- It was purchased from Clarance St Cyclery in the early 90's
- It has a shimano 105 groupset including hubs
- The gears and brakes are still functioning
Things I don't know:
- What series 105 it is.
- How to fix the gummy hoods which appear to have been white.
- The best place to start restoring this thing
- What its worth
- Would it have had any decals on it.
Hi Ryan, the 105 groupset looks to be 1050 - ie 2nd generation 105 (after golden arrow), would suggests more likely late 80s. I think the 1050 aero levers are the same design as 1055 which are still in production, but given the non-group designation of BL-R400. These days I have only seen the hoods in black.

Clamonts came in 2 varieties (1) generic mass produced frames & (2) custom frames made by Geoff Scott. 105 suggests mass produced & it looks like that to me. Decals would be limited to simple clamont stickers on the downtube. Nothing wrong with it, but unless you can sell coal to Newcastle, don't expect to get more than $100-$200 for it. In turn this dictates the restoration approach of strip it down to get everything clean & working but don't spend much on it
Anything you can do, I can do slower

filippimini

Postby filippimini » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:15 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

If it helps narrowing down the groupset model, the levers have BL-L331 stamped on them.

The rest off what you say is as I expected. I won’t need to spend much on it to learn the basics and come up with a nice looking and functioning bike.

As it’s not a collectable I don’t mind changing it up a little as well.

Regards
Ryan