Help needed dating my Malvern Star

Hagrid

Help needed dating my Malvern Star

Postby Hagrid » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am hoping someone could help me date this bike. I am a newbie when it comes to bike restoring/preserving and have just purchased a 2 star Malvern Star ladies step through. It was sold to me as a 1940s model but I am not so sure. The serial number is 8M, 10828. The decal on the seat stem says "Bruce Small" nothing else. The other decals read "Malvern Star" Here is the ebay link which has lots of photos View item
More photos can be viewed on my photobucket http://s284.photobucket.com/user/Hagrid16/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks,
Hagrid

Clydesdale Scot

Re: Help needed dating my Malvern Star

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:29 pm

firstly welcome to the Retro side of the BNA forum.
There is a thread with deals with Malvern Star serial numbers. It grew from its original mission to document the very early ones.
It is Pre 1930 Malvern Star serial numbers

In the 1940s the serial number was the year/place of manufacture and the build number.
So the 8 represents 1948, and the M represents Melbourne build. So I believe it was accurately described in the listing.

It is also in very good condition.
You should have it looked at to make sure that the tyres and tubes are still usable, and it would be useful to service the bottom bracket, wheel bearings and replace the cotter pins (which are missing the nuts).
Were you wanting to reinstall the skirt net?

Hagrid

Postby Hagrid » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:56 pm

Thanks Philip for the information and also the link for the skirt net. Yes, I do want to reinstate that. If this is a 1948 bicycle I am very happy with it. The condition is very good for that age. Is the Bruce Small decal common on the seat post, do you know? The other Malvern Stars I have seen don't have that decal.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:56 pm

the seat tube decals are different to those advertised in 1948. Here are two examples from 21 Feb 1948 and 3 April 1948. From mid year the New Look design came onto the scene
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hagrid

Postby Hagrid » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks Philip. The Bruce Small decal is still a bit of a mystery. Love the look of the New Look. You've done a great job with the restoration.

Hagrid

Postby Hagrid » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks Clydesdale Scot for all your valuable information, there's just a few more things I'm hoping you can help me with. I would like to get a tool bag and tools for this Malvern Star. Can you still get the original tools from 1940's? Also, I don't think that the seat is original. What type of seat would have been on the bike when it was new? Is there anywhere I can get original type hand grips. Sorry about all the questions but as I said I am a novice with bike restoring.

Also away from the Malvern Star I noticed another thread called Legnano - for when a Malvern Star is too good. My mate has a 1937 Wolsit that he is restoring. He wants to keep the paintwork in it's original condition but the seat needs to be re covered as well as a few minor repairs. Does anyone know if you can get Wolsit parts in Aus or have any contacts or ideas about the seat. Here is a link for the 1937 catalogue http://classiclightweights.net/italy/wo ... e-catalog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; His is the model MOD. BALLONCINO DA UOMO
" "The Wolsit name was a compression of Wolseley Italiana, Wolseley being a British car manufacturer and Wolsit being an Italian joint venture sometime before 1910. Somehow the name got attached to a bike and the brand became part of the Emilio Bozzi empire, alongside Legnano (and Frejus)."
Here are a couple of pics of the 1937 Wolsit as it was purchased.
ImageImage

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:06 pm

G'day Hagrid...
You might want to start a seperate, dedicated thread for the Wolsit. Looks to be another period beauty with some great rejuvenation potential.

I've saved the Fleabay pics of your lovely original MS Ladies step through as reference for an early 40s example I have from the Perth factory. Mine is quite "exposed" condition, but all original with otherwise undamaged parts, including mud & chain guards, a lovely period rear rack with fold out extensions. I must document and share it.

But back to the Wolsit temporarily; Sorry... I couldn't help myself with the name...

(click through to a Dr. Rudi YouTube Collection if you're so inclined)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:49 pm

tool bags are available
Brooks has them, see their webpage Brooks Cycle Bags & Accoutrements
Brisbane's Hein Oliver custom manufactured one for me for the MS New Look. His web site is The Leather Bug
and there are cheaper ones from India on ebay as well.

As I wanted a handstitched model with my specific colour accents I have one choice. And I like to support local artisans. So have a look at Hein's page.

For a saddle I would suggest you look at a mattress saddle, or a Brooks sprung saddle. Search for either, plenty of options (depending on your budget)
this is one in a sympathetic style

the hand grips are easily found
like this style
just search until you find a set in the colour you are after. I would be trying to keep the red and cream colours going OR keep them both black
The Rules offer guidance on this (Rule "8")

what goes in the tool bag depends on what you are able to do when you are out riding.
For some their phone is the tool kit that works. (come and get me)
I carry a spare tube (or two) and tyre levers. For old bikes if you are going to change the tube you will need to remove the wheel. Quick releases were not common, so a suitable spanner.
here are some tools which have been thrust at me
They often come up on ebay, but let people know you are looking for some. Tons (pre-metric) of them are still in garages around the country. Go to garage sales etc.

These are strictly for the old bikes. No metal tyre lever goes near my modern carbon bike and its expensive wheels.

I totally agree with HappyHumber, start a new thread for the other bike.
Get your mate to read through the Oxalic Acid thread. And to avoid fanning the fire, also note the contribution relating to Citric Acid at the bottom of page 2. I do not use that product for rust removal, can't and won't answer any questions relating to it, and am likely to get wound up again if it again intrudes. It is only stated in the interest of a balanced presentation of options.
And start asking vintage car or vintage motor bike owners in your area where they would get a new cover stitched. Could also be relevant for your MS. Buy an old mattress saddle (see the mattress bed showing on the photo) and get it recovered in the leather of your choice. (which is what I did for the New Look)
Now who asked for what time it was?

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:55 pm

I think they gave the Knighthood to the wrong Philip! Ours is a far more valuable citizen than that other fellow.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:17 pm

Tinker wrote:I think they gave the Knighthood to the wrong Philip! Ours is a far more valuable citizen than that other fellow.
don't need one, it comes in the genes
The seat tube decal I had made for Dad's Spearman
And the reason why I so wanted the New look to be a Coronation year build. My wife's name is Liz. (this speak volumes of my sad sense of humour).

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:28 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote: don't need one, it comes in the genes
The seat tube decal I had made for Dad's Spearman
And the reason why I so wanted the New look to be a Coronation year build. My wife's name is Liz. (this speak volumes of my sad sense of humour).
:lol:

Well played Sir!

Hagrid

Postby Hagrid » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:37 pm

Thanks, Philip. Much appreciated and I will follow the advise and start a new thread for the Wolsit.