Bates or not?

WyvernRH

Re: Bates or not?

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:03 pm

Imwit wrote:I really like that.
Happy that SSS got his way.
What is it going to carry? (apart from yourself I mean)
Carridice saddlebag! The Wrights saddle has loops built into the frame. Amazing what you can get into the mid sized model saddlebag....

Richard

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:14 pm

A bit of a blast from the past...
I pretty sure this bike has a destiny wished upon it by one of the contributors to this thread (yes SSS I'm looking at you :) )
Due to an influx of components into the workshop and swapping bits with others in the fleet, the components on this frame have taken a 10 year or more leap into the past back to about 1962. Only about 5 or so years after I think the frame was built.
It is now equipped as follows
Bayliss 1/8" 4 speed freehub
Normandy alloy front hub
27" Weinmann rims
Stronglight alloy 49D 50/40 chainset (165mm)
Suntour first model 'Competition' rear derailleur
Lyotard Steel/Alloy touring pedals
Suntour first generation D/T levers
Suntour Ax front derailleur (more later about this)
Reynolds steel stem
Birmalux alloy bars
GB brake levers
GB Courier brakes

The out-of-period Ax front derailleur has been used as all the period front derailleurs I own interfere with the angle-mounted pump on the left quarter of the seat tube. The Ax has a short actuator arm that clears the pump and so I have used that. Possible an indication this bike originally had only a single ring at the front or a manual changer. The bike also has a very low bottom bracket, thus the 165mm Stronglights. Anything longer mashed clips on startup and made cornering 'interesting'. Probably had 6 1/2" steel Williams originally.
The setup is very light and the bike rides wonderfully. Even the gears change well which with non-derailleur 1/8" chain I was not expecting. Just need to put some decent brake pads on the front to stop the squealing! Also might look for some period lighting.

Richard
Last edited by WyvernRH on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:06 pm

Hmm, I like this a lot.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat May 05, 2018 6:10 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Hmm, I like this a lot.
Yes, me too :D

This thing flies...
I'm not sure why but riding this bike is like you have a perpetual tailwind and the gears change like silk. Must be the slant parallelogram! The lowest gear is about 42" which gets me up all the local hills no problem but I keep finding myself on the 50t front zapping along the road. I have put a couple of the local roadies on their metal in the last few days. They have been quite annoyed to find out the bike they have just chased down only has four gears at the back!

Richard
Last edited by WyvernRH on Sun May 06, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat May 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Funny how some combinations do that. It's like you hit a sweet spot, a perfect storm sort of, where gearing and the frame just match you as a rider. Haven't experienced that since I had a SunTour equipped Raleigh a long time ago.

I'm a bit envious right now.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat May 05, 2018 6:55 pm

But on a positive note I've just inherited a pair of Birmalux 27 inch wheels. So now need to do another retro build.

531db

Postby 531db » Tue May 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Excellent build up Richard. I've been off these forums for several of the past years, threads like this are motivating me again to get some restorations and buildups going after a long hiatus.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:04 pm

Have you still got this Richard?
Stumbled on this thread and thought it worth mentioning that I have recently seen a Melbourne Bates built lugless bike. Track and tandem no less. Built by Norm apparently.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:25 pm

Imwit wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:04 pm
Have you still got this Richard?
Stumbled on this thread and thought it worth mentioning that I have recently seen a Melbourne Bates built lugless bike. Track and tandem no less. Built by Norm apparently.
Yes, still got it, ridden when we do flat <sic> rides around Grahamstown Lake way. Very interesting, thanks for the heads up. I did consider it may be a 'local' but the frame came with verbal history from the seller that the previous owner (i.e. the bloke he bought it off) had this 'British' bike restored by Bates for his girlfriend back in the 1970's. Thus the ladies name hand painted on the chainstays.
The frame number does line up with a mid-50's Taylor so that is where I'm sticking for the time being but really we can never be 100% sure.

Bates did a nice job with the restoration tho when you consider that paint job is nearly 50 years old.

Richard