Vintage Bikes With Modern Groupsets

RIDER321

Postby RIDER321 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi everyone,

Something I've wanted to do for a while now is convert a 12sp vintage bike that is already good with high-end tubing ect to a modern Shimano 20sp groupset. (I'm keeping all the original goodies to undo if I choose to)

So now I've aquiried a bike that weighs low 10kg/high 9kg and a modern Shimano groupset with decent carbon wheels.

After test fitting all the new modern parts it's only dropped around low to mid 9kg.

I'm yet to ride it as there is still work to be done but I would love to hear peoples experiences and input on whether the improvement was noticeable?

Have the modern hubs, gearing ect made a worthwhile improvement?

Has the ride gotten harsher or average speed increased ect..

Hope I finish my project soon to test everything for myself.

I've found similar threads with photos of some great bikes but nothing about the actual riding.

2wheels_mond

Re: Vintage Bikes With Modern Groupsets

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sun May 10, 2015 6:37 pm

For me, a joy. I went with 10sp Tiagra on my Repco Superlite (originally 7 spd Shimano 300EX) - originally I was just going to get compact cranks but the opportunity to get the whole group cheaply came up and I'm not huge on downtube shifters (shock horror).

Living in a very hilly area, compact cranks with an 12-28, with the opportunity to go up to 12-30 if I need to is fantastic. In terms of weight, I only dropped around 500g or so, and most of that was probably in wheels/tyres (went with Shimano R500s). To me the weight loss is not at all noticeable, but it weighs 11kg anyway, a fair bit when my carbon roadie is <8kg.

For me the enjoyment comes from low gearing, STI levers and good brake pads more than any kind of modern componentry weight loss.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun May 10, 2015 6:44 pm

I think any assessment is quite subjective. If you're the one who has put the effort into collecting and building up the frame there's a sense of accomplishment that's likely to either temper or embellish any perceived benefit. You may be underselling your self or inflating your own self worth.

Just ride & enjoy. If you're the sort of person who enjoys building and assembling - that's an extra ingredient in the experience.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun May 10, 2015 6:51 pm

Well, let me put it back to you - if you took a modern bike and fitted vintage components, would the modern bike be improved? I know what I think.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun May 10, 2015 7:02 pm

RonK wrote:if you took a modern bike and fitted vintage components, would the modern bike be improved?
Ron Ron Ron... tsk...
You should realise that's a bit of a self fufilling fallacy. The new frame wouldn't be backward-compatible with old kit!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

RIDER321

Postby RIDER321 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:04 pm

2wheels_mond wrote:For me, a joy. I went with 10sp Tiagra on my Repco Superlite (originally 7 spd Shimano 300EX) - originally I was just going to get compact cranks but the opportunity to get the whole group cheaply came up and I'm not huge on downtube shifters (shock horror).

Living in a very hilly area, compact cranks with an 12-28, with the opportunity to go up to 12-30 if I need to is fantastic. In terms of weight, I only dropped around 500g or so, and most of that was probably in wheels/tyres (went with Shimano R500s). To me the weight loss is not at all noticeable, but it weighs 11kg anyway, a fair bit when my carbon roadie is <8kg.

For me the enjoyment comes from low gearing, STI levers and good brake pads more than any kind of modern componentry weight loss.
Glad to hear the improvements were worthwhile for you.

I'm actually the opposite and dislike STI levers.. weird I know.

I unfortunately won't benefit from the low gearing as there are no hills anywhere near where I live.

Better brakes will be great so happy there.

RIDER321

Postby RIDER321 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:10 pm

HappyHumber wrote:I think any assessment is quite subjective. If you're the one who has put the effort into collecting and building up the frame there's a sense of accomplishment that's likely to either temper or embellish any perceived benefit. You may be underselling your self or inflating your own self worth.

Just ride & enjoy. If you're the sort of person who enjoys building and assembling - that's an extra ingredient in the experience.
I'm not doing this to win Tour de France or trying to boost my ego.

I like vintage bikes as they are but have always wanted to build something like this

Just after peoples experiences and findings after attempting something similar.

RIDER321

Postby RIDER321 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:12 pm

RonK wrote:Well, let me put it back to you - if you took a modern bike and fitted vintage components, would the modern bike be improved? I know what I think.
In a way yes and no. Improved in performance or 'quality' can be argued.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sun May 10, 2015 7:20 pm

I'm not sure what you expect to gain then. Some Kool Stop Salmon pads cost about $10, but that's the only place you'll see any real change.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun May 10, 2015 7:21 pm

RIDER321 wrote: Have the modern hubs, gearing ect made a worthwhile improvement?
Hyperglide shifting is a notable improvement.

You may find dual pivot brakes an improvement over single pivot ones. But new pads make a bigger difference

Modern wheels are generally weaker than 6 speed wheels. 10 speed chains are much weaker. The extra gears are a "meh" unless you remove the front derailleur as a side effect
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun May 10, 2015 7:35 pm

RonK wrote:Well, let me put it back to you - if you took a modern bike and fitted vintage components, would the modern bike be improved? I know what I think.
Dont think many/any have done this. Ive got an early 2000s Hillbrick which has got 8s Mirage from the 90s on it. Also building a early/mid 2000s Superbike with some early 90s DA. Went backwards there because I had those bits around, and they were good enough for me.

Ive got one bike thats fitted with 6700 stuff. Only reason is, that I happened to find that groupset for very cheap. Running 10s DTs on it though, so in terms of riding, theres really not all that much difference to me, other than it being a compact and is my climbing bike. All my groupsets are late 80s/90s stuff, so there havent been massive improvements since, other than maybe electronic shifting, which I may try out one day.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun May 10, 2015 8:24 pm

The ride quality will not improve with a modern groupset. A frame that rides like a dog will still ride like a dog after tarting it up with a modern groupo.

The key for an upgrade like this is to have a great frame to start with.

Weight is not a high priority.

Your ultimate goal is to have the great riding quality of vintage steel with the luxury of modern shifting and braking.

I did the same thing with my old GEFSCO. A top quality, great riding and handling, Tange Champion no.1 frameset with a modern Campagnolo 10 speed groupset. Image

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun May 10, 2015 8:48 pm

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun May 10, 2015 8:50 pm

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun May 10, 2015 8:58 pm

Crazy drillium! Are the walls filled in on the chain stays?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Sun May 10, 2015 8:59 pm

Here's mine that got me really into road bikes. Lovely to ride. V happy with the 10 spd Veloce.

LG

Postby LG » Sun May 10, 2015 9:11 pm

and very happy with 11speed 105 :D A comfortable frame and well functioning parts = bliss (although improved performance from the motor would be nice).
LG = Low Gear

RIDER321

Postby RIDER321 » Sun May 10, 2015 10:09 pm

Great looking bikes guys!

singlespeedscott - have to admit that when you posted your bike in the other thread I started influenced this build somewhat lol

The bike is also Tange 1 (not the blue one from other thread) and is nearly finished with the Ultegra 20 speed conversion.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun May 10, 2015 10:25 pm

I've ridden this one as shown here, and also with a 600 tricolour group with downtube shifters. Still the same bike but the STIs do make things that little bit nicer.

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

morini

Postby morini » Mon May 11, 2015 8:03 am

Down shifters are great but I'd have Ergos over them every time. Mine runs first gen 9 speed 1998 Chorus, which has done a gazillion miles and is so worn out it has just about reverted to working like friction shifters. This is the third frame this groupset has been on and frame isn't that vintage nor modern but it's still made of steel. It's just not quite right for me so I'm on the hunt for another steel replacement.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Mon May 11, 2015 8:37 am

Weight was not a priority for me. I just wanted something that I love riding and this fits the bill.

All components are new but have an old-school look, including the Campag Athena 11 speed group. It is about 1.5kg heavier than my carbon/ultgra di2 bike but then I weigh close to 100kg so the difference overall is negligible.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon May 11, 2015 9:24 am

morini wrote:Down shifters are great but I'd have Ergos over them every time.
Forgot that in my list - ergo shifters are a major improvement over downtubeshifters

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon May 11, 2015 10:19 am

Do it

and in case you havnt seen it already.

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vinta ... ergos.html

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon May 11, 2015 11:33 am

jaseyjase wrote:Do it
Does that make my 1991(?) Cannondale vintage? Is the 10sp Daytona groupset on it still modern? (Quick google shows I don't know how old the frame is.)
Last edited by Thoglette on Mon May 11, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Mon May 11, 2015 11:49 am

Sharkey wrote:
Nailed it, in my opinion anyway :wink:
Phil