Classic Lightweights freezes Readers' Bikes

hiflange

Classic Lightweights freezes Readers' Bikes

Postby hiflange » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:00 pm

An August 2nd update to one of my favourite websites, Classsic Lightweights, announces that they are closing the popular Readers' Bikes page to further submissions.

For collectors, restorers and riders of Pommy bikes (and by extension Aussie bikes) from the 1930's to the '70's this is a wonderful, practical resource. The component database that was derived from it by Hugo Vanneck is a gem of some considerable scale. Many of the bikes listed still sport their original paint making it a rare frame colour reference for bikes that were built in an age of monochrome catalogues.

Clydesdale Scot

Re: Classic Lightweights freezes Readers' Bikes

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:40 am

I hope that the web master may allow some very special ones to sneak in.
Peter explains it:
Many more have been declined as not period correct as clearly defined on our Home Page. The Readers' Bikes section was really meant to be a guide to building up classic racing bikes with appropriate components but because of the name we chose many feel it is open to any restored bike. As a result we have more tension over this section than over the rest of the website.
It is a wonderful resource. However the bikes reflect the owner's tastes, and many from the period I have focused on are not strictly period correct. I use it as a starting point, to see what others have used for the same time period. Then I research each component from contemporary resources. After this step I know what I should be searching for.

Perhaps a caveat along those lines should be placed at the top of the Reader's Bikes page, and a revision to the wording on the home page
from
The Readers' Bikes section is there as a guide to owners wishing for advice on components for a period-correct restoration.

to "The Readers Bikes section is there to showcase bikes of our many readers"
and then it can be opened up again!

singlespeedscott

Re: Classic Lightweights freezes Readers' Bikes

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:04 pm

One off my favourite places to look at. I really have soft spot for bikes from the late 50's to early 70's.

But I do agree some are more about being a useful daily rider than period correct. Both camps have their points but I really like to see a bike thats "ridden, not hidden". It is afterall a bike. A form of transport intended to be used used and not viewed on a wall.