Swansea 5 Swan restoration

lunar_c

Swansea 5 Swan restoration

Postby lunar_c » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:50 pm

Hi all,

After my 2 Swan frame was found to be bent I decided it was time to start on the 5 Swan frame my best friend Luke gave to me a while ago.

It's a tiny 53.5cm ST (c-t) x 56cm TT (c-c) frame, with horizontal rear dropouts and single eyelets front and rear, the fork is drilled for a brake. The frame weighs 1740g, and the fork 670g. Probably 100g less without the thick paint.

The fork and frame are stamped haphazardly, some numbers overlap or aren't stamped square so only half of the letter or number is impressed into the steel - what I can make out is 8991 in one sequence, then H55 in another, and 18864 in another, and finally 7899 HSS. The bottom bracket is stamped BRITISH across the middle, and H55, and 1 or J 8861 on one socket, and some gibberish overlapping numbers on the other.

It's in good condition, having only one small dent at the base of the seat tube, and has had the pump pegs on the seat tube de-brazed and removed which I will repair. At some point it had a repaint and Gordonson (why you would do this I don't know) decals applied at some point .. the original colour is present on the fork steerer and is a light blue.

As far as components go I'm open to suggestions (thats partly why I started this thread, for advice) the frame had lots of poor quality later 70's additions that were discarded, but this is what I've managed to cobble together from this frame and the bent 2 swan.

This is the Brampton headset from the 2 swan - still in quite fair condition and certainly serviceable.

Also from the 2 swan, a Brampton cotter pin crank set. Again in quite good condition considering it's age and will be used again.

The Bayliss Wiley 36h "solo" front hub from the 2 swan cleaned up well and the cups and cones are almost pristine! Just needs some suitable lock nuts, washers and wheel nuts.

These are the cotter pin cranks from the 2 swan, chromed steel .. no markings, and the chainring and drive crank are one piece. They could be reused but I wonder if something higher end like some BSA or Williams cranks would be more appropriate?

The bars from the 2 swan are a steel deep track bend, marked US/Canadian patent 1941, and Aus patent 1946 .. no other markings I can see.

My first round of questions is .. how do you think this bike would have been set up originally?

I imaging it would have something like box section tubular rims, 36 holes .. laced 3 cross? 700c? The bayliss wiley might suit the front, but I haven't seen a matching "solo" rear anywhere, I imagine this bike would have had a flip flop hub on the back originally?

As for bars and stem .. an early cinelli or GB? Any idea's on bars?

Front brake and levers?

Also curious .. the oil/grease port on the BB shell, did that just have a grub screw in it originally, or something like a zertz fitting?

Open to all suggestions and advice .. thank you!

Regards,
Ben

Clydesdale Scot

Re: Swansea 5 Swan restoration

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:15 pm

I suggest that you get the frame date sorted first.
Hopefully Robert will be able to make sense of the numbers.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:48 pm

I might be able to help you on the rear hub if you want a steel one to match. I'll check teh spares box and get back.
The b'braclet oiler would have been a 'flip top' oiler port. Must be a close up picture somewhere?

Richard

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:24 pm

Hit the frame with some paint stripper looking for clues .. More of the original blue can be seen.

Imagep

The "H" appears to be an "R" .. Racer, 55' ?

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:52 pm

That's a great looking frame. Would look great with contrasting colours on the head tube and lugs/swans.
Sorry I can't help with anything constructive on the original specs.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:17 am

Interesting set of numbers.
Most Swanseas have a single number that is part of a sequence that ran from the 20's to the 60's. Almost all of them have the frame number just to the rear of the bottom bracket underside.

Any of the 4 or 5 digit would fit in the Swansea sequence. Could any of the H55 stamps be SSH if read the other way up? Swansea stamped refurbished bikes with SSH followed by a number. SSH standing for Swansea Second Hand. Regarding the possibility of the H55 being R55 I've seen one bike that had R5 stamped on it in two places and no other numbers.

The two 5 digit numbers are so close! 18861 and 18864 would indicate a build date of 1947, 8891 would put it around 1940. It'd love to come and have a look, will PM you to make a time.

Bike shops like Swansea and Gordonson routinely took trade-ins on bikes and refurbished them with their own livery.

Pick any stem from the period, plenty of them had Cinelli's or steel GB's. Wheels, again, pick anything from the period. On the few 5 Swan Swanseas I've seen with original equipment I've seen Hardens, Priors, Airlites, VEW and Bayliss Wiley hubs. Alloy tubs or steel clincher rims would be fine. Dunlop Special Lightweights maybe. The hard part is that they ALL used 32/40 spoke counts. 40 hole rear rims are nigh on impossible to get hold of, especially in the sort of shape that you can true :-) Cane (wood) rims are another option and they are available in a 40 hole count.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Thanks for your insights Rob! PM me you're welcome to come and have a look.

Would one set of numbers indicate when it was originally manufactured, and another when it was refurbished as a secondhand bicycle? That might explain the plethora of numbers on the bike?

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:27 pm

I will wire brush the serial numbers to see if I can get the exact number sequences this afternoon Robert.