Bob's Vinco

P!N20

Re: Bob's Vinco

Postby P!N20 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:38 am

Magic. Sorry if I missed it - who built the frame?

Single pivot brakes FTW.

uart

Postby uart » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Yeah, that one really is a beautiful old bike C-Scott. In much nicer condition than mine, but kind of reminds me of my favorite old steely.

Tell us how is Bob's current condition. I know that there will come a time when all of us have to retire from the bike, but a nasty accident can certainly hasten that decision. I'm guessing it was probably something slow to heal like a broken hip.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Bob designed the frame very carefully. He was a head teacher at the main TAFE College (when it was producing excellent skilled workers)
He was quite specific about the research he did in getting the angles to give him the ride characteristics he was seeking.
The building of the frame was entrusted to someone he knew, but Bob regarded the frame as his, because of the design.

Bob felt that his accident was his fault and that age had played a part, and whilst he recovered where he could ride again, he felt he was fortunate in that it could have been much worse. He didn't want to put his family through any further anguish from another accident. He had decided that his time in the saddle had ended. He had enjoyed the decades, and he was able to make that decision.
No regrets.

I will soon start scanning the clippings of Bob's.
More to come

Philip

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:51 pm

What a fantastic bike and story.

Got to love a purple stead. I used the purple Newbaums tape on my purple bike and coated it with 3 coats of amber shellac. It came out a beautiful chocolate colour that perfectly matched the bikes Brooks B17 Narrow.

Just a personal thought but I think some skinwall tyres, like Veloflex's Masters, would really be the icing on the cake.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:24 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:What a fantastic bike and story.

Got to love a purple stead. I used the purple Newbaums tape on my purple bike and coated it with 3 coats of amber shellac. It came out a beautiful chocolate colour that perfectly matched the bikes Brooks B17 Narrow.

Just a personal thought but I think some skinwall tyres, like Veloflex's Masters, would really be the icing on the cake.
I thought this as well, some gummie Panaracers or Michelins would be very tasty
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:36 am

I need to take an updated side on photo with the deeper profile, gold anodised CXP30 rims.
The gold rims may have the desired aesthetics. I like how their colour complements the frame colour.

I need to keep the width and height of the tyre in mind as there is no quick release on those brakes, plus there is a reinforcement piece at the bottom bracket/chainstay which limits longitudinal movement when the wheel is inserted. I found it best to keep the tube uninflated for easier wheel installation, then inflate the tube when it is mounted.

So more photos.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 am

Clydesdale Scot wrote:
So more photos.
Yes.. Please..

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:18 pm

Am very partial to CXP30s.
Mmmm, CXPs, downtube shifters, SunTour and steel frame. Might just be the perfect bike....

More photos please.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:39 pm

detail from the bottom bracket/chainstays.
Imagebottom bracket by philip.knight, on Flickr

a confirmation that the bike gets ridden
Imagefrom riders position by philip.knight, on Flickr

and how it currently looks
Imagesideon by philip.knight, on Flickr

I think the bronze rims and the black tyres work well. The bronze is repeated in the hoods, and the blue in the lug cutouts works to lift the presentation working with the period aero bottle. The bottle shape helps others to place the period of the bike.

These were taken at the end of a 60km ride this morning.

It is a pleasure to ride.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:detail from the bottom bracket/chainstays.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/24aotzA]Image
Very interesting C.S. What exactly is the function of that little plate that is brazed onto the rear of the bottom bracket. Does it replace the little cross stay that's usually there, or is it brazed over the top of that.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:56 pm

here it is from the underside
Imagebottom bracket2 by philip.knight, on Flickr

and the weight is 10.1kg, as seen in the photo, including pedals, toolbag (with tools) and bottle and cage.