Bob's Vinco

Clydesdale Scot

Bob's Vinco

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:46 pm

shellac or not?

I started riding again about 2004. In 2005 I began riding with a large paceline group that rode along the Adelaide coastline from Glenelg to Outer Harbor and return. The group is split into various average speed groups depending on skill and fitness.
Because the group is so large and the staggered starts and longer gaps at the finish, it takes you a while before you get to know the riders in the other groups.
In the lower average speed groups the average age is a little higher. One of the riders rode a steel frame, with the name ‘Vinco’ on the downtube. The bike’s owner, Bob, was of mature age. Off the bike he is tallish, thin build and a stooped stance. The bike stood out from the other thick tubed aluminium, and as the years progressed, carbon frames replaced the aluminium. Not for Bob.
A few times, when riders numbers were down due to public holidays etc, we combined speed groups. I rode alongside Bob on some of those rides. On the bike he was Coppiesque. Bob and his bike belong together. His riding style was smooth and even paced. He knew how to ride. He didn’t stay silent if something needed to be said, but he was economical with his words out on ride.
There have been a few times where he has accepted my offer and sat on my wheel, mainly when the headwind was strong. Just a few times Bob had turned back early and as we went past I left the group I was with and offered to help give Bob a tow back. Sometimes he accepted. I knew I had to be smooth and steady, or be gently chided if I wasn’t.
As I was restoring Dad’s old Spearman, I searched out Bob with a few questions to try to keep Spearman authentic to the period. He scoffed at using shellac on the cloth bar tape. He said they just removed the dirty tape, gave it a wash and rewrapped the now cleaned tape. OK, I was given a simple and clear answer.
One time Bob asked if I knew where to get the ‘flint-catchers’ as he wanted a set for his bike. I said I had a NOS set I had bought and he could have them. I declined to accept payment, happy that they were being used.
Bob wasn’t prepared to accept my modest gift. Instead he presented me with a beautiful piece of scroll saw woodwork he had crafted- of Coppi. My standout rider from my favourite period.
A few times we were riding around McLaren Flat on a Sunday we saw Bob in his role as one of the officials at the Southern Vets Cycling Club. Those riders are serious. Sheep stations on every ride, including training rides.
So my respect continued to grow for Bob.
During the second half of 2105, I heard that Bob had been involved in a riding accident when on his mountain bike and had sustained serious injuries. News later came that he was on the mend.
Then I was told that the leader of Bob’s regular speed group has wanting to contact me.
Contact was made and I heard that Bob wanted me to be the custodian of his bike, the Vinco. Bob had decided to give up riding.
I met with Bob, and spent a few hours chatting. Yes, he did want me to look after his bike, as he knew I had a few and I respected the bikes and their heritage.
I have asked Bob to document the history of the bike and his riding. Briefly, the frame was designed by Bob and custom made in the early 1980s and painted. At his wife’s urging, Bob showed me a drawer full of medals just before I left. There is a lot of history there to be told.

ImageAs Bob last rode it by philip.knight, on Flickr

I have had the bike a few months now. I wanted to return it to period equipment. So the brifters, rear derailleur and wheels will be replaced.
I have been collecting the parts, trying to match to the surviving original components. I had some Suntour Superbe Pro brake levers, and I bought a Suntour Superbe Pro rear derailleur and gear levers. Mavic MA2 rims and Suntour hubs. A friend laced them for me.
Modolo anatomic translucent brake lever hoods were a nice pickup as Suntour hoods are now unobtainium.
The brake calipers Bob had chosen were rare. They are the Dia-Compe AGC-300, Aero Gran Compe, primarily aimed for the time-trialist. They are a short reach and have an eccentric brake shoe adjustment needing a very specific brake shoe. This was a challenge to find replacement brake shoes as the existing ones were well worn. Some forum posts have a work around solution, but it looks too cheap and nasty for such beautiful calipers. Then there are reproductions from Japan at very expensive prices. And I got lucky, a NOS set were on ebay. Still very pricey, but half the price of the reproductions.
Last weekend I started the project. I removed the later components and cleaned and gently polished the frame and the remaining components. I have fitted the rear derailleur, gear and brake levers. I dropped the stem and the seat post, so they are within the safety zone. Safer given my size and enthusiastic riding style. I have bought a matching aero bottle so I can use the cap to replace the cap missing from Bob's.
I am planning on using some cloth tape, Newbaums. I need to check on the colour.
Then do I give it a coat of clear shellac to protect it, and incur Bob’s scorn, or leave it untreated?
No shellac. I hope to get an approving smile from Bob when I ride to his place to show him, and hopefully get a photo.
I know it will be right, no shellac on Bob's bike.

More to come.
when It is fully assembled I will detail all the components.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bog1953

Re: Bob's Vinco

Postby bog1953 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:52 pm

THANKS FOR SHARING. The bike is an inanimate object, it's the story behind it that's important. That story must be always be attached to that bike. cheers

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:00 am

Great post. A reminder that we are only custodians of these lovely bicycles, not owners.

Can't wait to see the finished result!

old steel Bikes

Postby old steel Bikes » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:34 am

This brings out the next question for most people on this forum.
What are we going to do with all of your own bikes?
We have a great interest in these bikes but it is not for a lot of people
you only need to here what people are saying WHAT FOR
My wife has asked me to log my bikes for what reason I do not really know
Mine will be left family members who like a bike or others who still have an interest in bikes

Danny

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:04 pm

Damn. Just...damn. Special story and excellent outcome. Does demonstrate just how interesting a machine like a bicycle can be...and also how if they are not ridden and enjoyed then they are just machines.

Long live Bob's Vinco...and its story.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:14 am

Ah, now I know why you're after Superbe Pro bits. I had thought it was a bit 'modern' for you, but it makes sense on that frame. I do look forward to seeing the end result.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:43 am

Great story, and sounds like a great project. I can foresee a happy ending already.
Thanks for sharing.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:39 am

thoughtful responses, thank you.

It will be a joy to take this one out and it should have the gearing to cope with undulations. I will be able to take this one into the hills; an option to my carbon Scott.
The handlebar tape has been ordered, that will take care of getting the bike back on the road.
Now to order the new rim decals from Cyclomondo, and these little plugs for the brakes, because I can.
Quang, this is all too easy. 'Modern' bikes like this have all the bits still on the shelf. If I can go modern, you should try getting an older bike.
Danny, there is a member of bikeforums who has in his signature "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my bicycles for what I told her they cost."

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:04 pm

replaced the gear levers, brake levers and hoods, bar tape, wheels tyres and tubes, the bottle cap, rivnuts holding the bottle cage, new gear cables, brake cables and outers, replaced the rear derailleur, new chain. Gave it a good clean and polish. Test ride to come on Saturday. :D :D
And then a trip to Bob to get his comments.

Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:16 pm

:sob:

by Huey that's pretty.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:49 am

you can see why I needed to get new pads. They will be replaced shortly.

so just the new rim decals and the rubber plugs for the brakes to buy.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:46 am

Beautiful. That colour reminds me of something...

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:20 pm

I rode the Vinco out last Saturday and Sunday. Again today for a 70km ride. Max speed today was 49.4kph on the flat no wind assist. Will improve with more kms.
I visited Bob this afternoon with the bike and he approves of the work done.
He has loaned me his photos and newspaper cuttings to scan.
Then it will be back for another chat to focus on this bike and its construction.

And back out again on it tomorrow morning for another ride.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:10 am

Beautiful bike with a story to match. The newbaums looks amazing un-shellac'd.. I really enjoyed reading and await the final pictures.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:57 am

That really is a stunner Clydesdale. I'm enjoying the story too. The burgundy colour with the gold highlights and script works really well .

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:43 pm

The man who has his name on the top tube.

and a confession. The tape has had two light coats of my mix of amber and blond shellac. :oops: I justified it as I was doing it as this was needed to get the colour right. :D :D The tape looks and feels like cloth tape.
I asked my regular bike shop (International Cycles) to install it. Peter Giesauf had one of the young part-time mechanics do it, because he was very particular in getting it right. :D
I asked for it to be wrapped from the top AND for the cloth tape to be damp when being wrapped. I had read that when the tape dries it will tighten up. David reported that it took a number of times to get the spacing pleasing to the eye and he noticed it was harder to wrap when it had started to dry than when it was damp. That reinforced the need to dampen the tape again.
I was delighted with David's attention to detail.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:54 pm

So glad I clicked on this thread and read it from the start! Well done - it is a beautiful bike. And good to see the old lessons still hold true; top down and damp - I haven't heard that in over 25 years!!
Andrew

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:14 pm

OCD: I don't think I suffer from it.

The new pads are in, plus I have acquired a spare set!
But there is still something that irritated my eye.

I needed to get some Koolstop pads for the 1952 Blue Riband, so I had a look through Porkchops inventory and found the missing rubber plugs. Not that much of an extravagance.

To my eye they are now looking as the designer intended.

Now to see if Greg Softley can print these for me
Don't worry, this is only a low resolution jpeg. My artwork is in the correct vector format for sharp outputs.
as seen here
The red is the cut line.
the fade reminds me of the M.C. Escher 'Night and Day' poster I had on my bedroom wall as a kid

Philip
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:33 pm

Those rims were on some wheels I bought that had these hubs

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:03 pm

Hi Clydesdale Scot, this is the very first time I have read your story about Bob's bike and I must say that it is extremely well written, so much so that I feel I have met Bob. And, what a beautiful bike it is. This is my favourite story I have read in this forum, ever. Thank you for such a personal and revealing insight into your relationship with Bob.

What an honour to be given custodianship of Bob's Vinco and it could not be in better hands. It is also very impressive to read the lengths you have gone to to return the Vinco back to it's glory era.

I love the photo of Bob with his bike.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:43 pm

this is the scroll saw work Bob gave me for the 'flint-catchers"

It is on display in our family room with our other collectables. And that was by direction from my wife :shock:

I like to have the history to go with the bike; Dad's Spearman, Ralph's Ace Special, Dave's EA Boult, Graeme's father-in-law's Bullock.
All, in my thoughts, are greater than the sum of the components. The maker's names are not prominent, or highly revered; but that suits me. I like to be the contrarian, and I self-describe myself as a polymath (which is an exaggeration, but few people bother to seek the word's meaning.) 8)

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:01 pm

The paintwork on the Vinco was done by Les Hall, the man behind the Adelaide Superb frames.
He largely worked from his garage in Rochester St, Colonel Light Gardens (Adelaide).
I live in the same suburb, and was a key player in getting the suburb State Heritage Listed.
I can (and do) talk for hours and hours about the suburb and its importance for early town planning.

Back to the Vinco. Bob said he named the bike Vinco 'to win'
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:52 am

Also the first time I've seen this thread. This is amazing and can only congratulate you on the quality of the work. Especially like seeing SunTour hardware out there, gives me renewed motivation to finish my current project...

Just got these from a guy in Europe..

the accumulation continues..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:28 am

10speedsemiracer wrote: the accumulation continues..
Please take us along the way, it is so much richer than presenting the finished product.
The options available, the reasons behind the short-lists, the boxes as they are ticked off.

Those are really nice gear levers; they provide a wonderful snapshot of the peak of design for their time, form as well as function.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:55 am

That is super-nice, CS! Love the pic with Bob, especially: like a wise old greyhound.