Miele Road Bicycle Information

rapier

Miele Road Bicycle Information

Postby rapier » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi Guys,
I've recently acquired a Miele road bike (58cm TT C-C, 59cm ST C-C) but am unsure of it's origins. In Australia, we do not see many of these so first of all, I'm wondering, is it actually a Miele? It has been powder coated black with Miele decals. I don't believe the fork to be original and it had a whole mix of parts on it. Shimano 600 tricolor RD and shifters, Shimano 600 Arabesque crankset, Shimano exage FD and brake levers, malliard hubs with mavic tubular rims, gipiemme crono special brake calipers, 3ttt stem, cinelli handlebars and a 26.6 seatpost. I've tried fitting a 26.8 but it definitely is too big. I'm trying to figure out what type of steel the frame is made out of. I was really hoping it was some sort of columbus tubing, but from my research on these forums, it appears that may never have made any columbus in 26.6. If it truly is a Miele, it could potentially be made of Ishiwata or Tange II or Tange Infinity tubing. The frame alone weighs roughly 2.25kg (is this seen as lightweight?) and I can just make out a serial number on the bottom of the seat tube: P3361549. It's also interesting that the rear dropouts, although are not named, have no mudguard/rack eyelets which suggests to me that this frame was made for racing - I have not come across a lower end frame which does not have eyelets on the dropouts. I plan on using it and building it up with a full Shimano 6400 tricolor groupset, but I still would like to know at least whether I have a Miele or not, and what tubing the frame is made. Thanks in advance.

rodneycc

Re: Miele Road Bicycle Information

Postby rodneycc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:44 pm

Sorry can't help out but Geez those drops look rather scary. So I'm guessing they are that Canadian bike company and not that other Miele that does washing machine's etc?? I was thinking it might be a little like those CocaCola bikes they produced in the early 80s (nothing to do with bike making but rather just with a brand on it for advertising)

Edit: Oh it is the same company... found this...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/36108 ... e-history/

I'm not sure if this link is any help to you (or a couple of links within there)...
http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vinta ... there.html
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

rapier

Postby rapier » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:48 pm

Geez those drops look rather scary
How come? Because they are not vertical?
So I'm guessing they are that Canadian bike company and not that other Miele that does washing machine's etc??
Correct. Ive done loads of research on bike forums and found that they were manufactured by an Italian born canadian, or built hand built higher end Miele frames, but the rest were made elsewhere. No relation to the washing mashine brand I believe. Closest pics I have found are these ones:

TopSide

Postby TopSide » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi rapier,

Miele was a Canadian brand name started by Guvin Company and the brand name was later sold to the Procycle Group.

Miele imported frames from Japan and Italy (Rossin for example). Later they built some of their own frames in Canada.

Your bike looks to be a Lupa model, which was built in Canada. The original decals where plastic strips that wear out.