Has anyone heard or know of the KELSTAR brand

GPX george

Has anyone heard or know of the KELSTAR brand

Postby GPX george » Sun May 01, 2016 3:52 pm

I've bought a KELSTAR ladies bike on the cheap. With the hope of fixing it up a bit. It's just a run of the mill, nothing special bike from around the 50s or 60s. I just liked the look of it really. Does anyone know anything about this marque? Hoping to get away with not spending much on it. The frame is blue with hand painted pin striping and lettering. Pretty average to poor condition overall. Paint damage and rust marks on the frame, chrome work is bad. Cranks ok, bottom bracket and headset useable, 26" wheels are true and will work fine but there's a fair bit of corrosion and chrome bubbling on them. The chrome on the bars and stem is completely shot (wheels too if I'm honest). If anyone has bars and stem I'll happily buy them from you. I'm going to clearcoat the frame after cleaning up and rust converting to stop it deteriorating any further. Any knowledge on wether this is a good idea or not. Finally bottom bracket is a Bayliss Wiley made in England.

Photos
http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/GPXge ... ry/kelstar

Hg80369

Re: Has anyone heard or know of the KELSTAR brand

Postby Hg80369 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi. George. Kelstar was a brand made by Keller's Cycles in the '60s & '70s. They were located on the east side of Brighton Rd. Brighton, just south of the Brighton Hotel. It was a toy shop as well. They have since closed, & the shop was demolished many years ago. There's a servo there now. One of my favourite shops when I was a kid, growing up in Brighton in the good old days! Hope that helps. Cheers, Adam

L.Keller

Re: Has anyone heard or know of the KELSTAR brand

Postby L.Keller » Sat May 05, 2018 5:44 am

Keller’s Cycles and Toys was owned and run by my Uncle, Frank Keller and his wife Marie. Kelstar was not an actual brand of bike, they were put together from bits of bikes he collected on his trips around Adelaide. I received one for my birthday in September 1967. He laughed and said I had one of the all-sorts bikes. Lee Keller.