Servicing Harden Bacon Slicer hubs - a few questions

feelthewheel

Servicing Harden Bacon Slicer hubs - a few questions

Postby feelthewheel » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:27 am

I was lucky enough (finally) to score a bicycle that came fitted with Harden Bacon Slicers. A complete fluke but woohoo!!

The front hub still spins nice and freely for ages but the rear slows down pretty quickly. So I'm assuming it needs a cleanout or bearings replaced. However having read as much info on these at Classiclightweights, etc, I've got a few questions. As I don't want to damage these rare beauties in any way.

1) The front hub. As I understand they don't use lock-nuts but sealed bearings, if I simply pump grease via the nipple (luckily both have the original Tecalemits still fitted), where does the excess grease escape from? Will it seep out from the flanges of the axle caps? And should I use 'standard' motor vehicle grease?

2) The axle caps. For servicing and/or sealed bearing removal, should they be simply be fully bound up against the hub when finished? Do they sit in a flange on the hub or hard against the side of the sealed bearing cage? I'm assuming I shouldn't leave any play so as to remove any risk of contamination (which lead me to ask Question 1 about excess grease).

3) Replacement of bearings. To remove the bearings and replace with NOS LNJ 3/8 (if needed), would I need to tap out the sealed cage with a drift (placing the drift lengthwise through the axle shaft)? Wouldn't that damage the hub? Or do I (for example) pour some hot water on to the hub to expand the metal before attempting removal and make it easier. And likewise for installation, would I put the sealed cage in the freezer to shrink it slightly before installation?

If any forum members have experience with this, I would really appreciate your guidance thanks.

RobertFrith

Re: Servicing Harden Bacon Slicer hubs - a few questions

Postby RobertFrith » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:02 am

Below are some pics that answer some of your questions.

They make interesting reading but the executive summary is;
• use Mobil No.4 grease (or Mobil Handy Oil if you're racing) every 200 miles
• retaining nuts fit inside the flange on the hub and should be done up tight to retain the ball races, "no adjustment is provided as none is needed"
• force foreign matter and water from the hubs by flushing through with grease via the nipple.

I've got some Harden hubs too, one of which is a bit sticky so I'm watching with interest.

I have some additional questions; how are you meant to get the grease gun securely on the nipple of a 40 spoke wheel? Does it have a rigid nozzle? I have a Harden shell, rear single sided fixed, does anybody have a Harden axle they'd part company with?

tedsbikes

Postby tedsbikes » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:30 am

Heating the hub and cooling the bearings should help. And, to enable removal of the spindle (axle), remove the lube nipple BEFORE disassembly. And, also, do not lose the little concave washer.

Ted

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:48 am

feelthewheel, check your PM's, I have sent a link to an article on Harden hubs.

In addition to the material by Peter Underwood on Classic Lightweights his link to another site has very detailed information

Robert, Harden recommended the use of the Tecalemit grease gun, type 7 M/c in the 1950 catalogue in the V-CC library and that "A grease gun should be applied to the nipple and sufficient lubricant inserted to force the old grease though the small clearance at the ends of the hub about every 200 miles." Mobilgrease No.4 is the specified grease.

And another Harden catalogue advises "Greasing should therefore be continued until clean grease exudes from the hub..."

Mobilgrease No.4 is this:

The Tecalemit Oil Gun , High Pressure, Specially suitable for use with "Harden" Hubs, size 5" overall is in the 1950 Brown Brothers catalogue on page 185.
These regularly come up on evilbay, and don't limit your search to the cycling section, as they were included in tool kits for cars and motorbikes. That is where I got mine from.

The Chater Lea hub, with the nipple at the end of the axle is easier to access for lubrication, just don't fall on that side!
let me help you prepare your ebay advert, ask me how

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks for everyone who generously shared information! And thanks Clydesdale Scot for the PM (I have PM'd back however seem to be having issues with my outbox sending the message on, please let me know if you don't receive).

I'll now have to track down an appropriate Tecalemit grease gun. I'm still tempted to give the parts a degrease before filling with new (plus an inspection to look for wear can't hurt). Hopefully I don't need to replace any of the sealed bearings.

And speaking of that, does anyone know what replaced Mobil No.4 grease?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Pmed worked.
I use a good quality wheel (car) bearing grease.
As it doesn't get ridden in the rain or at extreme speeds it is ideal.
What are they going to be used on?
let me help you prepare your ebay advert, ask me how

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:26 am

I'll check out a range of the good grease :D at Repco or somesuch when I'm next in Geelong (closest large town).

Plans are to clean, polish and service. Then they'll be reinstalled onto the bicycle they came with, after it's had a service. I'm hoping to confirm it is a genuine in-house Hillman, and will post pics if it is.

Or I might just hang them on the wall and drool :lol:

RobertFrith

Postby RobertFrith » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:23 pm

The bearings in the Hardens on my 1947 5 Star seemed OK until I pumped new grease in and went for a ride. Both front and back wheels got some play after about 20km. You can pay some pretty hefty prices for the KLNJ3/8 bearings, over A$50 per bearing on some sites. I just thought I'd share this Australian supplier who don't show up in the first few pages of google search results; http://www.bearingshop.com.au/store/ite ... romesteel/