70s Malvern Star - free to good home

ReSikeling

70s Malvern Star - free to good home

Postby ReSikeling » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi,

My father-in-law is removing a lot of his old possessions with an eye to down sizing their place. As part of this, he has asked us to pass on his circa mid 1970s Malvern Star bicycle. This bike is is reasonable nick for its age (no significant rust, no serious dints or broken sections) though I would do a fair bit of work on it before I would ride it. It has a five speed rear group set but no front derailleur (only single front cog). The frame has a sticker on the bottom of the pedal hub which says "M145925" which I assume is the manufacturing serial number. (I found another post on this forum and there are some people on these groups that now an awe inspiring amount about such things, so I will leave this to people that know far more than me).

I am hoping to find someone who would value something like this bike as it is, based on what little I do know, it is a small piece of Australian cycling history. It is free to anyone who can pick it up from my place in Melbourne.

Adam

Leaf T

Re: 70s Malvern Star - free to good home

Postby Leaf T » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Nice gesture Adam. If no takers here then CERES bike shed might be an option if you email them.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:48 pm

Adam, some pictures would probably generate some more interest: http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23303

Also, I'm not sure what the restrictions are, but you could post it in the marketplace section of the forum to get a wider audience.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:05 pm

ReSikeling wrote:Hi,

My father-in-law is removing a lot of his old possessions with an eye to down sizing their place. As part of this, he has asked us to pass on his circa mid 1970s Malvern Star bicycle. This bike is is reasonable nick for its age (no significant rust, no serious dints or broken sections) though I would do a fair bit of work on it before I would ride it. It has a five speed rear group set but no front derailleur (only single front cog). The frame has a sticker on the bottom of the pedal hub which says "M145925" which I assume is the manufacturing serial number. (I found another post on this forum and there are some people on these groups that now an awe inspiring amount about such things, so I will leave this to people that know far more than me).

I am hoping to find someone who would value something like this bike as it is, based on what little I do know, it is a small piece of Australian cycling history. It is free to anyone who can pick it up from my place in Melbourne.

Adam
Wondering if this (remote possibility) is still floating around..am very interested as have someone who wants a 70s Malvern Star commuter.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote: Wondering if this (remote possibility) is still floating around..am very interested as have someone who wants a 70s Malvern Star commuter.
Adam haven`t been back from his only post from June`17.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:53 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote: Wondering if this (remote possibility) is still floating around..am very interested as have someone who wants a 70s Malvern Star commuter.
Adam haven`t been back from his only post from June`17.
Yeah sort of realised, but was worth posting, sounds like it would have been ideal for this project.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go