1960-1965 Motoconfort - French bicycles bring challenges

Stuntman

1960-1965 Motoconfort - French bicycles bring challenges

Postby Stuntman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:59 pm

For some reason I really like 60's/70's French bikes and I recently acquired this very nice 1960-1965ish Motoconfort as a little project to clean up and get going again. Given its age its in very good condition and I am itching to get it back on the road again. 8speed with 700c wheels but being French it brings a few challenges.

In particular a couple of issues so far

The Atom French threaded freewheel is notorious (and confirmed) for having a locking mechanism with shallow and weak lugs. Googled that after trying to remove it - now have an old dura-ace freewheel remover on its way in an attempt to remove it. I am hoping not to have to destroy to remove it as these are not super readily accessible (especially 4 speed French threaded ones).

The rear steel rigidia rims is losing its chrome - is it an option to re-chrome? (I think would not be an easy job to rechrome an already drilled rim)

The pedals are french threaded and one has lost its dust cap (Lyotard - I think model 36) and is quite stiff. Thankfully they are rebuild-able but I am concerned that the stiff one may not be able to be recovered. A question for the experts - would it be better to tap out to 9/16th or are French threaded pedals more readily accessible (for a reasonable price) than the 'bay would reveal. 9/16th threaded Lyotards on the other hand are readily available

cheers, Shawn

Image -catalog image from velobase
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

WyvernRH

Re: 1960-1965 Motoconfort - French bicycles bring challenges

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:30 pm

French threaded pedals are widely available on E-bay, mainly from France (not surprising I suppose) so you will have to battle e-Bay's crappy search engine or go direct to the French e-Bay site. Be prepared for the freewheel to be French threaded as well if you want to replace it. You will almost certainly have a French threaded bottom bracket - r/h thread both sides and a slightly different diameter.
Headset and fork steerer are probably French size and thread as well, slightly smaller than 'normal'; also the quill stem insert will be of a smaller diameter as well. Bars are also probably of French smaller diameter.

I have an early Peugeot that had all these exciting differences....

What sort of remover does the Atom freewheel have? Is it the small splined remover that requires the axle to be removed or the two pin type?

Richard

PS oh I forgot, weird seat post size almost a certainty :)

Stuntman

Re: 1960-1965 Motoconfort - French bicycles bring challenges

Postby Stuntman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:24 pm

Thanks Richard,
Yes I have been battling eBay's search functionality and I am I now trolling through French eBay - French threaded pedals are certainly available. Thanks for the lead.

Interestingly Motoconfort typically used Swiss threaded bottom brackets to add to the fun. I am yet to confirm this - but its what I am expecting.

The freewheel is almost certainly French threaded and is a two pin type. The dura ace remover has a guide ring that helps stop the tool from slipping and destroying the locking ring. So hopefully this will remove it without much further trouble.

I did a Peugeot Mixte last year - although it was a slightly more modern one (1978) - so not quite as challenging but still had its special quirkyness with sizing. This bike is in really quite good condition - hopefully it won't need too much.

Any tips for looking after the saddle?

Shawn
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,