What to do with Nuovo Record crankset

HausFinch

What to do with Nuovo Record crankset

Postby HausFinch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:48 pm

I also posted this question in the Bike Shed forum, but thought maybe better to ask here.

I've just taken off one of my favorite parts to my old lugged Columbus steel road bike. It seems the crank has got the beginnings of a tiny crack where the spider meets the arm. The question I have now is . . . what do I do with it? Frame it? Hang it on the wall as a reminder of all the miles we did together? I can't chuck it in the bin but it's not right to leave it sitting in a box in the garage for my kid to have to throw away someday. What would you do with such an artifact? It still looks beautiful, hardly a scratch on it.
Just wonderin. Thanks for your opinions.

GaryF

Re: What to do with Nuovo Record crankset

Postby GaryF » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:01 pm

It depends on how far the crack has travelled between the spider and the arm. It may be worth trying to file a radius (if possible) into the crank to eliminate the crack and discourage the future development of a new crack.

You could keep using the cranks.

It is quite common for the old Nuovo/Super cranks to develop cracks in this place.

HausFinch

Postby HausFinch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks Gary. I had forgotten about that stopgap drilling/filing fracture prevention technique. My hesitation with doing that is it kind of violates the beauty of the object. I've already replaced it functionally with a vintage Dura Ace 7402 crank I had bought as a spare, which matches the other Dura Ace components on the bike. So in my mind the Campy crank is now more of a sentimental souvenir rather than something I want to get more use out of. So I was wondering what people do with the old stuff they feel attached to. It's not museum quality, but not right to melt it down either, it seems. Does anyone have a display case with classic bits in it? A "shadow box" on the wall maybe?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:16 pm

I've just filed out the crack in the past and had no issues. I dont know why Campagnolo continued with the design for so many years.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:25 pm

HausFinch wrote:Thanks Gary. I had forgotten about that stopgap drilling/filing fracture prevention technique. My hesitation with doing that is it kind of violates the beauty of the object. I've already replaced it functionally with a vintage Dura Ace 7402 crank I had bought as a spare, which matches the other Dura Ace components on the bike. So in my mind the Campy crank is now more of a sentimental souvenir rather than something I want to get more use out of. So I was wondering what people do with the old stuff they feel attached to. It's not museum quality, but not right to melt it down either, it seems. Does anyone have a display case with classic bits in it? A "shadow box" on the wall maybe?

I used to keep all sorts of redundant stuff mainly because found it/them interesting and my passion for some brands got a bit obsessive. Some how and in some way i seem to have thinned out this type of excess stuff over the past ten years. Where did it go? Old age is a curse at times.