Gordon1 wrote:
Torana68 wrote:Was that the blue one?

Yeap. Blue with black. BSA hubs and pedals

Correction light blue and dark blue. Damn auto correct and not paying attention

Torana68

Re: Speedwell appreciation society

Postby Torana68 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:30 am

Ok,
I can tell you , "G" numbers assend numerically , but not in sequence, so G28285 is older than yours and I said somewhere from '35 with '37 doubtfull (very) this one would be no older than '36 no newer than '37. Some of the info the museum had was based on what they were told , sometimes its right sometimes not quite. The more info I get the better I can date things, with Speedwell I have a couple of "one owners" some with dated cranks and info on others the same. I only have the Museums mug shot of that bike could you take some detail picks and send? If its easier Ive moved the old "Ozpushies" onto facebook, you can share the photos there? (do a Facebook search)
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:40 am

Torana68 wrote:Ok,
I can tell you , "G" numbers assend numerically , but not in sequence, so G28285 is older than yours and I said somewhere from '35 with '37 doubtfull (very) this one would be no older than '36 no newer than '37. Some of the info the museum had was based on what they were told , sometimes its right sometimes not quite. The more info I get the better I can date things, with Speedwell I have a couple of "one owners" some with dated cranks and info on others the same. I only have the Museums mug shot of that bike could you take some detail picks and send? If its easier Ive moved the old "Ozpushies" onto facebook, you can share the photos there? (do a Facebook search)

Thanks for that. I am aware of some inaccuracies in the information of the defunct museum which is why I was curious as to your thoughts. Some info handed down is plain wrong and then gets distorted. Having said that the price was well and truly right when I purchased so I'm happy to have it, regardless of what age it us. The nickel plating alone was worth more than the asking price.

If you could pm me your email I will get some better photos to you. I only have one good one readily available but could get more.....and no I abhor Facebook so no joy there.

Aphrodites

ADVICE PLEASE x

Postby Aphrodites » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:06 pm

Hi everyone,
Just scored this baby and wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it? The closest I could find similar appears to be a step through bike with "Brownie" on the crossbar.
And would we restore it or sell it?

Thanks for reading. Will attempt to post pix.

Aphrodites

how do I post???

Postby Aphrodites » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:42 am

:shock:

Aphrodites

Postby Aphrodites » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:45 am

How do I post something and a photo? Please help! Just got something I reckon people could comment on for my better education.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:57 am

Aphrodites wrote:How do I post something and a photo? Please help! Just got something I reckon people could comment on for my better education.

Well lit and sharply focused images are needed, so other readers can see what you are discussing. Images need to be hosted online and the image linked with an image tag as explained in this thread. If you have trouble posting Flickr images look here. Images hosted on Facebook don’t work.

Aphrodites

New Old Speedwell advice please...

Postby Aphrodites » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi all,

I have this old Speedwell and am looking for any guidance as to it's vintage, etc.
The most similar I've see online was a "Brownie" Ladies bike from the 50's I think.

What kind of expense to fix it up, and/or what would it be worth now as is?

Thanks guys,
Nicole.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Maybe early seventies, probably an offshore frame .
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Yes, early 1970's. Speedwell. Dollarwise, it's not worth anything.

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:23 am

Great thread and information, I love Speedwell's. I get a lot of comments about riding my Speedwell in Victoria due to it being Malvern Star country.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752