Gordon1 wrote:
Torana68 wrote:Was that the blue one?

Yeap. Blue with black. BSA hubs and pedals

Correction light blue and dark blue. Damn auto correct and not paying attention

Torana68

Re: Speedwell appreciation society

Postby Torana68 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:30 am

Ok,
I can tell you , "G" numbers assend numerically , but not in sequence, so G28285 is older than yours and I said somewhere from '35 with '37 doubtfull (very) this one would be no older than '36 no newer than '37. Some of the info the museum had was based on what they were told , sometimes its right sometimes not quite. The more info I get the better I can date things, with Speedwell I have a couple of "one owners" some with dated cranks and info on others the same. I only have the Museums mug shot of that bike could you take some detail picks and send? If its easier Ive moved the old "Ozpushies" onto facebook, you can share the photos there? (do a Facebook search)
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

Gordon1

Re: Speedwell appreciation society

Postby Gordon1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:40 am

Torana68 wrote:Ok,
I can tell you , "G" numbers assend numerically , but not in sequence, so G28285 is older than yours and I said somewhere from '35 with '37 doubtfull (very) this one would be no older than '36 no newer than '37. Some of the info the museum had was based on what they were told , sometimes its right sometimes not quite. The more info I get the better I can date things, with Speedwell I have a couple of "one owners" some with dated cranks and info on others the same. I only have the Museums mug shot of that bike could you take some detail picks and send? If its easier Ive moved the old "Ozpushies" onto facebook, you can share the photos there? (do a Facebook search)

Thanks for that. I am aware of some inaccuracies in the information of the defunct museum which is why I was curious as to your thoughts. Some info handed down is plain wrong and then gets distorted. Having said that the price was well and truly right when I purchased so I'm happy to have it, regardless of what age it us. The nickel plating alone was worth more than the asking price.

If you could pm me your email I will get some better photos to you. I only have one good one readily available but could get more.....and no I abhor Facebook so no joy there.