My Bikes - Re-Posting a few photos.

GaryF

Re: My Bikes - Re-Posting a few photos.

Postby GaryF » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:05 pm

Marbevoc wrote:Hi,

I live in Belgium and have exactly the same bike, though in a poor condition, i'm planning to restore it.
The bikes are Colnago Super from 1991 and were used by the Belgian Team 'Collstrop - Isoglass'.
As you have described it, it seemed to be completely original with the Suntour group.

Regards,

Alex
Thanks Alex, your information is really welcome.

I guess you are referring to this bike:

When I came across it, it was equipped with a full Suntour Superbe Pro groupset. I replaced the groupset with a Campagnolo groupset to match my other Colnago's even though I highly respect the Suntour equipment. I fitted the Suntour gruppo to a good old Pinarello that is more of a daily rider.

My Colnago is in poor condition too. Perhaps the Collstrop - Isoglass team entered too many torturous races that left their bikes quite battle scared - haha.

I'd love to see a photograph of your bike. Thanks for sharing your information, it really made my day much better.

Gary.

sli123

Postby sli123 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:22 pm

I have just finished reading this thread and what an excellent read it is. I'm a bit late to the party I know, but thanks for sharing your sensational collection of bikes and the stories behind them GaryF.

Sounds like you might not live too far away from my parents who reside in Bargara these days. A very pleasant spot.

Cheers,
Stuart.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:34 pm

sli123 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:22 pm
I have just finished reading this thread and what an excellent read it is. I'm a bit late to the party I know, but thanks for sharing your sensational collection of bikes and the stories behind them GaryF.

Sounds like you might not live too far away from my parents who reside in Bargara these days. A very pleasant spot.

Cheers,
Stuart.
Thanks Stuart. I decided to give a brief explanation of my bikes when I was suffering an injury just for something to do. It did get out of hand though but it was fun. Believe it or not, I used to have twice the number of bikes but I had to sell half of them off due to a move close to where your parents live. I do know Bargara quite well but I do live in Hervey Bay now.

I have suffered another bad injury to both my feet and cannot ride anymore so my bike collection is unfortunately neglected. I should pass them on to new owners but I have a lifetime's love of bikes to overcome.

Thanks very much Stuart for your message, it was receiver with much appreciation.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:57 pm

One of my favourite threads, and seeing it dredged made me go though all of them again.

Still can't choose a favourite though.

8)
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:09 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:57 pm

As if it's not the Rossin.

...or one of the Colnagos.

Actually that Bianchi is pretty nice.

OK, I see what you mean.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:46 pm

Hi 10speedsemiracer and P!N20 how are you guys? I forgot about this thread too. I had to re-read it yesterday and I really still can't decide which is my favourite bike. What a problem to have - haha.

I hope you and your families are coping with the Covid 19 pandemic but I suppose it's a tough time to live through? My best wishes to everyone going through hard times.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:10 pm

Hi GaryF,

Thanks for the kind wishes.

I've noticed something (can't believe it took me this long), in that you cable your bikes up in Euro format, i.e. LH > front brake and RH > rear brake. Not a common sight in Aus.

:o

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:38 pm

GaryF wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:46 pm
Hi 10speedsemiracer and P!N20 how are you guys?

Hi Gary, all good down here in Mexico! Sorry to hear you’re still banged up, just send your collection down to me and I’ll make sure nothing seizes up :P

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:28 am

P!N20 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:38 pm
GaryF wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:46 pm
Hi 10speedsemiracer and P!N20 how are you guys?

Hi Gary, all good down here in Mexico! Sorry to hear you’re still banged up, just send your collection down to me and I’ll make sure nothing seizes up :P
Very pleased to read that you are okay.

Haha and thanks for the offer of maintaining the bikes - very kind of you. Without any comical undertones, you are someone I would trust with my bikes as your love and knowledge of this era of bicycle is impressive.

This brings up a problem I have not come to terms with as yet. Sending/posting a bicycle safely across Australia??? I suppose a courier is the answer but it must be expensive? Probably a question for another day.

Great to catch-up.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:04 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:10 pm
Hi GaryF,

I've noticed something (can't believe it took me this long), in that you cable your bikes up in Euro format, i.e. LH > front brake and RH > rear brake. Not a common sight in Aus.

Hahaha - I love this configuration most probably because I'm left handed but it's something I did consider many years ago. I found it was just a natural way for me to operate the brakes and it was also the way most "pros" configured their bikes back then. The old Campy Record brake callipers (my groupset choice) also 'work' best with this configuration as the (front) cable routing seems to have a more natural bend with LH front and RH rear.

If I did come across a bike with the brake cabling the other way around it just didn't feel right so I would swap the routing around to suit my 'feel'.

Just thinking back, I didn't use my brakes all that much so it was good to have that 'go to' position when braking was necessary and the front brake was needed in a hurry. I did commute for quite a few years on track bikes where I didn't have a handbrake so I was probably more in-tune with the road conditions in the built-up areas I may be riding through. Riding a track bike in a city takes the 'next level' of concentration which, I suppose, carries over to the times you are on a braked bike?

Best wishes 10speedsemiracer.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:48 am

P!N20 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:09 pm
10speedsemiracer wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:57 pm

As if it's not the Rossin.

...or one of the Colnagos.

Actually that Bianchi is pretty nice.

OK, I see what you mean.
:lol:

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:00 pm

GaryF wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:04 am
10speedsemiracer wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:10 pm
Hi GaryF,

Hahaha - I love this configuration most probably because I'm left handed but it's something I did consider many years ago. I found it was just a natural way for me to operate the brakes and it was also the way most "pros" configured their bikes back then. The old Campy Record brake callipers (my groupset choice) also 'work' best with this configuration as the (front) cable routing seems to have a more natural bend with LH front and RH rear.

If I did come across a bike with the brake cabling the other way around it just didn't feel right so I would swap the routing around to suit my 'feel'.

Just thinking back, I didn't use my brakes all that much so it was good to have that 'go to' position when braking was necessary and the front brake was needed in a hurry. I did commute for quite a few years on track bikes where I didn't have a handbrake so I was probably more in-tune with the road conditions in the built-up areas I may be riding through. Riding a track bike in a city takes the 'next level' of concentration which, I suppose, carries over to the times you are on a braked bike?

Best wishes 10speedsemiracer.
Cool bananas. Hope you're doing well.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:13 am

This is a great thread Gary. I’m glad it was resurrected because rereading it is both a pleasure and informative at the same time.

They are all beautiful bikes but hearing some of the stories associated with them really adds to the picture.

If you were so inclined, I would love to see a few more pics of the De Grandi track. I think it is a little under represented in this thread so far.

Sorry to hear that you aren’t getting out for a spin.

Cheers
Tim

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:28 am

Imwit wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:13 am
This is a great thread Gary. I’m glad it was resurrected because rereading it is both a pleasure and informative at the same time.

They are all beautiful bikes but hearing some of the stories associated with them really adds to the picture.

If you were so inclined, I would love to see a few more pics of the De Grandi track. I think it is a little under represented in this thread so far.

Sorry to hear that you aren’t getting out for a spin.

Cheers
Tim
Thanks a lot Tim. The DeGrandi, as I have said, holds a special place in my heart. It's not only a well built and fantastic bike to ride, it has the name of the family and bike shop that featured so heavily in my past. Shane deGrandi and his dad held a wealth of first hand Campagnolo and Colnago knowledge and the DeGrandi shop had many, many years of Aussie bike history as well as stock.

Here are a couple of photos of the DeGrandi track bike:

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:49 pm

Lovely bike Gary.
Are there any clues as to when it was made?
I’ve got a theory about George MacDonald built frames which is that they all seemed to have very long seat stay caps. I’m not sure if it is right or if he might have changed the style later in his career. Just putting it out there for discussion

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:06 am

GaryF wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:44 pm
Ocean Grove to Broadmeadows - a bike or bike and train excursion daily. Looking back, it was such great fun.
Plus I can’t let this slip by...
Ocean Grove to Broadmeadows????!!!
That is one massive commute.

I have so many questions. Like how? & how long did it take & did you have any energy left for work & did you win the Warny that year? etc..

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:07 pm

Imwit wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:06 am
GaryF wrote:
Ocean Grove to Broadmeadows - a bike or bike and train excursion daily. Looking back, it was such great fun.
Plus I can’t let this slip by...
Ocean Grove to Broadmeadows????!!!
That is one massive commute.

I have so many questions. Like how? & how long did it take & did you have any energy left for work & did you win the Warny that year? etc..
If you want to know; If you really want to know.....read on.

It was a big commute. This was back in 1984 and 1985. I usually only rode the whole journey one day per week but I would have to leave home at 3:30am and arrive around 8:30am or a little earlier if I could. Going home I'd leave around 4:00pm and arrive into the evening somewhere past 9:00pm. This full return trip I only did every couple of weeks. My best travel time was around 5 hours. This journey took me through Geelong and along the Geelong-Melbourne road to a little past Laverton where I would turn off to go through Sunshine and head towards the back of Broadmeadows West and on to my school where I was a teacher. Today, my approximate route sort of followed the new Western Ring Road route only a little further west. There are a couple of really steep climbs that way but it is shorter. I'm no climber so I found (the painful way) that I had to be careful of my knees on these climbs and I tackled them in my low gears such as 42 - 18.

Strangely enough, I never measured the actual distance of the commute and, to this day, I've no idea just how far it was.

My bike at the time was a red 1979 Daccordi SL with a 5 speed corncob block ranging from 12 to 18 (from memory) and either a 52 - 42 or 53 - 42 front rings. I remember wanting a 53 ring for the Geelong - Melbourne road as there was no bike shoulder back then and you were with the trucks and cars on the edge of the left lane - scary but very fast. I'd get sucked along by the traffic at a really fast pace hence the need for a slightly bigger chain ring.

The Daccordi was equipped with a Campagnolo Nuovo Record groupset with a Turbo saddle and Cinelli 1A stem and Cinelli Giro d'Italia bars. The wheels were smooth rolling with Mavic GP4 with Campy Record hubs and a 5 speed block as mentioned and pretty narrow tubulars. I learnt to repair tubular tyres pretty quickly but I liked the low rolling resistance of a high pressure and tight tubular tyre. I bought the Daccordi secondhand from Ken Evans in Geelong and he told me it was originally imported into South Australia. My first Italian bike and where my love of Campagnolo and Italian bikes began.

The scariest part of either ride was riding home from Geelong to Ocean Grove after dark and in the rain. The road was mostly a single lane (each way) with no bike lane. I was convinced that I would be hit by a car but luckily it never happened.

I did have lots of near misses and the occasional hit (usually a LH rear view mirror) or graze really and occasionally being ridden off the road. I remember once I was minding my own business on the ride from Geelong to Laverton when I was passed quite closely by a big semi. His 'wash' (like Maverick in Top Gun) picked me and the bike up and lifted me sideways off the road about 6 feet. I remained upright but was in the scrub on the edge of the side of the road but luckily I managed to ride back to the road surface without falling. The rest of that ride was interesting and luckily I had a change of underwear.

I had a Sanyo dynamo lighting system as well as a rear battery lamp (which went through D cells quite quickly. I also had my bike and backpack littered with reflective tape I was able to source from marine stores back then. I found the Sanyo dynamo system was the brightest and most economical but it did drag on the back wheel and often the roller needed road crud to be scraped from the surface.

I remember one particular guy in a dump truck and trailer with a bob cat occasionally encroaching in on me and running me off the road, over the course of the two years, on the Geelong - Ocean Grove road. I did manage to track him down but the 'hero' wouldn't come to the door so I told his wife that my next move would be the police. He didn't do it again. Poor woman having a gutless wonder for a husband.

I was always very conscious of my road demeanour. I stopped at every red light and pedestrian crossing. Always give hand-signals and endeavoured remain in my lane and to be predictable. I thought it was good publicity to follow road rules and to show car drivers courtesy. I always tried to give car drivers a wave it they went out of their way to let me through, etc.

My usual commute was to leave home at 4:00am to ride into Geelong and catch the train to Spencer Street, Melbourne. From there I would ride to Broadmeadows (The old Broady Tech school) and arrive at somewhere around 8:00am. Most of these days I would go to the Broady pool for a swim before work. I had to leave early just incase I got a puncture or a mechanical problem. I carried a big backpack with my clothes for work and wet weather plus tools, some food and spares. On my 'big' ride, I did very rarely hit a food-flat where I just couldn't go any further without a bite to eat. Strangely this was around Laverton for some reason - but it only happened to me about 3 times over the two years.

Time-wise there wasn't a great deal of difference between the full ride and the ride-train-ride, rides. I'd just leave home about a half hour earlier on the 'big' ride days. Waiting for the train did take a little time as I had to factor in a stop for a mechanical problem so I couldn't arrive just as the train was getting to the station.

Only once was it raining too hard to continue past Geelong I reported to a Geelong school for work that day. On wet days I was lucky enough to store my bike in a small heater room. The bike and my clothes would dry out. Usually shorts and undies, socks and shoes and my tee shirt. No bike nicks back then, just a pair of footy shorts. On top I had a great gortex jacket that did breath a bit so I stayed basically dry on top except for sweat of course.

In 1986 I was posted to Hoppers Crossing Secondary College and the commute was much shorter. I did measure that distance which was pretty close to 80Km. I could ride that on a good day in pretty well 2 hours exactly. I moved to Werribee the following year where my long distance commuting came to an end. I was now only 15km from work - a mere sprint. I did go for the 100km ride on Saturday or Sunday just for the fun of it. I did this commute for a number of years until the in the last 3 years sciatic hip pain saw me relegate the commuter bikes to the growing collection where I could sit back and admire them as an art form. One night I road home in pain after work and thought to myself, "I can't do this anymore." so I parked the bike and never commuted again - this was in the early 2000's.

As you asked about the 'Warny' I never really had the time to compete with a club but I did have my 'Kilometre' measured out on my way to work. On my road bike with my backpack and going to work I occasionally did a track stand at the start of my kilometre and time myself over the kilometre. At an age of around 40 I could still manage a 1min 8 1/2 second time. I don't really know how this compares with anyone but that's the only indication of my racing ability. It may be fast or slow but that was just me comparing myself to me.

I was a little older and I now had the means to be able to get a 'new' (secondhand) bike when I got a little weary of riding one particular bike after about a year. I had always commuted to work by bike for 10 years prior to the big commute to Broady and for a good 15 years after Broady and my favourite bike choice was a track bike. I've still got a couple of track bikes that I really love.

I have always commuted by bike and I did have 10 or so years of commuting by bike before my big commute period. I think I had one year off when I worked in Mildura. Mildura as just a little far for a bike commute, haha. Mildura did spell the beginning of the end for my old car though. The year prior to this big commute period of my life I did ride 25km to work and 25 km home in the evenings. This was probably the groundwork needed to step up to the next level.

Anyway, I fondly look back on my commuting years as I suppose you do as well. Bikes are so ingrained in many of us and it's they are a wonderful highlight in anyone's life. Thanks for the interest Imwit and I bet you have a similar story to tell.
Last edited by GaryF on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:59 am, edited 10 times in total.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:41 pm

So many emotions reading that, but mostly utter admiration that you commuted 200km+ in terrifying traffic conditions on a 5 speed block wearing footy shorts.

GaryF wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:07 pm
Strangely enough, I never measured the actual distance of the commute and, to this day, I've no idea just how far it was.

Just a lazy 106km by car.

GaryF wrote:
I tackled them in my low gears such as 42 - 18.

That's pretty much my high gear. That's not true though is it, Gary? Because I'm pretty sure you never shifted out of the big ring.

Gary's block was 11, 11, 11, 11, 18...and the 18 was clean as a whistle.

(I could go on all day.)

Can't wait for the movie.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:54 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:41 pm
So many emotions reading that, but mostly utter admiration that you commuted 200km+ in terrifying traffic conditions on a 5 speed block wearing footy shorts.

GaryF wrote:

Just a lazy 106km by car.

GaryF wrote:
I tackled them in my low gears such as 42 - 18.

That's pretty much my high gear.

Can't wait for the movie.
Hahaha - you know you'd do it to if you had to.

The full story involves me becoming a teacher - a job I had desired for about 8 years and the poor pay, long miles, a car that gave up the ghost, no money to replace it and a general struggle to with finances. And a Victorian Education Dept. with no compassion.

There was a teaching job in Geelong for a person of my expertise and they couldn't fill the position for about 4 years during my big commuting period. They wouldn't place me there because they didn't want to give me a placement I might want just incase they needed to transfer me somewhere in the future - without a word of a lie and directly, face to face, with the head of teacher staffing.

106km - I didn't know that. Doesn't sound all that much. What am I complaining about, haha.

Shifting gear - with friction shifters - it's not going to happen (often). I think I've still got the same small ring on a bike and it's in pretty good condition.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:01 pm

GaryF wrote:

Which was my favourite? Eventually I had my Supercorsa pecking order: Red, then Blue then White. My only problem being a lack of funds. That's why I was riding such long distances daily - no money for a car. Ocean Grove to Broadmeadows - a bike or bike and train excursion daily. Looking back, it was such great fun.

I missed this little detail as well, not sure how.

That is jaw-droppingly amazing, Remembering how feral some of the arterial roads of Melbourne were in that timeframe, I'm even more stunned.
That's a helluva average speed you managed there Gary.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:29 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:01 pm
GaryF wrote:

Which was my favourite? Eventually I had my Supercorsa pecking order: Red, then Blue then White. My only problem being a lack of funds. That's why I was riding such long distances daily - no money for a car. Ocean Grove to Broadmeadows - a bike or bike and train excursion daily. Looking back, it was such great fun.

I missed this little detail as well, not sure how.

That is jaw-droppingly amazing, Remembering how feral some of the arterial roads of Melbourne were in that timeframe, I'm even more stunned.
That's a helluva average speed you managed there Gary.
Hi 10speed... , My average speed riding from Ocean Grove to Hoppers Crossing made me sit up and think too. Pretty well 80 kilometres in pretty well 2 Hours - that's an average of 40kph. What!!?? But it happened quite often - not all the time but quite often. Riding to Geelong and through Geelong was pretty mundane but the ride along the highway from Geelong to Hoppers Crossing was surprisingly quick during the peak hours as the traffic generally sat on 100kph and you could really feel the toe it gave you being so close to the trucks and cars. I really did chase a 53 tooth chainring to take advantage of the conditions and I did like a freewheel with a 12 tooth sprocket. I reckon I was doing around 50kph on the highway stretch. It felt great. After work, the ride back to Geelong wasn't anywhere near as fast and I did catch the train when I wasn't feeling up to it.

As the ride to Broadmeadows was across Melbourne for much of the ride, naturally my average speed must have dropped dramatically. 5 hours on the bike then 5 and a bit hours home on occasions did sort me out. I only did this once a fortnight.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:35 pm

Am in awe.

I thought I was a hardass at 15-16yo when I used to ride 1hr to train with the Senior squad for 2hrs, and then ride home again (unless one of the Seniors gave me and the Raleigh a ride home). That would happen Tues and Thurs during the season, and by Friday I was falling asleep in class.

But that's nothing in comparison to your Leyland Bros trek.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:06 pm

Imwit wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:49 pm
Lovely bike Gary.
I’ve got a theory about George MacDonald built frames which is that they all seemed to have very long seat stay caps. I’m not sure if it is right or if he might have changed the style later in his career. Just putting it out there for discussion
It IS a lovely bike, too!
My bikes' frames were both made by George McDonald. When picking one up from Kevin Wigham after painting he said to Gordo Hill, "Y'know, you can always tell George's frames: the brake bridge is crooked!"
That's certainly true of mine. It's not obvious, but it's there.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:13 pm

nemo57 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:06 pm
Imwit wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:49 pm
Lovely bike Gary.
It IS a lovely bike, too!
My bikes' frames were both made by George McDonald. When picking one up from Kevin Wigham after painting he said to Gordo Hill, "Y'know, you can always tell George's frames: the brake bridge is crooked!"
That's certainly true of mine. It's not obvious, but it's there.
Thanks nemo57. I'll have to remember to check the brake bridge. To be perfectly honest Shane DeGrandi wasn't 100% sure that George built this bike frame but he was pretty certain. I must say that Shane did have quite a fantastic memory and easily recalled all sorts of obscure bike information. Either that or he was a convincing lier with a habit of guessing correctly, haha.

LATE UPDATE: You know what nemo57, the rear brake bridge does seem to be slightly our of 'square' to the centreline of the frame - just slightly. I never noticed that before. You know that's going to bother me from now on, haha.
Last edited by GaryF on Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:23 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:35 pm
Am in awe.

I thought I was a hardass at 15-16yo when I used to ride 1hr to train with the Senior squad for 2hrs, and then ride home again (unless one of the Seniors gave me and the Raleigh a ride home). That would happen Tues and Thurs during the season, and by Friday I was falling asleep in class.

But that's nothing in comparison to your Leyland Bros trek.
Hahaha, falling asleep in class. I'd give you the strap for that.

Hey, any 15 to 16 year old that can do that IS a HARDASS!!! You know, I don't think a whopping milage is the be all and end all of developing cycling speed and endurance, I think what you intelligently put into your training is the most important ingredient. Plus plenty of adequate rest. I never rested well as I didn't have the time but I actually operate on an average of 5 to 6 hours sleep even now and I was around 30 years of age.

See ya hardass.
Last edited by GaryF on Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.