My Bikes - Re-Posting a few photos.

GaryF

Re: My Bikes - Re-Posting a few photos.

Postby GaryF » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:31 pm

That's one thing to be thankful for, for suffering this heat, haha.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:58 pm

I don't want to end this long winded and indulgent little look into my bike story on that silly little crack in my previous reply. Sorry 10speedsemiracer.

What I'd like to say is thankyou to everyone that took the time to look at this thread whether it was a big look or a little look. I'd also like to thank everyone that participated in this thread - it really was much more fun with your insight, questions, comments, tails, photos as I really enjoyed the contact. Where I live, I swear I'm the only person with an interest in classic bicycles so it's been a real pleasure for me.

Believe it or not, I was only ever going to post a few bicycle 'group shots' of my little collection. Hahaha, It didn't take much for me to start dribbling on about individual bikes thanks to a few people asking for a little more.

Whether you liked my bikes or not doesn't really matter. What really matters is that there is this outlet and coming together of like minded bike nuts. It's really interesting that within this little microcosm of the Aussie bicycle forums there is still such a diverse range of interests and knowledge. And, it's always supportive and tolerant too.

A huge thankyou to the administrators and moderators that keep Bicycles Network Australia ticking over.

Thanks everyone.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:36 pm

Can only speak for myself, but I wanted to thank you for sharing something as personal as your collection and the stories behind it. I thoroughly enjoyed each instalment, thank you again.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:07 pm

I hear what you're thinking, "Where has Gary been and why is he inundating us with all this stuff?".

Well, I've been working hard these past few years but old age and past injuries are catching up with me. I've found myself sitting around with very little to do and my brain is starting to 'loose it'. So, why suffer on my own? Why not have others suffer with me?

Thats' a bit like me but with more hair.

Hahaha - thats where you come in. You're now suffering with me and having to put up with my ramblings. Sorry about that.

Update: Oh, I'm sure you're interested and relieved to know that I am back at work.
Last edited by GaryF on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:05 pm

Glad to hear that you're back up and about. Can empathize with the injury catching up thing, am in the middle of this right now.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:14 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Glad to hear that you're back up and about. Can empathize with the injury catching up thing, am in the middle of this right now.
I really hope your old injury is manageable and you can get on top of it soon. Best wishes.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:54 pm

I have really enjoyed this thread. I am building a little collection myself which in due time I will show on here. At the moment there is still much work to be done on the bikes. I am still learning and so I have valued the expertise shown here. Gary your bikes are simply perfect in every way, to the smallest detail. Incredible.
My dad was a bike rider and passed away a year ago next Tuesday. I have his 1960 Cinelli road bike and his 1950s Bismire track bike. They need to be stripped down and cleaned and reassembled. But they will stay original with all the components dad had on them.
I plan to make 4 bikes as perfect as I can and put them in shows. They are:
1) 1981 Royal Star with Gran Sport gruppo and Fiamme wheels, handlebars and Fiamme stem
2) 1980ish Lennie Rogers with Zeus gruppo and Titan bars and stem. Arc-en-ciel rims.
3) 1980ish Paul Blom with Galli gruppo, Ambrosio bars and stem, Ambrosio wheels.
4) 1930s SJH single speed roady with inch pitch running gear, Major Taylor stem and bars.
All 4 resprayed and restickered with mostly NOS parts. Dad had Royal Star bikes and was friends with Blommy and the other Sydney builders.
The following 3 look amazing but would not win shows because the parts are used and the frames are a bit chipped. Nevertheless i would put them on display because I think they look amazing.
5) 1991 Fausto Coppi aluminium with Campag Athena triple crankset 8 speed, Chorus brakes, Cinelli bars and stem, Mavic Cosmic wheels.
6) 1950s Faggin with full Campag Chorus 8 speed gruppo, Cinelli bars and stem, Campag Vento wheels
7) Eddy Merckx Panasonic with Dura-Ace AX gruppo. Not sure of wheels yet.
Others in the pipeline
8 ) 1983 Sekai with Nitto adjustable handlebar stem, Kusuki bars, Suntour shifters, MKS pedals, Sr cranks, Araya wheels ...basically an All-Jap showpiece
9) 1940 Slim Ward Satellite with Simplex gears, Airlite hubs, Weinman rims and brakes, possibly GB bars and stem. My dad and Slim were best mates so this will hang next to dads bikes.
10) 1990 Lotus Sport 110 monocoque TT bike running 10 speed Shimano, bar end shifters, Flite TT saddle, Xtreme Tri-Spoke wheels. This is a beautiful copy of the iconic Z bike made by David Lane in Qld in 1990. Been resprayed in gloss black. Its a head turner but not for the officionados.

Sorry to derail the thread but it seems to be dying down and I want to keep people talking on here.

I had a thought when reading some of your posts Gary that you might enjoy my book. Its basically a history of Six Day track cycling in the Golden Years of the 40s, 50s and 60s. 344 photos in it. Its a biography of my uncles career but I think you may like it. Real steel bikes, real hard men, amazing anecdotes and stories about all the great champions of those times.
If you want a copy, email me at arnoldcycling@gmail.com

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi Derny Driver, as a matter of fact, I have your book and have read it from cover to cover. I really enjoyed it and learnt a lot. I do enjoy reading the odd Aussie cycling book and,like yours, it's usually written from a 'different' perspective. I suppose 6 day racing was right up the Aussies alley. Six days of hard slog and little sleep - no problems. Could I do it? Well, probably not, haha. But how I admire them.

I suppose they were involved and highly competitive in all cycling disciplines as well as being very reliable and always did their best. True Aussie spirit and your dad and uncle were part of that.

Boy, Derny Driver, you have an extensive list of mouth-watering bikes and I'm rubbing my hands together in anticipation of you displaying them in a thread too.

I am naturally drawn to your dad's Cinelli and his Bismire track bike must be special to you. With Zeus, Galli, Campagnolo, Titan, Fiamme, Ambrosio, Mavic, Simplex, Weinmann, etc. as well as all that Japanese stuff, you have everything covered.

Then there's Lennie Rogers, SJS, Faggin, Blom, Royal Star as well as Merckx, Coppi, Sekai and even a Lotus Sport that sounds quite special - Wow, what a line-up and diverse too. With a name like Slim Ward Satellite, I have to see that bike.

I've re-thought my anticipation of your future thread - I'd buy the book!!!!!

I love the era that your dad must have rode in and I just love the bikes from that era. I used to have a few from back then but circumstances required me to cull the collection so I concentrated on bikes I really wanted when I was starting out.

Thanks so much for your encouragement and support, I really appreciate that.

Gary.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks for your kind words Gary and for taking the time to reply. As you know my uncle rode Raleigh track bikes ..unfortunately none came home with him in 1963. In his later years he was sponsored by Fausto and rode Coppi track bikes - hence my want / need to own a Coppi of some description. The Coppi is my favourite and the one I ride if I do occasionally go for a ride.
Cheers mate

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:08 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Thanks for your kind words Gary and for taking the time to reply. As you know my uncle rode Raleigh track bikes ..unfortunately none came home with him in 1963. In his later years he was sponsored by Fausto and rode Coppi track bikes - hence my want / need to own a Coppi of some description. The Coppi is my favourite and the one I ride if I do occasionally go for a ride.
Cheers mate
Hi Derny Driver, you keep bringing up these wonderful names associated with the best of the best in cycling. I must admit that my attention was heightened when you mentioned that you had a Coppi bike. I have had a real fascination with Fausto Coppi and to read that your uncle was sponsored by him is really most interesting. Do you have any photos of your uncle with Fausto?

My fascination started when i came across an old bike with some early Campagnolo, Universal and Fiamme components on it. It had Suntour Decals all over it to. It was a funny green colour but my Bianchi Radar wasn't working then. I was offered it for free but, feeling sorry for the owner, I gave him $80, the contents of my pocket.

After about a day or two, I removed the Suntour decals to reveal the outlines of the old Bianchi original decals. Now the race was on to strip it down and clean everything up - but carefully does it.

I approached the guy I bought it off and he told me he got it given to him by his old Italian neighbour who brought it with him when he migrated from Italy.

It took me a couple of years to get it into a condition that I thought was close to original. I think it was a 1954/55 Bianchi Campione del Mondo examining all the components and examining all the photos I could find.

You know the other relevant part to this story - Yes, it was the same bike Fausto Coppi rode at this stage of his career. Thus my interest in Fausto Coppi.

I don't own this bike now but it is in the very best of hands. I sold it as it was 1cm too small for me and, at the time, I had to sell some bikes. I didn't realise that when I sold it I would enter a very sad state of depression for about 3 years. I'm over it now but it did hurt selling it and a couple of other bikes that had stolen my heart. Probably a little like the bond that you have with your father's bikes.

I hope the new owner doesn't mind if I post an old photo of the bike - he visits here sometimes. It's a bit different to look at now. I added my own little touches to it as I loved it, but they were my own touches and not the new owners. He bought it back to a more original state. One little touch of mine was the race number, I tried to copy Fausto's race number faithfully. The number he had attached to his Bianchi when he won the 1953 World championship:

I thought you might appreciate seeing it Derny Driver.

Oh yes, the Raleigh track bikes. Now there is a bike I have wanted all my life. It's just too bad he didn't return with one.

Thanks Derny Driver, thanks for your insight and stories.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun May 20, 2018 12:13 pm

More about me that isn't obvious. My forum avatar. My avatar isn't bicycle related but it does relate to another interest of mine, shooting. I use the logo for my favourite choice of rifle, a German made rifle by Sauer and Sohn.

I find the occasional visit to the local range to be very relaxing. Everything melts away and the total thought process is reduced to placing that little projectile into the middle of the target. I don't hunt but I do get my satisfaction from my range visits. Like my bicycle interest; I don't race but I do satisfy my bicycle experience by a beautiful ride around my home town.

To me, the overall aesthetics and mechanisms of the rifle and the reloading process have many similarities to our bicycle fascination. I really feel the beauty of the rifle and appreciate the engineering and materials that make-up the rifle. I can feel the way it related to the human body and how the two come together in a seemingly seamless union.

Like me, I suppose you have other obsessions that are akin to your bicycle interests?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun May 20, 2018 1:25 pm

I thought your avatar was a triskele.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun May 20, 2018 2:52 pm

P!N20 wrote:I thought your avatar was a triskele.
I like your avatar - that's one I'd steal, haha.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun May 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Interesting. Hadn't ever seen a 9.3mm Mauser before. And wasn't really aware of Sauer & Son as a long rifle maker, only knew about their handguns (SIG Sauer)..

Yours is really quite beautiful, and that's a hefty cartridge. Is it similar to the .375 ?

I had a sporterised Mauser 98 some 30-odd years ago, chambered in .308W but have long since parted with that and various other rifles. Had a soft spot for the Australian made Fieldman thumb-hole stock rifles (had them in .22lr and .22mag) and like yourself was only ever a range shooter, never really got into the hunting aspect.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun May 20, 2018 7:03 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Interesting. Hadn't ever seen a 9.3mm Mauser before. And wasn't really aware of Sauer & Son as a long rifle maker, only knew about their handguns (SIG Sauer)..

Yours is really quite beautiful, and that's a hefty cartridge. Is it similar to the .375 ?

I had a sporterised Mauser 98 some 30-odd years ago, chambered in .308W but have long since parted with that and various other rifles. Had a soft spot for the Australian made Fieldman thumb-hole stock rifles (had them in .22lr and .22mag) and like yourself was only ever a range shooter, never really got into the hunting aspect.
Sauer is the oldest recorded gunmaker in Germany and was founded in 1751. I love mine and love the rifle's ability to change barrels/calibers in well under a minute without the need for any tools. I have 3 barrels, 9.3 x 62, 270 Win. and 25-06. Changing barrels isn't a problem retaining 'zero' so I swap scopes with a change of barrel.

The 9.3 x 62 is not quite as powerful as the .375 but it is a great round to shoot as the recoil isn't as severe as the .375; it's like pushing or rocking you back when fired and is more easily absorbed. It was introduced in 1905 for use on large animal species and is quite popular now with samba deer hunters here in Australia.

I also know and highly respect the fantastic and super strong Mauser 98 and in possibly Australia's favourite .308 caliber it must have been some rifle. Those Fieldman stocks must have been very functional and beautiful to boot. I think every shooter should have a .22 caliber rifle just to hone your skills with cheap ammunition.

I, like all other shooters take my responsibility of owning a rifle very seriously. I like to keep my rifle handling skills sharp with regular practice and go way above Australia's already high standard of storage requirements.
Last edited by GaryF on Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun May 20, 2018 11:58 pm

GaryF wrote: I, like all other shooters take my responsibility of owning a rifle very seriously. I like to keep my rifle handling skills sharp with regular practice and go way above Australia's already high standard of storage requirements.
Renovating an old 1920 w/b cottage, and when removing the old concrete wash troft last year a brown paper bag dropped on the floor. Inside wrapped in grease paper was a loaded pistol with 5-6 in the magazine. Im not gun person a called the local police to collect. They collected and called back later to tell us a German had lived there in the 1950s and had permits for rifles but not the pistol. Was supprised at their records. It was WW2 pistol that looked well used and cared for. They offered to decommission and return, but i declined the offer, which every gun person i tell just shake there head in disgust :wink:

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon May 21, 2018 2:54 am

NASHIE wrote:
GaryF wrote: I, like all other shooters take my responsibility of owning a rifle very seriously. I like to keep my rifle handling skills sharp with regular practice and go way above Australia's already high standard of storage requirements.
Renovating an old 1920 w/b cottage, and when removing the old concrete wash troft last year a brown paper bag dropped on the floor. Inside wrapped in grease paper was a loaded pistol with 5-6 in the magazine. Im not gun person a called the local police to collect. They collected and called back later to tell us a German had lived there in the 1950s and had permits for rifles but not the pistol. Was supprised at their records. It was WW2 pistol that looked well used and cared for. They offered to decommission and return, but i declined the offer, which every gun person i tell just shake there head in disgust :wink:
That's a real horror story NASHIE. Well done calling the police. I can't blame you not wanting the decommissioned pistol back as that is still a big responsibility to take care of.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue May 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi again NASHIE, Ive been pondering your 'find' and contemplating just who carefully stashed away a loaded pistol in your laundry? Why; was it done as a criminal act or was it done out of fear?

As the police told you, a German fellow lived there in the 1950's and he had registered firearms. I suppose it stands to reason he was the one who hid the pistol originally. I'm guessing Australia could have been a reasonably hostile place for a German person just after World War 2? Perhaps a hidden pistol may have been a bit of self protection and piece of mind for him? I find it difficult for me to relate to this type of fear as I have never felt out of place and been looked on with suspicion. Hasn't Australia changed over the past 60 years?

Such an intriguing mystery and one that will probably never be answered.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue May 22, 2018 4:07 pm

GaryF wrote:Hi again NASHIE, Ive been pondering your 'find' and contemplating just who carefully stashed away a loaded pistol in your laundry? Why; was it done as a criminal act or was it done out of fear?

As the police told you, a German fellow lived there in the 1950's and he had registered firearms. I suppose it stands to reason he was the one who hid the pistol originally. I'm guessing Australia could have been a reasonably hostile place for a German person just after World War 2? Perhaps a hidden pistol may have been a bit of self protection and piece of mind for him? I find it difficult for me to relate to this type of fear as I have never felt out of place and been looked on with suspicion. Hasn't Australia changed over the past 60 years?

Such an intriguing mystery and one that will probably never be answered.
Well there is more to the story. When telling the neighbour about the pistol at the time, she went on to tell us a few years earlier a tenant in the house investigated some loose floor boards and found 2 rifles stored beneath, which would be a gun cabinet at the time i guess. We also found 6-7 very large bullets/shells buried in the back yard when digging out a tree stump. These where a good 250mm long with 3 of them still attached to a metal clip type arrangement. I 'very carefully' gave these to friend at work who is into this stuff. The German must off past away while still living at the house to leave all this gear behind. I will see if the photos made it of my phone and onto the PC and learn how to post pics again on the site.

Looks like i nutted it out. Cant find bullet pics. Quick search and the pistol sounds a lot older than WW2

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 22, 2018 5:20 pm

Interesting, can't imagine these would have been readily available in Australia (at any time) and can only assume our German friend brought it with..

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue May 22, 2018 6:10 pm

Aren't phones great these days? I wish I used my phone's camera more often.

That little pistol looks like it could be easily concealed on your body. It does look quite suspicious. I was expecting to see a larger weapon but this little pistol just gives me the feeling of it being used for dishonest purposes.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 22, 2018 6:20 pm

GaryF wrote:Aren't phones great these days? I wish I used my phone's camera more often.

That little pistol looks like it could be easily concealed on your body. It does look quite suspicious. I was expecting to see a larger weapon but this little pistol just gives me the feeling of it being used for dishonest purposes.
I was also expecting a Luger or Walther.
Little pistols like this were primarily sold/marketed as personal defense. Walther had something similar as did Mauser (and others). Weird calibre options for these little things.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 pm

I suppose the location and condition of the pistol does point to personal defence as you say 10speedsemiracer. Stashed away behind a trough. loaded and wrapped in waxed paper does indicate that this weapon could be called on at any time and be in a condition to work. I suppose it's small size lends itself to be hidden.

This guy, the original owner, must have been expecting trouble.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 22, 2018 11:00 pm

GaryF wrote:I suppose the location and condition of the pistol does point to personal defence as you say 10speedsemiracer. Stashed away behind a trough. loaded and wrapped in waxed paper does indicate that this weapon could be called on at any time and be in a condition to work. I suppose it's small size lends itself to be hidden.

This guy, the original owner, must have been expecting trouble.
or he had rats..

Marbevoc

Postby Marbevoc » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:39 am

Hi,

I live in Belgium and have exactly the same bike, though in a poor condition, i'm planning to restore it.
The bikes are Colnago Super from 1991 and were used by the Belgian Team 'Collstrop - Isoglass'.
As you have described it, it seemed to be completely original with the Suntour group.

Regards,

Alex