Hartley ladies bike - interested in any information.

carlowe

Hartley ladies bike - interested in any information.

Postby carlowe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:38 pm

I have had a Hartley ladies bike for quite a few years now. I thought it was post WWII but after seeing the example below I think it might be earlier. It doesn't have the heart cutouts,but nor does the other one. It also has the Red Ensign and the British flag in decals on the frame. Any thoughts welcome.

This is my bike (hope the links work ok):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zhECaaX8YyzxgUSt1

This is my reference, another one of these researched and done up locally in Bendigo, but with a different paint scheme:
https://twitter.com/bikebendigo/status/ ... 4654323712

Cheers.

Torana68

Re: Hartley ladies bike - interested in any information.

Postby Torana68 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:04 am

Looks fiftees to me, especially with the flags which seemed to arrive around the time of the Queens inauguration , the other one doesn't look early twenties either :)
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:11 am

As I understand it the red duster was the civil flag until 1953, just after the Queen's inauguration.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:35 pm

find_bruce wrote:As I understand it the red duster was the civil flag until 1953, just after the Queen's inauguration.
sorta, our flag was flown first in 1901 but you were not allowed to reproduce or display our flag without a ton of bureaucratic nonsence, . To get around the nonsence the red Ensign was used as it was able to be used. You will find it on comerative plates and as a hand held flag for waving as well as decals etc.

carlowe

Postby carlowe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Torana68 - I hear you. The lady pictured with it in the old photo is definitely not dressed for the 20s, looks 1940s / wartime style to me. Apparently she was a former Bendigo bishop's mum.
However it could be a hand-me-down...and as there is a chain of information there from living people, it might not be completely implausible.

I did look up the red ensign, and it has been around long enough that doesn't act as a date marker for the bike.

I have a Master Sports ladies built by Meotor Soaees Elizabeth St Melbourne. It has the same old rims, the flat ridged ones (forgot the name) but a straight top bar. Looking through old ads, I see more of the curved frame early on, and the straight frame seems more common 40s/50s.

I am trying to get in touch with the restorers "Doug and Trish Black" but had no responses from the sources I can find.

carlowe

Postby carlowe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Oh dear...finger typing on the phone has never been my strength. "Motor Spares" that should read. Heh!

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:56 pm

carlowe wrote: ........................I did look up the red ensign, and it has been around long enough that doesn't act as a date marker for the bike.
it sorta does as it wasn't in general use on bikes till early '50's (cant say I've seen it in use pre 50's but you never know) then gone again once we were able to reproduce /display our own flag (within limits) by the 60's