Can any identify this old (late 80's / early 90's?) Apollo. (Pics now fixed)

uart

Can any identify this old (late 80's / early 90's?) Apollo. (Pics now fixed)

Postby uart » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:20 pm

There are no recognisable markings left on the the frame, except for the very generic looking "Apollo" written on the chain stay protector.

There is a serial near the bottom of the down tube on the underside. It's a bit hard to read through the paint (not stamped very deep) which I *think* reads: P8204583 (or at least something close to that).

There is probably also a serial under the BB shell, but the cable guide is riveted there and I haven't removed it yet.

Here are some photos. Sorry these were just with a phone in kind of poor light conditions so not very sharp. It had only had a bit of a spray down with WD40 at this stage so it's pretty cruddy (most of the crud is just a mixture of WD40 and dirt). I've cleaned it up a bit more since then (finally got that dammed reflective tape off) and it looks like it will come up reasonably well.

Tim

Re: Can any identify this old (late 80's / early 90's?) Apollo. (Pics now fixed)

Postby Tim » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:46 pm

My guess is the frame is a Tange Infinity Cr-Mo.
I had a circa 1988 Gemini "Club 105" which looked identical.
Mid-range, not bad, but nothing special.
That bike kicked off my distance cycling obsession. Starting with the 1989 Great Vic Bike Ride, then Audax, then racing.

uart

Re: Can any identify this old (late 80's / early 90's?) Apollo. (Pics now fixed)

Postby uart » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:58 pm

Tim wrote:My guess is the frame is a Tange Infinity Cr-Mo.
I had a circa 1988 Gemini "Club 105" which looked identical.
Mid-range, not bad, but nothing special.
That bike kicked off my distance cycling obsession. Starting with the 1989 Great Vic Bike Ride, then Audax, then racing.
Thanks Tim. Yeah nothing too special but I think it's worth getting it on the road again.

This one had pretty much had all "Exage Sport" components including the hubs (bike is complete but the wheels need a bit of work), so probably not as good as the "Club 105" you had. I'm pretty sure it's Cr-Mo though.

The only other thing that identified it as Apollo was an old tatty plastic/vinyl saddle that had "Apollo" written in white across the back of it. On the underside of the plastic shell of the saddle is stamped "Velo" and a date (year) code stamped "88". So late 80's definitely seems to be on the money.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:55 pm

uart wrote:... I think it's worth getting it on the road again.
I would.
They were a good frame.
My Gemini cost almost $1000 back in the day. It'd probably equate to a two to two and a half thousand dollar bike nowadays.

Burnsy

Postby Burnsy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:51 pm

Apollo Delta came with that exact paint layout and was available in White/Magenta according to the catelog I have. It does however specify it as being fitted with “Suntour Blaze ensemble of indexed gears, Ovaltech chainwheel and CS Pro 500 brakes”. No details on tubing other than “competition angled chromoly main tubing on the frame” . Closest thing to a date is the quoting of 1986 helmet impact specs so I would say it is probably around 1988.

Burnsy

Postby Burnsy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:56 pm

And the models from low to high are specified as:
Clipper 10 speed
Jaguar 12 Speed
Access 12 Speed - Suntour Accushift Indexed gears
Eclipse 12 Speed - Shimano SIS Indexed gears
Delta 12 Speed - Suntour Blaze
Concorde 14 Speed - Shimano’s new LX ensemble
Team 14 Speed - Shimano 105

uart

Postby uart » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:20 pm

Burnsy wrote:And the models from low to high are specified as:
Clipper 10 speed
Jaguar 12 Speed
Access 12 Speed - Suntour Accushift Indexed gears
Eclipse 12 Speed - Shimano SIS Indexed gears
Delta 12 Speed - Suntour Blaze
Concorde 14 Speed - Shimano’s new LX ensemble
Team 14 Speed - Shimano 105
Ok thanks Bursy. After an image search I now believe that it is a Concorde, but probably the model prior to the one with 14 speed LX ensemble, because it didn't have that.

Take a look at the 6th and 12th posts in this thread here: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16236
Apart from some missing decals on mine, this one looks identical in every way, components and all. Even the rims and hubs (not shown in my photos) look like they are probably the same as this one. So I'd say this is definitely what I've got here. :)

JRC19S

Postby JRC19S » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:58 pm

I’d agree it is a Concorde

FYI I bought one from Ashfield cycles in 1989 a 12 speed 52/40 6sp rear 13-21

I still have it and I’m thinking of taking it to Wollongong this November for the MS ride

30 years though suggests to me if I could successfully fit a 36 tooth front and maybe a 14-24 or similar to the back I’d have a more enjoyable time...any ideas

uart

Postby uart » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:47 am

JRC19S wrote:I’d agree it is a Concorde

FYI I bought one from Ashfield cycles in 1989 a 12 speed 52/40 6sp rear 13-21

I still have it and I’m thinking of taking it to Wollongong this November for the MS ride

30 years though suggests to me if I could successfully fit a 36 tooth front and maybe a 14-24 or similar to the back I’d have a more enjoyable time...any ideas
The original Exage crankset has a 130 mm BCD, which means that the smallest chainring you can fit is 39T. Six speed freewheels are still readily available in 14-28T (and at pretty low cost), so without even touching the chainrings you can get 42/28, which is exactly the same ratio as 36/24). Or if you want to also change the inner chainring to 39T you can get another step (about 8%) lower.

To get much lower than 39/28 though, you'd probably need to swap out the cranks for a compact set (like 46/34 or similar).

uart

Postby uart » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:11 am

BTW. Interesting that this thread was bumped, coincidentally I've just put that old Concord back on the road in the past few weeks. Taken it for a few short rides recently, and TBH it's not a bad ride.

Here is how it currently looks. Excuse the old tatty cracked leather saddle, I had a newer better looking one on there but it just wasn't as comfortable. I think I'll cover it in some new leather soon.